NEWS: Sony to release hundreds of IMAX Enhanced titles

I have an IMAX enhanced recieved but no discs yet - am a tad disappointed that the discs are not in IMAX aspect ratio.... like most people the experience of having the entire screen fill up (like the bank heist scene at the beginning of the Dark Knight) it really helps with the viewer experience.

I have a couple of IMAX Blu Rays that utilise the IMAX ratio and upscaled on my LG OLED they look incredible and are pretty close to a genuine 4k image...

I recall the ‘superbit’ DVD’s when I was a kid that used all the space on the disc and came with a DTS track.... I think I had Anaconda (classic LoL) I think this could go the same way.... nice idea but noreal point!!! With HDR, HDR+, HLG & DV already, I am not too sure there is enough space for yet another format UNLESS they utilise both soundtrack & image!

Something that is food for thought.... imagine 4K 3D IMAX material.... that I would defo splash out on LoL!!!!

The Dark Night used 70 mm, 15 perf IMAX film for the IMAX sequences. They were shot in 4:3 (Correction: 1.43:1) Aspect Ratio. They are opened up to 16:9 on the disc releases. The remainder of the movie was shot in 2.40:1 on film using an anamorphic lens.

I’m not aware of any movie actually been shot in the IMAX Digital ratio of 1.90:1. They are composited to that ratio when shown in a digital IMAX cinemas (the majority of which are only 2K). The same movies are shown in 2.40:1 in regular cinemas.

‘IMAX Enhanced’ is a marketing exercise with no real technical merit.

SuperBit DVD on the other hand, jettisoned the extras, so all available space available on the disc could be used to reduce video compression artefacts and to include a higher bit rate DTS soundtrack. They are superior to the regular releases. Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 looked very good at the time.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
The Dark Night used 70 mm, 15 perf IMAX film for the IMAX sequences. They were shot in 4:3 Aspect Ratio. They are opened up to 16:9 on the disc releases. The remainder of the movie was shot in 2.40:1 on film using an anamorphic lens.

You mean 1.43:1?
I’m not aware of any movie actually been shot in the IMAX Digital ratio of 1.90:1. They are composited to that ratio when shown in a digital IMAX cinemas (the majority of which are only 2K). The same movies are shown in 2.40:1 in regular cinemas.
Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame were both fully shot in IMAX 1.90:1 using Arri Alexa 65 IMAX cameras

The Dark Night used 70 mm, 15 perf IMAX film for the IMAX sequences. They were shot in 4:3 Aspect Ratio. They are opened up to 16:9 on the disc releases. The remainder of the movie was shot in 2.40:1 on film using an anamorphic lens.

SuperBit DVD on the other hand, jettisoned the extras, so all available space available on the disc could be used to reduce video compression artefacts and to include a higher bit rate DTS soundtrack. They are superior to the regular releases. Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 looked very good at the time.

Regards,
James.

Regards,
James.

I understand the ratio aspect that IMAX is filmed at but that is kinda irrelevant - for home releases they are opened up for the 16:9 ‘home’ widescreen format. This is the format that most if not all home viewers refer to.

I have to say that I am always sceptical of those that complain about not seeing the ‘directors vision’ re aspect ratio (I can hear the boos and hisses now LoL!) and as long as the director gives the go ahead for a ratio then why complain? James Cameron and Avatar come to mind especially, different aspect ratios for different formats (2D, 3D, 2D IMAX & 3D IMAX) and I am pretty sure the only reason Nolan did not film The Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises exclusively on 70mm was because of the size limitation of the IMAX cameras. Filming at 1.43 and being able to adjust the framing in PP is just another tool for film makers and should not be taken as gospel and the directors vision!!!
RE Superbit DVD’s I will take your word on it - I honestly can’t remember - but even with Superbit technology I am sure you would have needed higher spec kit to notice the differences and the layman probably could not tell the difference.... another thing that is a curse of techheads - we notice things others don’t!!!

You mean 1.43:1?

Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame were both fully shot in IMAX 1.90:1 using Arri Alexa 65 IMAX cameras

Yes, 1.43:1 - thanks for the correction, I've updated my original post.

Also thanks for the information about 'Infinity War' and 'Endgame' - I didn't know these had been shot natively in 1.90:1. How ironic then, that the both of the UHD discs are formatted as 2.39:1!

Some very good information about Aspect Ratio and the MCU:

Regards,
James.

Yes, 1.43:1 - thanks for the correction, I've updated my original post.

Also thanks for the information about 'Infinity War' and 'Endgame' - I didn't know these had been shot natively in 1.90:1. How ironic then, that the both of the UHD discs are formatted as 2.39:1!

Some very good information about Aspect Ratio and the MCU:

Regards,
James.

I saw a clip not so long ago from the Russo brothers. It’s sounded like they wanted an IMAX release but it was something to do with IMAX themselves not allowing it. They did hint that they thought it would be released at some point in the future.

I guess it would be a way of increasing sales, quite a few people would double dip for that!!

Apparently this is exactly what the IMAX enhanced audio was/is supposed to offer. There was an interview in Jan 2019 Widescreen Review with their Head of Post Production who said “So what we are doing with our home format is encouraging studios to go out with the full dynamic range theatrical IMAX mix, not a near field mix. So far, with the Sony and Paramount launch titles, they have the full dynamic range IMAX mix (Venom and Alpha among the confirmed titles)”

I haven’t heard an IMAX disc so can’t comment, and there is a lot more detail in the article that led me to be quite interested in the format. It sounds like a bit of a mess from this thread though, which is a shame as it looked like the intention was to bring back the glory days of theatrical mixes on a premium home format.
Wait a second...

Sooo.... I think Venom was launched on home media before IMAX Enhanced got announced, this means they will re-issue it with IMAX Enhanced???

Also, Alpha (if you're referring to the 2018 movie with the dogs and mammoths), was not even launched in 4K UHD disk, so how could be standard Blu-Ray IMAX Enhanced???

If you do have some actual references where we can check the details of those, would be helpful and appreciated!

Wait a second...

Sooo.... I think Venom was launched on home media before IMAX Enhanced got announced, this means they will re-issue it with IMAX Enhanced???

Also, Alpha (if you're referring to the 2018 movie with the dogs and mammoths), was not even launched in 4K UHD disk, so how could be standard Blu-Ray IMAX Enhanced???

If you do have some actual references where we can check the details of those, would be helpful and appreciated!

And of course we don't need IMAX Enhanced discs for the full theatrical dynamic range mix to be included. There's nothing stopping any studio including the theatrical mix on any disc today. It's just more marketing fluff from IMAX Enhanced PR people...

Regards,
James.

Wait a second...

The magazine I quoted is US-based so the references only applied to the US market at the time. You can find back issues online if you want to read the full interview.

And of course we don't need IMAX Enhanced discs for the full theatrical dynamic range mix to be included. There's nothing stopping any studio including the theatrical mix on any disc today. It's just more marketing fluff from IMAX Enhanced PR people...

Regards,
James.
Totally agree, but unfortunately the evidence is that home nearfield mixes are commonly removing LFE content on a regular basis. Even if the IMAX enhanced badge was a marketing gimmick that essentially just meant ‘theatrical mix’ then I would think it was a useful badge for home cinema enthusiasts to know they are getting a mix that wasn’t neutered.

The magazine I quoted is US-based so the references only applied to the US market at the time. You can find back issues online if you want to read the full interview.
So you can't provide a clear and useful response?
I for one, to be honest, wouldn't even have an idea where to start a search.
Yet, there's no need for anything if the information was/is not actually supported by officials, or, at least by someone that had purchased (somehow) both versions of Venom, pre IMAX Enhanced and with; cause for sure Alpha is out of the question since it doesn't even have an 4K UHD edition (YET, hopefully)!

Totally agree, but unfortunately the evidence is that home nearfield mixes are commonly removing LFE content on a regular basis. Even if the IMAX enhanced badge was a marketing gimmick that essentially just meant ‘theatrical mix’ then I would think it was a useful badge for home cinema enthusiasts to know they are getting a mix that wasn’t neutered.
When I first read this thread I was hopeful that IMAX Enhanced would provide unfiltered bass and would be a badge of quality in the same way that THX certified discs were. Unfortunately my first experience of an IMAX Enhanced disc was Bad Boys for Life which has filtered bass, the blu ray has better LFE than the UHD. Unless an IMAX enhanced receiver does something with the sound that a non IMAX enhanced receiver doesn't?

Yet, there's no need for anything if the information was/is not actually supported by officials, or, at least by someone that had purchased (somehow) both versions of Venom, pre IMAX Enhanced and with; cause for sure Alpha is out of the question since it doesn't even have an 4K UHD edition (YET, hopefully)!
Bing it, or Google it if you prefer. It was very easy to find the Widescreen Review website and reference to the article mentioned by @CarlB but you do need a subscription to read the article.

I’ve given you a clear response where you can find the source material;, but i can’t reproduce it for copyright reasons on the site.

cause for sure Alpha is out of the question since it doesn't even have an 4K UHD edition (YET, hopefully)!
No disc release yet, but there was a clip of it on the IMAX Enhanced demo disc
Unfortunately my first experience of an IMAX Enhanced disc was Bad Boys for Life which has filtered bass, the blu ray has better LFE than the UHD.
Yup, super weird

Felixlo,

CarlB correctly stated the Widescreen Review article and provided references to the information he alluded to. For clarity, I subscribe to Widescreen Review electronically - I've re-read the two articles on IMAX Enhanced from January 2019. The interviewer was Gary Reber, and interviewees were Bill Neighors (Xperi), John McDaniel (Xperi) and Bruce Markoe of IMAX Corporation (Xperi is the parent company of DTS).

Small quotations (snippets) from articles are allowed under copyright rules providing changes are not made, and credit is clearly given.

Below are two quotes by John McDaniel, DTS President, Business Development Ecosystems:

... We’re taking components of that video post-production process, and the audio mix from the theatres, and we’re converting both of those to make them the best possible presentation of that film in the home environment.

... A DTS:X bitstream will also decode and render on non-IMAX Enhanced devices. In the Immersive Sound case, it’s going to render that 11.1 plus the objects on those DTS:X, non-IMAX AVRs. But if the AVR sees the IMAX flag and is an IMAX Enhanced AVR, then it will complete the conversion process, and you'll get the approved conversion that was defined by the Hollywood creatives in collaboration with IMAX and DTS. You’ll get the full theatrical mix in your home. In the absence of the IMAX Enhanced AVR, you’ll get the partial conversion, but it is still the best possible audio presentation for that particular film on that device.
I can't decipher what this actually means, technically.

Bruce Markoe, IMAX Senior Vice President, Head of Post Production, DMR and Operations said:

... As you probably know, virtually all movies that come out in home formats go through a nearfield mixing process. And that can be a very inconsistent process, as I’m sure you’re aware, because it’s done by different mixers, oftentimes that did not mix the original. Sometimes it’s the original mixers but other times it’s not. ... For people who have a good sound system, a lot of people don’t like that; they’d rather have the full dynamic range.

... So what we’re doing in our home format is we are encouraging the studios to go out with the full dynamic range theatrical IMAX mix, not a nearfield mix. So far, with the Sony and Paramount launch titles that we’re doing, they have the full dynamic range IMAX mix [Venom and Alpha amongst 15 confirmed titles from Sony Pictures, and Paramount Pictures]. And while if a studio or a filmmaker insists on doing a nearfield that nearfield would be derived from the IMAX theatrical mix.

The two full length interviews are interesting - but they guys from IMAX / DTS are quite vague about the 'audio conversion process', what discs will and will not use IMAX DMR processing, or what releases will use the 1.90:1 aspect ratio etc. Note the use of the word encouraging and not mandating with regard to the sound mixes.

Widescreen Review is a great publication - I would urge AVForums' members to subscribe, as WS are struggling with a dwindling readership - You can subscribe via the WS website and download each month's publications as a PDF which is identical to the printed magazine. Price for the Webzine version is only $15 per year:

www.widescreenreview.com

It's unashamedly America / Canadian in content, but nevertheless very interesting.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
Thanks for all that chipped in, quite interesting stuff, although as @THX1138UK fairly concluded, there's no clear explanations of what the format will CERTAINLY add for home users, yet I didn't actually get a definitive answer, so maybe I'll ask differently, like "the IMAX Enhanced 4K UHD disks have some specific marks on them that say that?" or, maybe even more specific for me, "are any of my editions of Venom, an IMAX Enhanced edition?"

Last edited:
Thanks for all that chipped in, quite interestibg stuff, although as @THX1138UK fairly concluded, there's no clear explanations of what the format will CERTAINLY add for home users, yet I didn't actually get a definitive answer, so maybe I'll ask differently, like "the IMAX Enhanced 4K UHD disks have some specific marks on them that say that?" or, maybe even more specific for me, "are any of my editions of Venom, an IMAX Enhanced edition?"
There are only a few IMAX Enhanced UHD discs released so far. If you search for “imax enhanced” on Blu-ray.com it will show them.

The only indication is a small IMAX logo on the back cover. That’s it. Hopefully future releases will have more indication.

Venom is IMAX Enhanced but only the streaming version. The disc version hasn’t been released yet. This is the same for latest Spider-man films. And you need an IMAX Enhanced certified TV to access the stream versions (at least for Rakuten which is the only service in Europe that carries them)

And apparently the only film to use Expanded Ratio scenes so far is Spider-man: Far From Home. Others are just “optimised picture quality” and IMAX audio (which is essentially a DSP mode that mixes the sound across speakers differently and changes a few settings, but no one knows for sure yet).

It is very niche at the moment but it’s good that Sony are planning to expand it.

PK

This sounds very similar to the Super Bit DVDs back in the day, or that's what it reminds me of.

Thanks for all that chipped in, quite interestibg stuff, although as @THX1138UK fairly concluded, there's no clear explanations of what the format will CERTAINLY add for home users, yet I didn't actually get a definitive answer, so maybe I'll ask differently, like "the IMAX Enhanced 4K UHD disks have some specific marks on them that say that?" or, maybe even more specific for me, "are any of my editions of Venom, an IMAX Enhanced edition?"
[/QUOTE
I think those two are just releases of the the existing one,but in steel book :)

I think those two are just releases of the the existing one,but in steel book :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom