NEWS: Sony PS5 design finally revealed

As always its about the games.

Will stick with my RTX 2080Ti gaming PC for now and unlikely to be a day one buyer of either of these new systems. I do tend to buy PlayStation for its exclusives as the best XBox games get to PC anyway.

First time my PS4Pro will be switched on this month when my "Last Of Us II" arrives :thumbsup:

Design isn't a deal breaker for me for either of them.

Not convinced by the ps5 design but at least it doesn't look like my wheely bin like the new xbox

Like it less the more I look at it. The digital version is better without the ugly disc slot, but forced to pay virtually stagnant and over priced (compared to disc) is not for me yet. I know they have sales etc and I'm sure the games prices will stay higher than before (looking at you Nintendo Switch), but still.

But this is obviously still a purchase at some point, but that point will be after the Xbox.

Got mine with Prime Now :rotfl:
Screenshot_20200612-075920_WhatsApp.jpg
Not a massive fan, yes striking to look at, probably look better in black.

I don't agree with the digital pricing being stagnant. If you are patient there are plenty of sales and I've bagged pretty much all the big titles for £20 to £25 from the store.
Nintendo are an entirely different animal and keep their prices higher than most (although they do have sales too).
Granted there's more opporuntity for a gaming bargain on PC, but the PS4 hasn't been that expensive for me by being purely digital.

Very good, Sir. :clap:

1591954725730.png

Someone mentioned about VR not being mentioned, and I think that would've been too much for this presentation. We may get another announcement further down the line, albeit smaller. The new camera is sorely needed as the current one is pretty old tech now. I suspect they'll keep compatibility with the current PSVR headset, which is still pretty good. The new camera may improved tracking.

They may also come out with a 2nd gen PSVR with inside out tracking and new controllers, but that purely (partly wishful) speculation on my part and I've no evidence to base that apart from where else the VR industry has been headed.

Personally I don’t like it, especially as I always tend to have consoles sitting horizontally under the TV.

I think Sony are trying to be radical and different without bothering if it actually genuinely looks good. This will have a bit of a wow factor in a 14 year old’s bedroom but won’t sit well in and actual adult/family living room IMHO.

Agreed. The console looks “cool” for kids but looks out of place in a grown up living room if not hidden away (with poor ventilation).

I want to get the new playstation but i don’t want to get this design. If they have an all black version that stands out less, I’d get that.

Otherwise, I’ll just wait until there are a few really good games which twist my arm. Until then, FF7, TLOU2, GoT and my backlog will keep me busy on the PS4 Pro and Witcher 3, Jedi Fallen Order and Halo: Infinite (when released) plus my other backlog, will keep my busy on my Xbox One X.

At this stage, I’m in no rush to get the PS5, which is saying something given I bought the OG PS4 and Xbox One X (not the OG One) on day one - perhaps I’m getting old....I do often feel like I’d rather watch a film than go on an endless series of fetch quests for several hours which can feel like a to do list.

How much is it going to light up blue as well when powered on...?

In some ways I feel sorry for the designers of the PS5 with all these memes, I'm sure there was an incredible amount of work that went into the design.
But then it's also free advertising for the PS5, and I'm sure a lot of it is done with some affection for the brand. :)
Happened with the Series X as well, people are just too quick!!

In some ways I feel sorry for the designers of the PS5 with all these memes, I'm sure there was an incredible amount of work that went into the design.
But then it's also free advertising for the PS5, and I'm sure a lot of it is done with some affection for the brand. :)

Worry not, most designers have pretty tough skin. I remember speaking to a few guys at NVIDIA after their now infamous FX5800 Ultra with an incredibly noisy radial fan and neon green fan shroud got the meme treatment, and they all thought it was pretty funny.

Anything apart from a "safe" design will be polarising, and I doubt it will have much of an impact on sales tbh.

If it turns out that the PS5 is quiet in operation as a result of the rather large form factor, nobody is going to care enough about the visual design.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the memes, getting the image propagated around the internet is not a bad thing, same with the series x, if you didn't know new consoles were coming out this year, you do now.

But this could be the first gen that this happens:

Dad, I wanna PS5

What, 500 notes, no chance

But Dad, it plays all my PS4 games

Really? ok, I'll get us a PS5 and pick up Cyberpunk cheap from cex

Thanks for the PS5 Dad, look how big this thing is, but where do I put the disc?

I'm not keen on the look but it doesn't really bother me - my 'adult living room' tends to be strewn with comics and sci-fi toys so it will fit in nicely.

Never played Demon Souls so looking forward to that.

I wouldn't worry about the memes, getting the image propagated around the internet is not a bad thing, same with the series x, if you didn't know new consoles were coming out this year, you do now.

But this could be the first gen that this happens:

Dad, I wanna PS5

What, 500 notes, no chance

But Dad, it plays all my PS4 games

Really? ok, I'll get us a PS5 and pick up Cyberpunk cheap from cex

Thanks for the PS5 Dad, look how big this thing is, but where do I put the disc?
I actually know people who made the same mistake with the Xbox Digital console, so that is very plausible! But in comparison they paid about 150 for the console!

Be interesting to see the prices for both PS5 consoles and Series X.

I won't think twice up to 499 for Xbox, anything more might make me wait a little...

Yeah, no way digital PS5 is going to be significantly less than pregnant PS5, but people will look to save money where they can and may not realise the implications until they dig out their beloved copy of God of War wanting to experience all the PS5 enhancements that they may have heard about..

I like the digital version.

Can the PS5 be laid on its side?

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t! They were always going to get grief, no matter what they showed. If they had done another black box, people would saying how boring it was and that they had not moved on. Now this is a bit different, people are hating because, well, that’s just the way we are. Personally, I think it looks pretty cool. I don’t know about you, but I won’t be sat staring at it anyway. Too busy playing the games. I think Sony consoles have always had better games. In my opinion anyway. But each to their own.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom