NEWS: Tenet release pushed back again

The obvious thing to do is to put it back until the new year but it appears that Nolan wants his film released as close to its original date as possible, leading to the feeling that the studio is kicking the release date can down the road until enough big hitter countries agree to show it.

Makes no sense to show it under the current conditions. And with the budget it had, it also makes no sense for a home release. I can see summer 2021 being a realistic time frame before anything big is released. If cinemas are still operating.

It's a good point Chris, if studios don't release films to bring in audiences, then the cinemas can't operate in a way that makes financial sense putting them at risk of closing and then there'll be less cinemas to watch the films in giving less return at the box office. Tricky times.

Phew, I was worried that this might vie with Black Water: Abyss(mal) for the Number One "Only Movie you can go and see" Slot!
;)

Wouldn't it be funny if this film was the biggest pile of poo ever? Might flop harder than a crusty cow pat after all this build up and shifting dates?

I really like Nolan films and hope that isn't the case, but it would amuse me so after all this!

Wouldn't it be funny if this film was the biggest pile of poo ever? Might flop harder than a crusty cow pat after all this build up and shifting dates?

I really like Nolan films and hope that isn't the case, but it would amuse me so after all this!
I saw prestige for the first time and thought it was pretty poor and predictable. But then Dark Knight Rises is my favourite of the trilogy

It seems the studio has some confidence in it, and Nolan’s track record is as good as any director, better than most, but audiences are fickle. I am sure they are worried that if they release outside the US first, and the audience isn’t there, then it may be DOA in the US, and they need that big opening weekend.

This is a movie with a $200 million-plus budget, studios typically want to see a movie gross double to be considered successful, so let’s say $500 million to be sure. That means it has to do the same business as some of the biggest movies ever. This has to be an Avengers, Titanic, Star Wars kind of hit. Nolan has done this with his previous movies, but Dark Knight had the familiar Batman and Joker characters, and Inception had DiCaprio at his box office peak.

Just being a “good movie”, even one that critics love doesn’t guarantee anything - Blade Runner 2049 was a critical hit, but it barely brought in half it’s budget. I’m pretty confident Tenet will be good, but that doesn’t mean it will be a hit, and with the pandemic, anything can happen. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this held back even a full year.

They're almost certainly banking on a billion for this. I don't think they'll release it until they're sure they'll get that. As sure as they can be anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom