NEWS: Sony PS5 design finally revealed

Horses for courses, i think its gorgeous

Personally I don’t like it, especially as I always tend to have consoles sitting horizontally under the TV.

I think Sony are trying to be radical and different without bothering if it actually genuinely looks good. This will have a bit of a wow factor in a 14 year old’s bedroom but won’t sit well in and actual adult/family living room IMHO.

It‘s not a deal breaker and won’t affect my usual PS purchase but I seem to be one of the few not wowed by it. I might even wait for the inevitable Slim or whatever they call the update to see if they tighten up the design a bit.

Thanks @Andy Bassett.

Perhaps I missed it, but is the disc drive a UHD drive? And if so do we know if it will be a well featured UHD player, ie with Dolby Vision?

Cheers

Thanks @Andy Bassett.

Perhaps I missed it, but is the disc drive a UHD drive? And if so do we know if it will be a well featured UHD player, ie with Dolby Vision?

Cheers

Yes it’s a UHD drive. No word on whether it’s got DV, but you know you’re getting HDR10.

Personally I don’t like it, especially as I always tend to have consoles sitting horizontally under the TV.

I think Sony are trying to be radical and different without bothering if it actually genuinely looks good. This will have a bit of a wow factor in a 14 year old’s bedroom but won’t sit well in and actual adult/family living room IMHO.

It‘s not a deal breaker and won’t affect my usual PS purchase but I seem to be one of the few not wowed by it. I might even wait for the inevitable Slim or whatever they call the update to see if they tighten up the design a bit.

I really don’t think Sony have built something merely trying to be radical. It’s certainly different, I’ll give you that.

But people will put it on its side, slide it into their units and happy days.

At least you can’t fault them for taking the easy approach like they could have done given how well they’ve done this current generation.

It’s kind of crazy to think that in 2012/13 Sony were regarded as the ‘kings of hardware’ building sleek designs and MS were about to reveal their Xbox one. A console mocked for its size and lack of power. Now we have Sony releasing a less powerful, seemingly far larger console than Xbox. Crazy times. Also I think it’s ugly. Like seriously ugly. Just don’t like the white wrapper. I’d say digital only is the way to go because with the disc drive....sheesh....

I really like the design. It's bold, interesting and at long last different to the standard black boxes everyone churns out. It will divide opinion of course. Hopefully it'll fit somewhere in my AV unit.
At the end of the day though it's the games that matter, I hardly ever look at my consoles these days :D

I see they have put vents all round the edges, so I'm hoping the jet engine that is the ps4 will finally be sorted from the off.

She's a big girl and I like it
20200612_091013.jpg

Odd design considering most people will lie them flat under the TV. I guess they are really focusing on the kid market and less on families which might be less inclined to allow this into the lounge.

I’d say digital only is the way to go because with the disc drive....sheesh....
So you’re choosing form over function?
If you were already planning on going all digital then no need for the disc drive, but otherwise...

Personally, I like it.
Worst design is still the original PS3
76080277-64B7-436A-899B-AF5D2418F70D.jpeg

Not a fan and I don’t think it’s going to age well. Not something I’ve ever done before but I will be tempted to “wrap” this if someone puts out a plain black kit for it.

So you’re choosing form over function?
If you were already planning on going all digital then no need for the disc drive, but otherwise...

Personally, I like it.
Worst design is still the original PS3
View attachment 1316327

I've been all digital gaming wise since 2015/16. I use my UHD drive for the odd 3d movie and odd 4K disc. But I can definitely live without that.

The PS5 will be my one stop shop - discs for the 4k films, digital for the games. Best of both worlds.

Until you run out of storage. Literally chopping and changing my games library each week to have to make space for new downloads. Having to do it today again with the release of Project Warlock. Bloody Game Pass has spoiled me.

XCloud's official release can't come fast enough.

After letting this sit overnight... kinda hate it. Feels a bit like, well, you know when you watch a low-ish budget sci-fi film and they've clearly gone to a lot of effort to make props look and feel futuristic but when you look closely it's clearly an iPhone in a weird case? That's the vibe I'm getting from this. You can clearly see the usual black box and then there's a white anorak draped over the top. It sorta kinda works for the digital version but the bulge on the more traditional disk model is just weird.

Bigger concern for me is noise. Pretty much the entire PS4 range struggled with that in one form or another while the entire XB1 family nailed it. Granted the original XB1 did so by having a huge chassis and corresponding giant fan but hey, it worked! Obviously we'll need to wait and see but looking at that design and the *actual* console wrapped up in the white shell I'm a bit apprehensive.

Surprised that they introduced a new camera but no new VR headset. Maybe they don't want to have very expensive bundles out there at launch for fear of misleading headlines? Of course with all of this the devil's in the details but haven't seen anything so far that has me considering moving away from Xbox as my primary platform. PS4 Pro can carry on for a year or two longer until things settle down a bit...

That XSX is massive :-O That wouldn't fit in my AV rack. Thankfully the PS5 will when it's horizontal.
To be fair the XSX doesn't look that much wider than the ps5 in that photo but is shorter and shallower. I'll be interested to see a teardown to see how the cooling works, the first dive in to the XSX gave great and unprecedented details on a new console and really made the point that cooling was front and centre for the new design.

My set up now has the consoles either side of the TV so either could fit in there easy and not be seen but neither seem ideal for you're non enthusiasts living room.

Until you run out of storage. Literally chopping and changing my games library each week to have to make space for new downloads. Having to do it today again with the release of Project Warlock. Bloody Game Pass has spoiled me.

I only need 2/3 games on the device at any one time so should be sweet as!

Fttp needs to start becoming more common. Now we have it with gigabit speeds I just don't care about space limitations as it's not a planning exercise to play a game having to download them or patches anymore. With an actual ultrafast connection smaller hard drives are less of an issue l, 9 or 10 games installed is enough and I can just delete and download a new one in at most a couple of hours, even less if you can start after the first 15% is done.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom