NEWS: Sony launches Apple TV app on XH90 TVs

Other models will follow soon apparently.
And it's about time! I have been contemplating getting an Apple TV device but might make do with the app.

The advantages of a hardware Apple TV device though are:
- More likely to be updated faster/better than the Android TV app
- You can use it for all the UK catch up apps that you can still ridiculously only get on Sony TV by installing YouView (no thanks!)
- You can get Dolby Atmos support in the Disney+ app which you ridiculously cannot get in the Sony Android TV Disney+ app (so annoying!)
- Likely lots of other apps that are available and/or better than Android TV versions
- Apple Arcade support (if that tickles your fancy)

However, there is strong rumour that Apple is developing new Apple TV devices for release "sometime soon" so I have been reluctant to get one of the existing devices.

Ain't technology fun!

PK

Reported here too: Apple TV Finally Lands On Sony TVs

All-in-all good news. Newer Sony TVs get the NowTV app and AppleTV. That, in my book, makes them worthy of consideration now that they have a full line-up of apps., like LG and Samsung TVs have. I’m still not a fan of Android TV but I can forgive that. I still have my Sony HD TVs, which are still going strong. As my main 4K LG TV is acting up, having a Sony option is welcome news. I’m sure I read somewhere that newer Sony TVs with DSAT tuners would be getting a Freesat overlay, or am I mistaken?

This latest update definitely paints Panasonic in a poor light. The lack of app. support on their TVs really makes them non-runners in my book.

Reported here too: Apple TV Finally Lands On Sony TVs

All-in-all good news. Newer Sony TVs get the NowTV app and AppleTV. That, in my book, makes them worthy of consideration now that they have a full line-up of apps., like LG and Samsung TVs have. I’m still not a fan of Android TV but I can forgive that. I still have my Sony HD TVs, which are still going strong. As my main 4K LG TV is acting up, having a Sony option is welcome news. I’m sure I read somewhere that newer Sony TVs with DSAT tuners would be getting a Freesat overlay, or am I mistaken?

I agree and the Android 9 is really slick. The days of slow android on Sony sets is just a memory now.

Just hope the XF90 is one of the 2018 TVs to get the updated app. Currently using a 4k Firestick for Apple TV app on my XF90 in the bedroom. At that point I will probably be able to drop the Firestick as everything I need (app-wise) will be catered for. The requirement of YouView for the UK catch-up apps is baffling and the default location of these apps (Sony Select) is still poor but at least there are workarounds for some things.

My LG B6 OLED doesn't have Apple TV+, BT Sport, NowTV with full Boost support (50fps) or HayU. If it added those 4 then it would also provide me with a complete set of apps - I will still use my Apple TV 4k for now to cover those apps and because the B6 doesn't pass Atmos over DD+.

Be interesting to see if any one can test the app and the resulting picture quality from iTunes movies through this app vs Apple TV hardware. I've long held the belief (as have many others) that Dolby Vision through the Apple device is running way too dark as its an older profile and a low latency version of Dolby Vision which translates as not tracking correctly. I think this is mainly because the heavy lifting is left to the device which can't accurately map to the TV's parameters.

It's by far my biggest bugbear of Apple TV hardware and the reason I have been long awaiting the app to see if this resolves the issue as I am deeply integrated into the Apple ecosystem and have purchased over 100+ movies so far, many of which have Dolby Vision.

In other developments, @Built To Chill has suggested that the bitrate may be capped on some devices (Amazon Fire TV specifically) so I'd be keen to confirm somehow if this is also the case on the Sony app. Hopefully not!

Just hope the XF90 is one of the 2018 TVs to get the updated app. Currently using a 4k Firestick for Apple TV app on my XF90 in the bedroom. At that point I will probably be able to drop the Firestick as everything I need (app-wise) will be catered for. The requirement of YouView for the UK catch-up apps is baffling and the default location of these apps (Sony Select) is still poor but at least there are workarounds for some things.

My LG B6 OLED doesn't have Apple TV+, BT Sport, NowTV with full Boost support (50fps) or HayU. If it added those 4 then it would also provide me with a complete set of apps - I will still use my Apple TV 4k for now to cover those apps and because the B6 doesn't pass Atmos over DD+.

Out of curiosity, why would you be concerned about having apps on the tv, or using a firestick when you have ATV4K?

Out of curiosity, why would you be concerned about having apps on the tv, or using a firestick when you have ATV4K?

My Apple TV is in use in the living room on the LG tv. The Sony has all the apps I need except for the Apple TV app - I have many of my favourite movies via iTunes codes/purchases. Saves me buying a 2nd Apple TV or having to use the Firestick if the TV gets updated with the app.

My Apple TV is in use in the living room on the LG tv. The Sony has all the apps I need except for the Apple TV app - I have many of my favourite movies via iTunes codes/purchases. Saves me buying a 2nd Apple TV or having to use the Firestick if the TV gets updated with the app.

Ahh makes sense. I was wondering whether there were any benefits besides convenience. I too, have to move my ATV from room to room.

Ahh makes sense. I was wondering whether there were any benefits besides convenience. I too, have to move my ATV from room to room.
I was personally hoping that as well as Dolby Vision being improved there would be better sharpness to HD iTunes movies as the TV is MUCH better at upscaling HD than the ATV device. I find that the case with in built Netflix app vs Netflix upscaled via external devices for example.

Don't the Hoshsadiq sideload catch up app shortcuts work on the xh? I have them all in home and apps with youview turned off on my XF

Don't the Hoshsadiq sideload catch up app shortcuts work on the xh? I have them all in home and apps with youview turned off on my XF
I’ve only got the XF90 so cant say from experience on the XH but read someone say it didn’t work for them.

Agreed, best having all the catchup in the one apps line than split across sections.

Other models will follow soon apparently.
And it's about time! I have been contemplating getting an Apple TV device but might make do with the app.

The advantages of a hardware Apple TV device though are:
- More likely to be updated faster/better than the Android TV app
- You can use it for all the UK catch up apps that you can still ridiculously only get on Sony TV by installing YouView (no thanks!)
- You can get Dolby Atmos support in the Disney+ app which you ridiculously cannot get in the Sony Android TV Disney+ app (so annoying!)
- Likely lots of other apps that are available and/or better than Android TV versions
- Apple Arcade support (if that tickles your fancy)

However, there is strong rumour that Apple is developing new Apple TV devices for release "sometime soon" so I have been reluctant to get one of the existing devices.

Ain't technology fun!

PK
I decided this week to get Apple TV 4K, because my Sony XG95 (former model to the XH95) was so inconsistent (complete sound cut outs) when play higher definition formats like Atmos with the internal app like Netflix, Prime, ... .

I don't have the issue when playing this via the Apple TV 4K, even with Dolby Vision and Atmos.
It's a way better UX than my Sony Android TV.

I decided this week to get Apple TV 4K, because my Sony XG95 (former model to the XH95) was so inconsistent (complete sound cut outs) when play higher definition formats like Atmos with the internal app like Netflix, Prime, ... .

I don't have the issue when playing this via the Apple TV 4K, even with Dolby Vision and Atmos.
It's a way better UX than my Sony Android TV.

What way did the sound cut out?

@Morden
When playing Netflix for example and mainly when playing a HD or Atmos audio format, the sound randomly and completely cuts out, while the image keeps playing perfectly. The only thing you can do at that point is restart the TV and hope It doesn't happen again for awhile.

@Morden
When playing Netflix for example and mainly when playing a HD or Atmos audio format, the sound randomly and completely cuts out, while the image keeps playing perfectly. The only thing you can do at that point is restart the TV and hope It doesn't happen again for awhile.

That does sound like something is wrong with firmware or app.
Did you raise a support ticket?

That does sound like something is wrong with firmware or app.
Did you raise a support ticket?
I’ve been in contact with Sony Support since 2020 January when I first bought the TV.
They even changed my motherboard, and change from wireless connection to wired just to check and nothing helped.

Can any one attest to how this Apple TV app performs picture quality wise as compared to the original Apple TV? When watching Dolby Vision movies in particular? Some of us feel the (via HDMI) Apple TV device renders Dolby Vision content too dark because of the low latency implementation.

I know there are MANY of us on other threads with different models (I have an AF9) chomping at the bit to find out what it's like. Doesn't seem we'll be getting it any time soon though.

Would really appreciate any thoughts!

Can any one attest to how this Apple TV app performs picture quality wise as compared to the original Apple TV? When watching Dolby Vision movies in particular? Some of us feel the (via HDMI) Apple TV device renders Dolby Vision content too dark because of the low latency implementation.

I know there are MANY of us on other threads with different models (I have an AF9) chomping at the bit to find out what it's like. Doesn't seem we'll be getting it any time soon though.

Would really appreciate any thoughts!
I'll keep it short and sweet, I would say the Apple TV 4K (not the HD version) has better playback overall than the TV with the app on it's own.

I'll keep it short and sweet, I would say the Apple TV 4K (not the HD version) has better playback overall than the TV with the app on it's own.
THhanks, in all honesty not the answer I was hoping for and a bit ambiguous as to why but appreciate your time.

THhanks, in all honesty not the answer I was hoping for and a bit ambiguous as to why but appreciate your time.
The processor in your and my Sony TV are the same and have the same shortcomings concerning playback. Also an OLED panel is less bright overall, so if you have issues with the content being to dark especially in DV, I would say you bought the wrong TV. You can always choose another mode to view the content in, but that beats the purpose of having a DV capable TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom