NEWS: Sony to release hundreds of IMAX Enhanced titles

I wonder if they will charge a premium for these discs, after all it is 'IMAX Enhanced' so got to be worth sticking another fiver on the price

It's HDR10, grain scrubbing and original aspect ratio (based on what has been released so far). Don't be fooled by marketing BS.

It would be useful if the discs sports IMAX aspect ratio which we usually see in Marvel movies (3D discs).

I think this is supposed to be as a competition to the Dolby Atmos/Vision ecosystem and as consumers we should be welcoming that otherwise there will come time when Dolby will dominate it all and we'll end up paying for it.
I therefore support other options incl. HDR10+

I think this is supposed to be as a competition to the Dolby Atmos/Vision ecosystem and as consumers we should be welcoming that otherwise there will come time when Dolby will dominate it all and we'll end up paying for it.
I therefore support other options incl. HDR10+

Of course but its adding zero value. You need IMAX-enhanced badge on the TV.

Its still HDR10, original aspect ratio (so far). Disney Marvel releases uses shifting aspect ratio (in 3D discs) and WB uses it for Nolan films.

I find the software releases to be pretty good quality so am happy to see this announcementhowever the equipment certification seems to offer nothing of benefit. In fact the Imax Enhanced for receivers just seems to break the crossover settings and is better off disabled.

Of course but its adding zero value. You need IMAX-enhanced badge on the TV.

Its still HDR10, original aspect ratio (so far). Disney Marvel releases uses shifting aspect ratio (in 3D discs) and WB uses it for Nolan films.
let's hope this IMAX-DTS alliance will develop this new product to become a proper alternative to the Dolby Vision/Atmos one. Sound-wise we're pretty much there with DTS:X (I personally like it a lot) so we now need more content using this new IMAX Enh format with proper aspect ratios etc.
Otherwise, DTS will most likely disappear over time unless it comes up with its own dynamic HDR alternative which I doubt it will.

let's hope this IMAX-DTS alliance will develop this new product to become a proper alternative to the Dolby Vision/Atmos one. Sound-wise we're pretty much there with DTS:X (I personally like it a lot) so we now need more content using this new IMAX Enh format with proper aspect ratios etc.
Otherwise, DTS will most likely disappear over time unless it comes up with its own dynamic HDR alternative which I doubt it will.

Looks like you already succumbed to this marketing drivel. :laugh:

I’m sure 70mm imax is at The Printworks, Manchester.
It’s an insane screen. I prefer it to BFI actually - feels like I’m closer to the screen but maybe it’s been my seat location when I’ve visited. Infinity War and Endgame were both incredible and I don’t even care that they were 1.9:1.

Edit: just seen that printworks is actually larger than BFI for anything 16:9 or wider - explains my experience! Leicester Square is even bigger for normal films though, but when I went there I was WAY further back that printworks from memory

Last edited:
It’s an insane screen. I prefer it to BFI actually - feels like I’m closer to the screen but maybe it’s been my seat location when I’ve visited. Infinity War and Endgame were both incredible and I don’t even care that they were 1.9:1.

Edit: just seen that printworks is actually larger than BFI for anything 16:9 or wider - explains my experience! Leicester Square is even bigger for normal films though, but when I went there I was WAY further back that printworks from memory
bigger by 30 and 50cm :laugh:

I'll pick some up. Just for the audio improvements.

I miss the old LD days when your windows used to vibrate.

I'll pick some up. Just for the audio improvements.

I miss the old LD days when your windows used to vibrate.
Despite being lossy the audio from LDs was awesome. Always thought I'd happily pay a little extra to get a cinema track on blu ray or UHD just for the unfiltered bass, the bass you feel rather than hear.

Why do yo want it in the full IMAX ratio of 4:3?

It wasn't shot that way, it was conformed at 1.9:1 for "LIEMAX" theatres, rather than 2:40:1 for regular scoped presentations. Also, it did not undergo IMAX Digital Media Remastering (DMR) process as Roger Deakins (Cinematographer) doesn't approve of the process.

Unfortunately, IMAX has become a poor shadow of it's former self:

They removed the 70mm IMAX film projector from the National Museum of Photography, Film & Television in Bradford in 2015. Previously, the screen was 4:3 aspect ratio, but the new screen installed for Digital IMAX is now 5:4 aspect ratio. It is still very big: 60 ft (18.29 metres) wide, by 48 ft (14.63 metres) high.

If you want to see proper 70mm projected IMAX film, the only venue still available in the UK is the BFI Southbank in London. The screen is 85.30 ft (26 metres ) wide by 65.62 ft (20 metres) high and has an aspect ratio of 13:10 (almost the same as 4:3). In 2012 The BFI installed Digital IMAX projectors alongside their existing 70mm IMAX film projectors. When using Digital IMAX, they use 2 x 2K projectors.

Regards,
James.

Ahhhh. I did not know that. Thanks. thought it was composed in a more 16:9 esq aspect ratio for IMAX, as that's what some of the reviews of the 4K BD seemed to intimate. My bad.

I saw Blade Runner 2049 at the Southbank BFI IMAX, managed to catch one of the few 2D screenings. It was utterly magnificent.

"using IMAX’s bespoke system to enhance the image, and adding a special variant of the DTS audio track for greater immersion"
“Just Do it”
“Think Different”
“Because you're worth it”
“It's finger lickin' good”
“I'm lovin' it”

If you believe those you may also be interested in this 100% legit offer too...

Gamer-girl-bath-water.jpg

Despite being lossy the audio from LDs was awesome. Always thought I'd happily pay a little extra to get a cinema track on blu ray or UHD just for the unfiltered bass, the bass you feel rather than hear.
Apparently this is exactly what the IMAX enhanced audio was/is supposed to offer. There was an interview in Jan 2019 Widescreen Review with their Head of Post Production who said “So what we are doing with our home format is encouraging studios to go out with the full dynamic range theatrical IMAX mix, not a near field mix. So far, with the Sony and Paramount launch titles, they have the full dynamic range IMAX mix (Venom and Alpha among the confirmed titles)”

I haven’t heard an IMAX disc so can’t comment, and there is a lot more detail in the article that led me to be quite interested in the format. It sounds like a bit of a mess from this thread though, which is a shame as it looked like the intention was to bring back the glory days of theatrical mixes on a premium home format.

He knows this because Tyler knows this... 16:9 in 4K HDR / Dolby vision look so much better on tv’s (Nolan knows his audience...) - Avatar on blu ray looks insane in the 16:9 ratio.
I'm new to the forums so please forgive me if this is dumb!
The black lines top and bottom of the screen drive me nuts--is there a list anywhere of Blu-Ray/UHD-4k discs in 16:9 (or 1.78:1) format ?
Thanks in advance
Phil

IMAX enhanced = THX 2.0 = Grain scrubbing = There is.nothing to look at here. Don't waste your time in believing Storm in a teacup :)
I'm definitely interested in the audio but only because my receiver has IMAX Enhanced. However from the early reviews of Venom, the grain scrubbing seems horrendous to me. What I want enhanced audio plus IMAX aspect ratio. I've read a review where the sound apparently had more "space". If true then this would tally with the full dynamic range audio. I can think of a few Marvel movies that desperately need this. Failing that, just the IMAX aspect ratio alone would be enough for me.

Apparently this is exactly what the IMAX enhanced audio was/is supposed to offer. There was an interview in Jan 2019 Widescreen Review with their Head of Post Production who said “So what we are doing with our home format is encouraging studios to go out with the full dynamic range theatrical IMAX mix, not a near field mix. So far, with the Sony and Paramount launch titles, they have the full dynamic range IMAX mix (Venom and Alpha among the confirmed titles)”

I haven’t heard an IMAX disc so can’t comment, and there is a lot more detail in the article that led me to be quite interested in the format. It sounds like a bit of a mess from this thread though, which is a shame as it looked like the intention was to bring back the glory days of theatrical mixes on a premium home format.

If that were the case, then I would be more positive, but it doesn’t need to be ‘IMAX Enhanced’ in any way whatsoever to deliver the theatrical sound mix. There’s no reason why all discs couldn’t feature both a full dynamic theatrical mix and a home (near field mix) - unless there was a storage space issue.

Personally, I don’t know why the studios / distributors think it’s necessary to tinker with the theatrical mix for the home market... They didn’t used to, and it didn’t used to be viewed as a ‘problem’. As long as the mix folds down to regular 2 channel stereo (which is what the vast majority of people listen to) then there should be no problem.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
If that were the case, then I would be more positive, but it doesn’t need to be ‘IMAX Enhanced’ in any way whatsoever to deliver the theatrical sound mix. There’s no reason why all discs couldn’t feature both a full dynamic theatrical mix and a home (near field mix) - unless there was a storage space issue.

Personally, I don’t know why the studios / distributors think it’s necessary to tinker with the theatrical mix for the home market... They didn’t used to, and it didn’t used to be viewed as a ‘problem’. As long as the mix folds down to regular 2 channel stereo (which is what the vast majority of people listen to) then there should be no problem.

Regards,
James.
But that's hopefully the point. All discs are not full dynamic theatrical mixes so if IMAX enhanced enables that then that is a good thing, even if it is currently limited.

The black lines top and bottom of the screen drive me nuts--is there a list anywhere of Blu-Ray/UHD-4k discs in 16:9 (or 1.78:1) format ?
Thanks in advance
Phil

This is a list of films that I own in this format. Obviously there are more out there but my collection is pretty large.

Attachments

• E1265B1D-F622-45E4-AADE-3F4294D6CAAD.png
    E1265B1D-F622-45E4-AADE-3F4294D6CAAD.png
    548.1 KB · Views: 94
  • F8B1671B-FFF5-40D6-AFDC-35F2A790CAD1.png
    F8B1671B-FFF5-40D6-AFDC-35F2A790CAD1.png
    544.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 2911F097-785F-4F63-9AEF-14BC394036CE.png
    2911F097-785F-4F63-9AEF-14BC394036CE.png
    556.5 KB · Views: 75
  • EF684817-6D82-4013-A56D-6A16CF56414E.png
    EF684817-6D82-4013-A56D-6A16CF56414E.png
    562.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 9A16781F-CAE5-4E41-9119-045C6458EAF4.png
    9A16781F-CAE5-4E41-9119-045C6458EAF4.png
    545.8 KB · Views: 77
  • AB6A27B5-BFB9-49A9-87C4-AD44D560A56C.png
    AB6A27B5-BFB9-49A9-87C4-AD44D560A56C.png
    559.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 84B78E06-C4BA-4BFA-9978-4B855BF5D126.png
    84B78E06-C4BA-4BFA-9978-4B855BF5D126.png
    515 KB · Views: 64
  • 45FC8FA8-01EC-4709-B5AB-EC507DEE6DEF.png
    45FC8FA8-01EC-4709-B5AB-EC507DEE6DEF.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 368B166B-CF41-41D6-8376-264DC6F9E8FA.png
    368B166B-CF41-41D6-8376-264DC6F9E8FA.png
    582 KB · Views: 61
  • 9BA66EB5-F54D-457E-B903-23029467EF1A.png
    9BA66EB5-F54D-457E-B903-23029467EF1A.png
    554.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 10279480-5680-4206-91A2-E7E1D4443956.png
    10279480-5680-4206-91A2-E7E1D4443956.png
    592.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 9D6C3EA8-F7ED-4116-B132-DD0155D5850F.png
    9D6C3EA8-F7ED-4116-B132-DD0155D5850F.png
    510.2 KB · Views: 66
Thanks in advance
Phil

In recent years the number of films made in 1.85:1 (nearly the same as 16:9) has declined significantly. It used to be that only epic or cinematic action movies would be shot in 2.40:1 ‘scoped format, and more pedestrian dramas and comedies would almost always be shot ‘flat’ and projected at 1.85:1, but not anymore.

Even content specifically made for television (especially NetFlix) is starting to standardise 2:40.1 or 2:1 (Doctor Who on the BBC for example).

I’m not sure why producers think it’s a good idea to use widescreen formats beyond 16:9 when content is design for television presentation.

If a movie was shot ‘scoped with an anamorphic lens, then that’s the way I want to see it, but if it was shot open frame, then *usually* that’s the way I want to see it. James Cameron adopted the Super 35 film technology in the 80s and 90s and movies such as ‘True Lies’ were shot open frame (1.85:1), but released theatrically in 2.40:1. I’d rather see this in the theatrical ratio.
Regards,
James.

Other people with the actual discs may be able to confirm this, but just so people know, IMAX Enhanced films are not in 1.9:1 or even 16:9 (for the whole film). Certain films will contain scenes/sequences in "expanded aspect ratio" (16:9) where the filmmakers deem it to have the most impact and give a more "IMAX" feeling compared to the 2.35 etc ratio.

I streamed Spider-man: Homecoming the other night in IMAX Enhanced mode (I have a Sony AG9 that supports this), and was disappointed to find that this film does not contain any expanded aspect ration content. Spider-man: Far From Home is confirmed to have about 45mins of expanded aspect ration content however, but I don't think any other IMAX Enhanced film released yet does, except for the IMAX documentary releases (would love to find out if this is true or not though).

Let's hope that many more releases in the future have more expanded content.

PK

Bad Boys for Life was the first UHD disc I've watched that has the IMAX enhanced sticker. In terms of picture and sound it's one of the most underwhelming discs I own. The DTS:X soundtrack was a massive disappointment, I thought the picture was okay but nothing that impressed. By contrast I watched War for the Planet of the Apes last night in UHD, wow that is an impressive disc. Both the Atmos soundtrack and the picture are superb. Miles ahead of Bad Boys for Life.
I don't own any kit that is IMAX enhanced. I was hoping that IMAX enhanced would be a bit like THX certified discs where you always got very good picture and sound regardless of whether your kit was THX certified or not.

I have an IMAX enhanced recieved but no discs yet - am a tad disappointed that the discs are not in IMAX aspect ratio.... like most people the experience of having the entire screen fill up (like the bank heist scene at the beginning of the Dark Knight) it really helps with the viewer experience.

I have a couple of IMAX Blu Rays that utilise the IMAX ratio and upscaled on my LG OLED they look incredible and are pretty close to a genuine 4k image...

I recall the ‘superbit’ DVD’s when I was a kid that used all the space on the disc and came with a DTS track.... I think I had Anaconda (classic LoL) I think this could go the same way.... nice idea but noreal point!!! With HDR, HDR+, HLG & DV already, I am not too sure there is enough space for yet another format UNLESS they utilise both soundtrack & image!

Something that is food for thought.... imagine 4K 3D IMAX material.... that I would defo splash out on LoL!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom