NEWS: Sony Android TVs add Now TV app in UK

Must be a side to get ready for the androidgoogleyoutubestreamingchromecastv3 tv stick launch :thumbsup:

The native app works very well on my Sony XF90. Much better than chromecasting to the TV. The recent addition of BT Sport was appreciated. Android TV finally delivering a near full suite of apps on my 2018 TV. Even the HayU app is working properly now which keeps the other half (and sometimes me) happy.

Only thing missing for me is Apple TV+ which newer TV models have. Not sure why it can't be rolled out to older TVs - assume it's a sweetner for buying new TVs.

Wish Sony allowed all apps to come under one banner rather than have the UK catch-up under Sony Select.

edit - Apple TV app not yet native on newer Sony TVs but supposed to be coming to some later this year. AirPlay 2 support for now though on some models.

Last edited:
The native app works very well on my Sony XF90. Much better than chromecasting to the TV. The recent addition of BT Sport was appreciated. Android TV finally delivering a near full suite of apps on my 2018 TV. Even the HayU app is working properly now which keeps the other half (and sometimes me) happy.

Only thing missing for me is Apple TV+ which newer TV models have. Not sure why it can't be rolled out to older TVs - assume it's a sweetner for buying new TVs.

Wish Sony allowed all apps to come under one banner rather than have the UK catch-up under Sony Select.
No Sony android tvs have apple tv app yet... some models have the airplay 2 feature, so users can mirror content from apple devices to their sony tv. So far, we are all waiting for the apple tv app to appear on android tv platform...

No Sony android tvs have apple tv app yet... some models have the airplay 2 feature, so users can mirror content from apple devices to their sony tv. So far, we are all waiting for the apple tv app to appear on android tv platform...

My mistake. If they can add Apple TV app to the Android TV I’d be delighted and would maybe finally consider buying a Sony TV again in future. It annoys me that there is no perfect platform with TV features and apps. Love WebOS on my LG OLED but no Apple TV app on my B6 and no BT Sport on WebOS at all.

Boost makes Now TV an acceptable proposition, especially with the 50 FPS Sky Sports channels.

My mistake. If they can add Apple TV app to the Android TV I’d be delighted and would maybe finally consider buying a Sony TV again in future. It annoys me that there is no perfect platform with TV features and apps. Love WebOS on my LG OLED but no Apple TV app on my B6 and no BT Sport on WebOS at all.

Boost makes Now TV an acceptable proposition, especially with the 50 FPS Sky Sports channels.

So let's hope our waiting will end soon 😉

Does the Boost pss work properly on the Sony TVs that are now supported — full HD and 5.1 audio? Watching NowTV without that is pretty pointless, IMO.

Does the Boost pss work properly on the Sony TVs that are now supported — full HD and 5.1 audio? Watching NowTV without that is pretty pointless, IMO.

Yes. Unfortuately, for someone like me that is very sensitive to refresh rate/frame rate mismatch, the app refreshes at the AndroidTV default of 60hz so its not quite perfect.

Fortunately I've had a NowTV stick for 2 years so I've been able to enjoy boost perfectly since it was released in November last year. :)

Be really nice to see them add this to Google TV or Android TV in general. Similar to iPlayer, who can we lobby to make it happen!

This is good news for Sony TV owners, and the fact that the Boost pass works is a big plus. This certainly puts Sony TVs on my next TV list. It paints Panasonic in a poor light though. Their app. support looks very weak by comparison — no AppleTV, Disney+ or NowTV. Very poor. Now all Sky need to do is to sort out the mess that is the NowTV app. on AppleTV boxes.

This is good news for Sony TV owners, and the fact that the Boost pass works is a big plus. This certainly puts Sony TVs on my next TV list. It paints Panasonic in a poor light though. Their app. support looks very weak by comparison — no AppleTV, Disney+ or NowTV. Very poor. Now all Sky need to do is to sort out the mess that is the NowTV app. on AppleTV boxes.

There is a working beta with full boost support for tvOS that is being trialled atm. Trying to get my hands on it but haven't been able to contact the trials manager as of yet.

Due to be released in Autmun though so I am checking the thread every day to see if it has been :')

Last edited:
Like this you mean?
DSC_0100.JPG

Sideload the Hoshsadiq shortcuts from github (edit except My5 which is on the Play Store) and add them to home and apps. Works great

Last edited:
Never heard of it before. Will give it a go. Looks like that will do the trick!

Thank you!
Install My5 from play store, sideload all others from github. They are shortcuts to the webapps, so note you will have 2 versions of the app on the TV, one on Sony select, another which you can place in home and apps etc. The shortcuts can also work without youview activated, though you still need to have accepted youview t and c's for itv and ch4

Re
The setting for boost 5.1 sound is a little obscure. In the app scroll down to the bottom past all the content and there are some settings. Select my account and go into boost settings (which looks like a now tv "pass" button), where you can change the stereo default to the 5.1 surround option. It doesn't appear to make any difference if the tv app setting is DD or DD+

Yes, that caught me out when I tried to set-up the Boost pass on the NowTV app. on my LG TV. The NowTV interface is very poor, but then most things offered by Sky seem half-baked to me.

I find it despicable that one has to pay extra for the boost. Nowtv without it is redundant in my opinion...

I find it despicable that one has to pay extra for the boost. Nowtv without it is redundant in my opinion...

Let's not forget that most basic Netflix package is only SD and view on 1 device at a time, at least it was the last time.i checked. Next tier is HD and 2 packages. Top tier is 4K, HDR, Atmos and view on 4 devices at same time?

Let's not forget that most basic Netflix package is only SD and view on 1 device at a time, at least it was the last time.i checked. Next tier is HD and 2 packages. Top tier is 4K, HDR, Atmos and view on 4 devices at same time?

correct the basic package is 480p 1 screen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom