NEWS: Virgin Media unleashes Gig1 home broadband in Manchester

That we will have to see, but for sure they have put the entire backbone in in fibre, not a mm of coax in sight.

Their backbone is fibre anyway, coax is only for the final connections to properties. You wouldn't see anything coax until they either installed it if they were going that route to your house.

Wonder what they will do with the tv option. Genuinely curious as I can fibre from virgin business from the same cab which is 13m from my house but at nearly 500 a month for symmetrical 1Gb after the broadband voucher ...

Their backbone is fibre anyway, coax is only for the final connections to properties. You wouldn't see anything coax until they either installed it if they were going that route to your house.

Wonder what they will do with the tv option. Genuinely curious as I can fibre from virgin business from the same cab which is 13m from my house but at nearly 500 a month for symmetrical 1Gb after the broadband voucher ...

I fully understand what the backbone is and understand what connection types are available. However having talked to the guys installing the stuff, and a manger of from the contracting firm team carrying out inspection and testing, FTTP has been confirmed. Also the entire town, which is quite big and sprawling now, is being cabled for the future with VM's state of the art GB technology and Docsis 3.1 was mentioned.

What the cost to an end user is going to be I have no idea, but I imagine there will be varying levels of service to both business and household users. VM have said the service will be going live in Q1/20. So it will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Why are they mentioning docsis if it is fttp?. I already have 3.1. Virgin are for mixing their terminology up, but be installs are supposed to be fttp. Where do you live?

surprised there isn't more information out on the net about it.

I have no idea, it just came up during the conversation. If you read what I said, I was talking with the contractor not VM, who was probably more forthcoming with info than VM would be.

Life is full of surprises.

I did read what you put, if you work with virgin you will see they use multiple contractors including their own teams when putting installationI. They don't cross overt work.

Like I say which area are you in? Surprised VM don't have details of the new modem and boxes they will need.

They don't cross overt work.
?

Like I say which area are you in?
Why, do you want to come down and inspect?

Surprised VM don't have details of the new modem and boxes they will need.
But they do, they just won't disclose the manufacture at this time. From what I understand the modems are missing some fairly fundamental and very basic interfaces. So maybe they are putting those things right before releasing anything further.

Damn autocorrect on phone. Meant some installations can take three separate teams, some who are directly employed by vm, others that are separate contractors. Their skill sets generally don't overlap.

Why, do you want to come down and inspect?

Yep was going to pop in with some biscuits for a cuppa. :)

But they do, they just won't disclose the manufacture at this time. From what I understand the modems are missing some fairly fundamental and very basic interfaces. So maybe they are putting those things right before releasing anything further.

Nothing new, they can't even get the password field to be masked...

Looks like they will just have media convertors.

Confirmed they were separate teams and so far I've seen 3 different companies involved.

Guess we will know when they are ready to release the info to joe public.

I love the idea of these new speeds, and am on 350 myself currently.
But I'll admit I'm struggling to think what you need this speed for.

It can't be for gaming, TV Viewing, or just normal Downloads.
Is this meant for companies to move data between sites, or perhaps video editors wishing to move video files etc.

Years ago I was clammering for faster and faster speed, yet now I have a good speed, I know I'm not using it, and if I'm honest I could drop a lot and not notice it.

Years ago, when 'downloading things to watch' was a thing, sure, but for myself anyway, streaming services have killed the need to download and collect things.

If there is anything I want it's upload speed.
I'd love to do cloud data backups for all my data, but fast download does nothing to make this a reality.

Don't get me wrong, I love speed, 100GB both ways bring it on :)
However, in all honestly right now, I can't think what I'd use it for.

Do you think you will swap?. How's the alternatives

Right now I'm with talktalk and getting 40 down FTTC. They replaced the feed from DP in copper, which improved reliability of the service. But their Sagemcom Fast5364 router leaves a lot to be desired. Constant dropouts on 5GHz side, no VPN or bridge mode settings, TT having locked these settings. Talking with their support group is limited as they are not very knowledgeable and resort to stock answers the ryead of cheat sheets.

As for what's available, there is no other service available that will be able to compete with VM, though this might well change. So it's a waiting game to see what VM will be charging for their services.

Can you not swap out the modem for a better one or is it even worse than Sky to get the credentials?

Managed to finally get above a 1Gig on my network :)

8883413271.png

Can you not swap out the modem for a better one or is it even worse than Sky to get the credentials?

Yes I've just done that and decided to go modem only and Linksys wrt3200, which I got for a steal, and at least I can do all I need to do with it. In fairness to the Fast 5364, the download on WiFi was good at 40 down but the rest of the router is crap as TT has blocked anything useful as far as settings go.

That's looking good. :thumbsup:

I'll need to wait a while yet to see what I can get from VM

Yep, it's with a little bit of jiggery-pokery which I will have to write up at some point. Need to tweak a little bit more first as in modem only mode it tops out at 930ish or so due to the limit of the gigabit connections it has.

How did you manage that? I thought the router was limited by the Ethernet ports?

It is but two bonded connections to the SH4 from a much more powerful router with an onboard 10Gbe connection removes some of the limitations. A single connection is still going to be somewhat limited but a lot of the speedtests need multiple connections to achieve the advertised speeds anyway.

Just been told I can get M500 Ultimate Umph Bundle today, includes 2 x V6 box, on FTTP and 1Gb in 3 months time. Looks like £89/mnth 12 month contract bundle deal, £139 thereafter.

Just been told I can get M500 Ultimate Umph Bundle today, includes 2 x V6 box, on FTTP and 1Gb in 3 months time. Looks like £89 12 month bundle deal contract and £139 thereafter.

You, going to go for it then? Out of interest do you have Sky currently?

There is also up to £200 cashback as a new customer :)

No I don't have sky. But will consider the deal. Haven't seen anything on the £200 cashback though.

No I don't have sky. But will consider the deal.

Ok, that's ok not missing out on Sky, just don't think VM's TV service is as good.

At least they can legitimately market it properly as fibre this time with you getting FTTP :laugh:

Let us know what happens.

Ok, that's ok not missing out on Sky, just don't think VM's TV service is as good.

At least they can legitimately market it properly as fibre this time with you getting FTTP :laugh:

Let us know what happens.

The tv side of it doesn't really interest me, but thanks for the link re TopCashback, I'm already a member but forgot all about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom