NEWS: Sony to release hundreds of IMAX Enhanced titles

Have to say, I’ve seen Jumanji 2, Bad Boys for Life and A Good Day In The Neighbourhood and they’ve all been out of this world A/V. So
bring it on.

Every review i have read on this format is not worth it,Just adds more bass.
No such thing as an imax TV neither all BS just about increasing the bass on all channels which can be done anyhow if mixed that way.

Excellent. Just after I bought the Spider-Man’s lol
Great news though

Release Blade Runner 2049 in the full IMAX ratio, then i'm onboard.

Yeah, I really can’t wait for Charlie’s Angels 2019 in IMAX Enhanced! :rotfl::laugh: :p

Will these home releases adapt the imax aspect ratio to 16:9? Or will we still served with scope ar’s?

Soo many difrent formats are coming...and leaving shortly after.

I take it that they mean DTS-X will be the sound format? Are they still going to include the Dolby Atmos track that is already available on some of those 4K films?

Every review i have read on this format is not worth it,Just adds more bass.
No such thing as an imax TV neither all BS just about increasing the bass on all channels which can be done anyhow if mixed that way.
Sony don't even have any IMAX receivers either

Aye the IMAX enhanced thing is a marketing gimmick.

Any new 4K discs from the masters of 4K is good news though.:clap:

Release Blade Runner 2049 in the full IMAX ratio, then i'm onboard.

Why do yo want it in the full IMAX ratio of 4:3?

It wasn't shot that way, it was conformed at 1.9:1 for "LIEMAX" theatres, rather than 2:40:1 for regular scoped presentations. Also, it did not undergo IMAX Digital Media Remastering (DMR) process as Roger Deakins (Cinematographer) doesn't approve of the process.

Unfortunately, IMAX has become a poor shadow of it's former self:

They removed the 70mm IMAX film projector from the National Museum of Photography, Film & Television in Bradford in 2015. Previously, the screen was 4:3 aspect ratio, but the new screen installed for Digital IMAX is now 5:4 aspect ratio. It is still very big: 60 ft (18.29 metres) wide, by 48 ft (14.63 metres) high.

If you want to see proper 70mm projected IMAX film, the only venue still available in the UK is the BFI Southbank in London. The screen is 85.30 ft (26 metres ) wide by 65.62 ft (20 metres) high and has an aspect ratio of 13:10 (almost the same as 4:3). In 2012 The BFI installed Digital IMAX projectors alongside their existing 70mm IMAX film projectors. When using Digital IMAX, they use 2 x 2K projectors.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
Will these home releases adapt the imax aspect ratio to 16:9? Or will we still served with scope ar’s?

IMAX has never had an aspect ratio of 16:9. Proper 70mm (film) IMAX is 4:3, and LIEMAX is 1.9:1.

Regards
James.

I don't want it. Not one bit. We already have way too much fragmentation.

Just from reading this thread, it's clear that there is some much confusion about what this is... Also the 'Enhanced IMAX sound' available in some Denon & Marantz AVRs is just a DSP mode, where it applies more bass massaging when it reads the IMAX flag (no thanks!).

They originally said all IMAX Enhanced Blu-ray titles would use HDR 10+, but looks like this has been dropped.

In 2016, the home division of DTS was acquired by Tessera Technologies, who promptly renamed themselves as Xperi. Xperi is an IP licensing company, not an audio company. The cinema division of DTS had already been sold in 2008 to company called Beaufort, who became Datasat Digital, but now appears to be totally defuncted from a cinema perspective. Xperi also acquired TiVo's intellectual property too.

Before it was acquired by Xperi, DTS (the home focused company, not the Datasat cinema focussed company) announced plans in 2015 to try to get back into the theatrical cinema market with DTS-X in Asia - But I can't find any evidence that this ever happened.

Sadly, it's all very messy. It's marketing above and beyond anything else.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
IMAX has never had an aspect ratio of 16:9. Proper 70mm (film) IMAX is 4:3, and LIEMAX is 1.9:1.

Regards
James.

Hi James, I know this and that Is why i stated will they adapt the imax ratios to 16:9. I’m no pixel peeper, but there is something wonderful about having the whole panel lit up. It would be nice to have the option.

I don't want it. Not one bit. We already have way too much fragmentation.

Just from reading this thread, it's clear that there is some much confusion about what this is... Also the 'Enhanced IMAX sound' available in some Denon & Marantz AVRs is just a DSP mode, where it applies more bass massaging when it reads the IMAX flag (no thanks!).

They originally said all IMAX Enhanced Blu-ray titles would use HDR 10+, but looks like this has been dropped.

In 2016, the home division of DTS was acquired by Tessera Technologies, who promptly renamed themselves as Xperi. Xperi is an IP licensing company, not an audio company. The cinema division of DTS had already been sold in 2008 to company called Beaufort, who became Datasat Digital, but now appears to be totally defuncted from a cinema perspective. Xperi also acquired TiVo's intellectual property too.

Before it was acquired by Xperi, DTS (the home focused company, not the Datasat cinema focussed company) announced plans in 2015 to try to get back into the theatrical cinema market with DTS-X in Asia - But I can't find any evidence that this ever happened.

Sadly, it's all very messy. It's marketing above and beyond anything else.

Regards,
James.

Datasat (the cinema tech arm) were acquired by Ati in 2016 (May have been 2017). The irony being they purchased DTS to gain a footing in the commercial arena.

I owned the Datasat Rs20i processor (based on the commercial Ap20) fantastic machine.

If you want to see proper 70mm projected IMAX film, the only venue still available in the UK is the BFI Southbank in London. The screen is 85.30 ft (26 metres ) wide by 65.62 ft (20 metres) high and has an aspect ratio of 13:10 (almost the same as 4:3).
The Science Museum in South Kensington still does 70mm projected IMAX. The screen is smaller than at the BFI, but then you’re also closer to the screen at the Science Museum.

Why do yo want it in the full IMAX ratio of 4:3?

It wasn't shot that way, it was conformed at 1.9:1 for "LIEMAX" theatres, rather than 2:40:1 for regular scoped presentations. Also, it did not undergo IMAX Digital Media Remastering (DMR) process as Roger Deakins (Cinematographer) doesn't approve of the process.

Unfortunately, IMAX has become a poor shadow of it's former self:

They removed the 70mm IMAX film projector from the National Museum of Photography, Film & Television in Bradford in 2015. Previously, the screen was 4:3 aspect ratio, but the new screen installed for Digital IMAX is now 5:4 aspect ratio. It is still very big: 60 ft (18.29 metres) wide, by 48 ft (14.63 metres) high.

If you want to see proper 70mm projected IMAX film, the only venue still available in the UK is the BFI Southbank in London. The screen is 85.30 ft (26 metres ) wide by 65.62 ft (20 metres) high and has an aspect ratio of 13:10 (almost the same as 4:3). In 2012 The BFI installed Digital IMAX projectors alongside their existing 70mm IMAX film projectors. When using Digital IMAX, they use 2 x 2K projectors.

Regards,
James.
I’m sure 70mm imax is at The Printworks, Manchester.

Hi James, I know this and that Is why i stated will they adapt the imax ratios to 16:9. I’m no pixel peeper, but there is something wonderful about having the whole panel lit up. It would be nice to have the option.
He knows this because Tyler knows this... 16:9 in 4K HDR / Dolby vision look so much better on tv’s (Nolan knows his audience...) - Avatar on blu ray looks insane in the 16:9 ratio.

I’m sure 70mm imax is at The Printworks, Manchester.
It was, I watched Dunkirk there. Pretty sure they've replaced with a laser projector now, not long after Vue took it over from Odeon.

It was, I watched Dunkirk there. Pretty sure they've replaced with a laser projector now, not long after Vue took it over from Odeon.
I can’t see any info as to whether they kept the 70mm projector alongside the laser or got rid of it.
I’ll guess we’ll find out with Tenet, although the Printworks will be capable of projecting Tenet in 1.43:1 with their laser projector anyway.

IMAX enhanced = THX 2.0 = Grain scrubbing = There is.nothing to look at here. Don't waste your time in believing Storm in a teacup :)

All I know is these ‘Imax enhanced’ disks have been some of the best looking and sounding UHD I’ve seen. That’s good enough for me.

Well, my screen is exactly 1.9:1 and my receiver and projector are all ‘IMAX Enhanced’ certified or whatever the thing is so bring it on. Whatever it actually is.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom