NEWS: Sony PS5 design finally revealed

IF the only difference is the blue ray drive, I cant see it being £100 price diff, maybe £50 at most , it doesn't even have to be a writer which you can get for sub £60 at retail and have been able to for years.

Now there could be an argument for it not to be a standard BD drive, but at some point that really just firmware changes rather than anything majorly specific to PS5 (pure guess work admittedly)

I also don't really think it makes that much difference to Sony whether you buy digitally or physically , you are locked into the eco system by buying the console in the 1st place. Just because x users buy with a br drive doenst mean they wont be buying a large proportion digitally, it just means right now they have a lot of discs they still want to play (and that could be movies as much as games, as per the ps3 when it first came out, not like Sony don't have a history of cross marketing consoles).

Last edited:
IF the only difference is the blue ray drive, I cant see it being £100 price diff, maybe £50 at most , it doesn't even have to be a writer which you can get for sub £60 at retail and have been able to for years.

Now there could be an argument for it not to be a standard BD drive, but at some point that really just firmware changes rather than anything majorly specific to PS5 (pure guess work admittedly)

It's a 4k Ultra HD Drive not a standard Bluray as in PS4, and firmware will not make it ultra HD it's the codec and copy protection that is used which standard blu-ray players simply can not read, it would be like asking a PS3 to play a PS4 game you can make something backwards compatible not forwards.

I disagree I think Sony would very much care if you buy the discless version and they will discount driveless machines more thant the £20 (which is what they cost - actually $20 according to DF) as you have no 2nd hand market by selling on your disc on and all your games are bought from their store directly which they profit from more than discs in shops. not to mention the control on offered they have and when they occur. Over the lifetime of the machine thats a good investment for them too as give a £50-£100 discount.

I do agree that buying a PS5 with a drive is not to say you wont buy digital games but if you have a load of PS4 on disc then it suggests you like disc purchases and will continue to do so at least for some purchases.

It's a 4k Ultra HD Drive not a standard Bluray as in PS4, and firmware will not make it ultra HD it's the codec and copy protection that is used which standard blu-ray players simply can not read, it would be like asking a PS3 to play a PS4 game you can make something backwards compatible not forwards.
yes and 4k drives can be bought for the same kind of price in retail

I was referring to making a standard 4k br drive into a drive that would be required for PS5 use that would require only a firmware update

I also don't really think it makes that much difference to Sony whether you buy digitally or physically , you are locked into the eco system by buying the console in the 1st place. Just because x users buy with a br drive doenst mean they wont be buying a large proportion digitally, it just means right now they have a lot of discs they still want to play (and that could be movies as much as games, as per the ps3 when it first came out, not like Sony don't have a history of cross marketing consoles).

The cost of a drive is irrelevant to how much less the console will be compared to the disc version. Equally the amount one costs is irrelevant too because Blu Ray is Sony tech so drives probably cost them peanuts in reality. What will dictate is what hit they'd happily take initially knowing they'll make it back and then some over the lifespan of the console.

As for not making much difference to them if you buy digital or physical, of course it does. Not only will their margins be much higher digitally because less manufacturing cost, distribution, no cut to a middle man store etc but it's also about revenue per units. If 10 users buy digitally then 10 users own the game (Game sharing aside as most users would have no idea it's even a possibility) which is obviously a 100% return ratio as in income per copy. Compare that to physical where you could have 100 users own the same 10 copies of a game via trading over the lifecycle, which is just 10% return of direct income. It makes a huge difference.

The being locked into the ecosystem angle is more relevant going forward when games will work on future hardware and people want their library's to be usable if they've invested thousands in them. Physical doesn't have that pull to the same extent because many sell their games so don't have hundreds in their library when it comes time to decide on a new console for example.

Last edited:
I also think that the free upgrades to ps5 versions will only be available to people who buy the digi versions. There's no way they would do that for physical copies, it just wouldn't work.

It would work just the same. Once installed, the disc is only used to check the disc so it's effectively a digital download anyway. No reason they couldn't allow a PS5 download and still check with the PS4 disc exists?

I also think that the free upgrades to ps5 versions will only be available to people who buy the digi versions. There's no way they would do that for physical copies, it just wouldn't work.
Watch dogs legion requires the disc to be inserted to be able to get the upgrade of the disc version so it's both versions.

It would work just the same. Once installed, the disc is only used to check the disc so it's effectively a digital download anyway. No reason they couldn't allow a PS5 download and still check with the PS4 disc exists?

Which is exactly how it works on PS3-PS4 upgrades (e.g. COD Ghosts) and how much of Xbox BC works.

I hope this is legit!

Although I would prefer black and blue to the red. But it looks better than the white.

1594639916323.png

(still looks like an old orange mobile router I had about 10 years ago though!)

Last edited:

Wrong on that, Dirt 5 for instance will do it with the physical disk I believe, you install the game anyway so it makes no odds if it’s physical or digital, it’s just downloading and installing a patch, every PS5 has an SSD.

Wrong on that, Dirt 5 for instance will do it with the physical disk I believe, you install the game anyway so it makes no odds if it’s physical or digital, it’s just downloading and installing a patch, every PS5 has an SSD.
That might be the case with certain games but they've already said elsewhere some free upgrades were only available if you bought the psn version. We shall see.

That might be the case with certain games but they've already said elsewhere some free upgrades were only available if you bought the psn version. We shall see.

That’s pretty poor then, considering what Microsoft are doing in this area. Certainly would seem Xbox is more consumer oriented then PlayStation in this regard.

That’s pretty poor then, considering what Microsoft are doing in this area. Certainly would seem Xbox is more consumer oriented then PlayStation in this regard.
I simply don't care what ms are doing tbh. I'm not in the slightest bit interested in what they're offering. Certainly at the moment anyway.

Not sure what Microsoft (or even Sony) have got to do with it. Its the developer who has the say on whether people will get the free upgrade. I think 2K games and NBA is the only one to say you don't get the free upgrade at the minute. Thats on either console. To get the upgrade you have to buy the mega edition, but i'm not sure that is digital only though.

Last edited:
It's on disc also it's the Mamba forever edition that gets you the free upgrade otherwise you have to pay for it, 2k being the only one so far that has charged everyone else given it for free for both disk and digital.

I have no clue where this only PSN/digital only for upgrades has come from, that hasn't been said at all by any developer/publisher or Sony.

I have no clue where this only PSN/digital only for upgrades has come from, that hasn't been said at all by any developer/publisher or Sony.
I've not heard it either, just wondering if i've missed it somewhere.

The only thing that has been said in regards to upgrades is that disc-based upgrades still require the PS4 disc in the drive to play even though it will be classed as a PS5 game when the upgrade is done.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom