NEWS: Universal and AMC agree earlier VOD debut in US

Works for me. Even pre-COVID my ability to get to the movies for things I wanted to watch was limited because of work/family to maybe 3 times a year (not including kids movies at the weekend). However, the fact that the deal doesn't include blockbusters is a bit of a kicker as they are what I would go to see, so maybe a good move in my preferred direction in principle, if not in practice.

Makes sense as a business model - they can be flexible to move films that aren’t doing anything in the cinema to make available for paid streaming. It would lovely to get blockbusters 17 days after theatrical release but I can see why they wouldn‘t want to do that!

Makes sense as a business model - they can be flexible to move films that aren’t doing anything in the cinema to make available for paid streaming. It would lovely to get blockbusters 17 days after theatrical release but I can see why they wouldn‘t want to do that!

Indeed. So it will basically be none blockbuster movies that will get the 3 week window release and if as reported the AMC cinema chain will be getting a cut of the Premium VOD rights as well, that makes sense for both parties, because with having empty cinemas, 10% of VOD rights is far better than 10% of nothing.

It makes sense for studios to make deals with theatre chains over varied window releases sticking with 90 days for every film is out of date low budget and kids animation 21 days and big budget and general blockbusters 90

It makes sense for studios to make deals with theatre chains over varied window releases sticking with 90 days for every film is out of date low budget and kids animation 21 days and big budget and general blockbusters 90
Why does this make sense? Shouldn't people be able to watch the film at home from day one? Is it fair on people who dont want to go to an over priced cinema or in fact elderly or disabled people who cant? If cinemas really offer value then releasing movies in cinema, DVD and Streaming all at the same time will no impact their business. the fact is right now if you want to watch the latest movies we are forced to go to cinema and to me that doesn't sit right

According to from what I’ve watched on YouTube - John Campea.
This new business model is doomed to fail as it will put cinema chains in position that they lose even more revenue if films are released on VOD after 17days instead of the agreed 3 month window.

The main reason AMC have agreed to this, is that they are tittering on the verge of bankruptcy hence this deal to keep them going, but most experts agree it’s not a sustainable model medium to long term.

I understand the post before mine that not everyone can go to the cinema, but without Cinemas getting back to anywhere near before lockdown numbers with footfall.
The movie industry will never recover.
Cinema releases are the way the industry makes most of its money. Especially the big blockbusters.!
The Cinemas need the movie studios and Movie Studios need the Cinema chains.
Unfortunately COVID-19 has changed the landscape forever which we will have lasting effects on the Movie Industry

Why does this make sense? Shouldn't people be able to watch the film at home from day one? Is it fair on people who dont want to go to an over priced cinema or in fact elderly or disabled people who cant? If cinemas really offer value then releasing movies in cinema, DVD and Streaming all at the same time will no impact their business. the fact is right now if you want to watch the latest movies we are forced to go to cinema and to me that doesn't sit right

I understand your point but releasing films on VOD as same as cinema releases or by at least 17days or so, will not sustain the studios and everyone who works in the industry.

I agree that a visit to the Cinema can be expensive.
But if this new deal becomes the norm, then we can forget the big mega blockbusters like Avengers/Star Wars etc..! As they need a 3month Cinema release sometimes less to make a profit of the cost of producing and marketing the film.

Some movie studios can spend upto £50 million if not more on marketing before a film is ven released.
VOD will not recoup there costs.

As Phil1975 says, without a cinema release the studio would make significantly less money.
8CC7EE07-C41E-4CC4-B7ED-27353D16AF81.jpeg

Would they make up the $1.238bn in DVD/BD sales? DVD/BD sales are pretty low in comparison.
Also, how many people would just download a free bit-perfect rip of the DVD/BD on day one instead? Can’t do that with a cinema release.

More to the point. How can trash like that do a billion + dollars :eek::rolleyes::D

are the 17 day window titles pre determined or will it be a case of, if it bombs then it gets dumped to VOD?

Let's face it most big films/blockbusters make most of the money in the first two weeks anyway, do they really make that much 2 or 3 months into the release window. I doubt it unless they are a slow burner that sell tickets by word of mouth (not many of those these days!) I think 17 days for smaller films and non-blockbusters is about right as the studio does not rely on these titles for box office revenue anyway.Neither do the cinemas which run most screenings of these films empty (except weekends)

The cinema for the most part is a sausage factory get the product in show it and do the same the following week. Some smaller films I've wanted to see in the past are usually only screened for a week or sometimes days. I'm reliably informed by Odeon that too many films are being released for small films to get longer releases, that says it all. So 17 days is correct judging by Odeons (AMC) policy.

I'm sorry but that is just plain wrong. If they released movies on all formats, especially VOD on release date within an hour a perfect copy is available on the internet for everyone who is able to watch/download for free. This would greatly impact their business.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom