NEWS: Sony PS5 design finally revealed

Yeah £499 seems about right, although it's still a fair chunk of cash for a console.
For reference
XBox One was £425 in 2013.
Xbox One X was £449 at launch in 2017.
Both PS4 and PS4 Pro were £350 when launched.
They will be as capable as a high end PC for half the price at least. And a 4K Blu-ray player. Not bad.

My first thought was that it looks like someone biting into one end of a sandwich with the filling spilling out the other end.

However, the drive-less version doesn't look too bad on its side, when viewed from the right angle. I suppose it could go on the floor :p

1591956892661.png

1591956848789.png

Please tell me I'm not the only one who saw this?

1591957517792.png

Yeah ok, I'm pretty bored...

Two films spring to mind when looking at it.

Predator - "you're one ugly Motherfudgeer"

The Dark Knight - "and yes Mr. Wayne, it does come in black."

I'm hoping so at least :D

So just to be clear on Sony's strategy here, not as powerful as the XSX, and you would be better off playing it on an LG or Sammy for the best Gaming response? Hmm can't help but be confused by Sony's direction... would prefer to keep everything in the same Eco-system but that seems silly given the Gaming benefits that LG and Sammy have with their HDMI 2.1 feature support?

Ultimately people are going to like what they like-each to their own n all that, but there surely has to be a point where you get past caring.

Comments like "it probably looks cool for kids". It's a games console. Not everything has to be a box and black. I appreciate that they've gone with a bold approach with it.

It’s kind of crazy to think that in 2012/13 Sony were regarded as the ‘kings of hardware’ building sleek designs and MS were about to reveal their Xbox one. A console mocked for its size and lack of power. Now we have Sony releasing a less powerful, seemingly far larger console than Xbox. Crazy times. Also I think it’s ugly. Like seriously ugly. Just don’t like the white wrapper. I’d say digital only is the way to go because with the disc drive....sheesh....
That runs at incredibly high clock speeds and needs to be cool (such seems to be people's #1 bug bear from this gen)... Come on - you know better than that.

Comes back to what I always say. Put it wherever you need to put it and within a week you'll forget it's even there most of the time. Then you'll just become familiar with it and not give it another thought. Most will buy whichever machine they buy regardless of looks and I doubt many, certainly on these forums, are going to make their buying decisions based on looks alone or even at all.

Personally I've always been an XBox person and if I do buy any console it's going to be a Microsoft one and I couldn't care less what it looked like. That said for the first time in 30 years I might skip this generation completely. I rarely play my XB One and neither does my son (who being 13 with both a EA and XBOX Ultimate sub would be on it all the time in theory) so I'm evaluating whether there's any point in the outlay.

I've had at least one console from every generation and I'm still a huge games player but I just don't "get" where console games have gone in the last few generations and the "top" games just don't appeal to me at all any more. Back in the PSX and XBox days the top games were racing, fighting, sports and platform with the likes of Halo and GTA making a strong but broadly limited showing on the Xbox. Now the entire top 20 on both the current generations are FPS and/or open world type affairs. Obviously it's where the money is and I'm clearly not a typical console gamer any more.

We'll see.

Gary

Ultimately people are going to like what they like-each to their own n all that, but there surely has to be a point where you get past caring.

Comments like "it probably looks cool for kids". It's a games console. Not everything has to be a box and black. I appreciate that they've gone with a bold approach with it.
Once the dust has settled, I doubt the ‘look’ of a console will actually be a deciding factor in people’s decision of what console to buy.

They’ll moan about it, but if there’s a killer exclusive game they want to play (on either system), no one in their right mind is going to dismiss buying one because they don’t like the look of the console.
Ultimately it all comes down to what games are available on each console.

That runs at incredibly high clock speeds and needs to be cool (such seems to be people's #1 bug bear from this gen)... Come on - you know better than that.

That's their design choice - I personally think they've messed up their GPU and tried to recover it with higher clock speeds which has a knock on effect. That's no different to MS having to engineer an ESRAM solution last time to solve their memory bandwidth issue. Its a big console - whether you like the look of it comes down to personal taste - its just funny how last time Sony had the more powerful and smaller console. This time its other way round.

Looks OK - but ultimately it'll be underneath the TV in a cabinet, so I'm barely going to notice after a while. As long as it doesn't bloody whine like my PS Pro.

At the moment, the Xbox is definitely the priority, for sure. This maybe early 2021 - and definitely when Spider-Man comes out.

Dont agree with the made with kids in mind comments, its definitely got that fancy gaming PC case look to it with that extra height and the white trim, it doesnt look like a toy or something aimed at kids to me, I dont understand where that comes from tbh.

Overall I find it pleasing to the eye, just glad that they havent gone with the dull, wedge shape of the PS4, that honestly would've put me off far more than this new look.

They've done something different which is to be commended

I like the design a lot, looks distinctive, but not too crazy. Nice that it can still be horizontal or vertical (think the new Xbox is vertical only?). Other colour schemes will also look good on it.

I know the Xbox is more powerful on paper, but both systems are a big jump from this generation, and I suspect differences in performance in multi platform games will really come down to pixel counting and nit-picking.

For me, I play multi-platform games on PC and as I running a 2080Ti, I'm pretty sure it will keep up for a few years to come, so it comes down to console exclusives and backwards compatibility. Microsoft's policy seems to be to promote console and PC gaming equally, so I expect there will be few, if any Xbox titles that don't come to PC, but Sony exclusives will likely remain so for much longer. I own a few dozen PS4 games, but literally one Xbox game (I only really got it as my first UHD player, but I don't even use it for that any more), and from what I have seen the PS5 exclusives still look more appealing that anything on Xbox, so for me the choice is clear.

That said, I haven't bought a console in even the first year of release since Xbox 360, I always wait for the first price drop or second revision, partly because they are almost always better (PS3 Slim, Xbox One S etc.), and because I always have a ridiculous backlog of games (currently going back to the mid 90's), so I am not in any hurry for new stuff.

That's their design choice - I personally think they've messed up their GPU and tried to recover it with higher clock speeds which has a knock on effect. That's no different to MS having to engineer an ESRAM solution last time to solve their memory bandwidth issue. Its a big console - whether you like the look of it comes down to personal taste - its just funny how last time Sony had the more powerful and smaller console. This time its other way round.
Has anybody actually worked out, volumetrically, which console actually is smaller so far?

Looks OK - but ultimately it'll be underneath the TV in a cabinet, so I'm barely going to notice after a while. As long as it doesn't bloody whine like my PS Pro.

At the moment, the Xbox is definitely the priority, for sure. This maybe early 2021 - and definitely when Spider-Man comes out.
Spiderman comes out at launch.

They had to go with a funky design due to the backlash comments the Xbox One got when that was revealed. They've definitely gone mad with cooling just like the One did.

I like the design a lot, looks distinctive, but not too crazy. Nice that it can still be horizontal or vertical (think the new Xbox is vertical only?). Other colour schemes will also look good on it.

I know the Xbox is more powerful on paper, but both systems are a big jump from this generation, and I suspect differences in performance in multi platform games will really come down to pixel counting and nit-picking.

For me, I play multi-platform games on PC and as I running a 2080Ti, I'm pretty sure it will keep up for a few years to come, so it comes down to console exclusives and backwards compatibility. Microsoft's policy seems to be to promote console and PC gaming equally, so I expect there will be few, if any Xbox titles that don't come to PC, but Sony exclusives will likely remain so for much longer. I own a few dozen PS4 games, but literally one Xbox game (I only really got it as my first UHD player, but I don't even use it for that any more), and from what I have seen the PS5 exclusives still look more appealing that anything on Xbox, so for me the choice is clear.

That said, I haven't bought a console in even the first year of release since Xbox 360, I always wait for the first price drop or second revision, partly because they are almost always better (PS3 Slim, Xbox One S etc.), and because I always have a ridiculous backlog of games (currently going back to the mid 90's), so I am not in any hurry for new stuff.
Xbox can go horizontal too

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom