NEWS: Virgin Media unleashes Gig1 home broadband in Manchester

Not a patch on my service, gigabit symmetrical unlimited for £30/month from B4RN.

I won't be taking it up at that price.
My 350Mb is perfectly adequate and will be for quite a while yet.

I’ve taken it’s up, they’ve matched what I’m currently paying for 350mb and phone so it’s a no brainier really. Only down side is I’m now locked in for 18 months, no other provider can offer anything close so it’s not like I’m going to want to swap anytime soon anyway.

I’ve taken it’s up, they’ve matched what I’m currently paying for 350mb and phone so it’s a no brainier really. Only down side is I’m now locked in for 18 months, no other provider can offer anything close so it’s not like I’m going to want to swap anytime soon anyway.

Ah, I'd definitely take it up if that were the case.
Whenever it hits Birmingham, that is.

And how many of these premises had access to the 350Mbps service before?

Faster connections for those who already have huge amounts of bandwidth available is pretty unexciting news.

@JimBobRude what is your package if you dont mind me asking and were you already out of contract and went through retentions just asking as i am going to call tomorrow to see what they can do for me im currently paying £75 for the full tele 350Mbps and Talk More Anytime signed up in March this year on 12 Month contract but received £250 cash back

I moved to Portugal last year, and we've had Gigabit fibre for 7 months now, 1 Gb down and 200 Mb up, including around 200 TV channels, 4k box and landline, all for 45 Euros per month

@JimBobRude what is your package if you dont mind me asking and were you already out of contract and went through retentions just asking as i am going to call tomorrow to see what they can do for me im currently paying £75 for the full tele 350Mbps and Talk More Anytime signed up in March this year on 12 Month contract but received £250 cash back
My ‘deal’ is nowhere near as good as that, I am with sky for TV. The best deals are always for the entire package so I’m paying £57 for the broadband and phone only.
i think if you offered to lock yourself back into contract they would probably upgrade you and just charge the installation fee( which I got wavered) .
I’m actually tempted to cancel sky and give virgin TV another go based on your deal, if I could get anything close to that I would save about £30 a month VS having sky tv and virgin broadband separate.

It's just a shame they've decided to stick with gigabit ports! If you want to use your own router like I do you're losing around 150mb in download speed straight away.

It's just a shame they've decided to stick with gigabit ports! If you want to use your own router like I do you're losing around 150mb in download speed straight away.
I felt the same when I read about the new router. I decided to disconnect my own router and run the hub3 for the last 2 weeks to see if it had improved and I’ve had no issues. The WiFi has been reliable and consistent, great coverage throughout my ( small ish) home, and as for my current go to online shooters, COD blackout, I’ve had no issues with latency.
based on this I’m optimistic I’ll get on just fine with the improved hub4.

I felt the same when I read about the new router. I decided to disconnect my own router and run the hub3 for the last 2 weeks to see if it had improved and I’ve had no issues. The WiFi has been reliable and consistent, great coverage throughout my ( small ish) home, and as for my current go to online shooters, COD blackout, I’ve had no issues with latency.
based on this I’m optimistic I’ll get on just fine with the improved hub4.

I've always had issues with the superhubs when it comes to using multiple xboxes / PlayStations and trying to play in the same games, to be fair the BT home hub couldn't handle it either. If the superhub 4 fixes this issue (I'm not confident it will) I'll probably be OK once it hits my area.

With that being said, I still think it's extremely poor, especially when we start reading the "you can download a 4k movie in X amount of time" comments because I bet they're based on the 1100+ mb figure that you can't possibly hit using a single device.

802.11ac Wave2 is well over 3 years old. It is disappointing the new router will not support the latest 802.11ax wi-fi standard; also referred to as Wi-Fi 6.

802.11ac Wave2 is well over 3 years old. It is disappointing the new router will not support the latest 802.11ax wi-fi standard; also referred to as Wi-Fi 6.
It is disappointing although I’ve had my hub 4 since Thursday and I am impressed by its performance so far though.
I’m getting 950 down and 50 up wired consistently, latency and ping are lower than the hub 3.
I’m getting anywhere between 350 and 550 down on my iPhone 11 in the same room and between 150 and 300 in the next room roughly 20 meters from the router.

Not a patch on my service, gigabit symmetrical unlimited for £30/month from B4RN.

Which is great if you are in an area you can get that service, we are not.

My ‘deal’ is nowhere near as good as that, I am with sky for TV. The best deals are always for the entire package so I’m paying £57 for the broadband and phone only.
i think if you offered to lock yourself back into contract they would probably upgrade you and just charge the installation fee( which I got wavered) .
I’m actually tempted to cancel sky and give virgin TV another go based on your deal, if I could get anything close to that I would save about £30 a month VS having sky tv and virgin broadband separate.

I am also on VM possibly the same package prior to that paying £57 a month but with an £8 discount that is for 350Mbps and the cheapest phone package.

I also have Sky but can't see myself going to VM for TV etc., have weighed up the options a few times.

How did you manage to get the "new" price? I rang up on Friday and originally the VM person was confused and eventually found the new speed and went yep it's £57 and went away for a bit. Then came back and said actually £67 + 35 ish fee for modem. I said at that point no but wouldn't mind trying the higher speed.

Yes, I was wondering if there is any inventive way around this as I normally go Modem Only mode ...

It is disappointing although I’ve had my hub 4 since Thursday and I am impressed by its performance so far though.
I’m getting 950 down and 50 up wired consistently, latency and ping are lower than the hub 3.
I’m getting anywhere between 350 and 550 down on my iPhone 11 in the same room and between 150 and 300 in the next room roughly 20 meters from the router.

What's realworld performance like though as sometimes VM's outbound peering seems a little bit rubbish.

I'm currently looking to get the Ultimate Ooomph Bundle which includes 500MB, Sky Cinema,phone and unlimited sim for £79 a month.
Don't have the 1Gig option in Colchester yet but I think this is a pretty good deal and they are bound to upgrade me to 1Gig for free or same cost once it finally gets here.

I currently have Virgin at 100MB, with phone. I pay £24 per month but the deal runs out on 24 January 2020. I have decided tor reserve the 1GB deal at £67 per month from 24 January 2020 onwards, but can change my mind in the meantime, so I may call closer to the time to see if they can reduce the £67 per month, albeit I doubt they will.

I can't even get fibre on Openreach in my area, let alone at speeds up to 1GB, so I am pretty much stuck with Virgin.

I currently have Virgin at 100MB, with phone. I pay £24 per month but the deal runs out on 24 January 2020. I have decided tor reserve the 1GB deal at £67 per month from 24 January 2020 onwards, but can change my mind in the meantime, so I may call closer to the time to see if they can reduce the £67 per month, albeit I doubt they will.

I can't even get fibre on Openreach in my area, let alone at speeds up to 1GB, so I am pretty much stuck with Virgin.

That's full price for that, why don't you call retentions and get them to do you a deal. I am paying 56 a month for phone and bb so sounds same package. I get £11 discount for first 12 months on an 18 month contract. The setup/delivery fee was also waived.

As you are this close to end of contract they world normally do a deal as any new service would be under contract for at least 12 months. Only retention will normally offer you this as I tried before on the normal sales? line and they offered me the price you quoted plus 30 or so for setup.

That's helpful, thanks.

Is it worth £56 per month in your opinion?

That's helpful, thanks.

Is it worth £56 per month in your opinion?

That's a good question...

Yes and no. I was paying 49 before for 350Mbits and it was going to go up 3 pounds so yes from that point.

No from a point of view of do I really actually get those (or even need) speeds. I am at the limits of some of my kit. In modem only mode it maxes out at 930Mbps assuming your own router can keep up, mine currently struggles.

If you have a really busy house then yes it would be good too.

Then there is Virgin’s outbound connection, is the peering to your destination address any good. You will hit limits elsewhere in the journey.

I also think upload speeds need to be higher, whilst symmetric would be great we at one twentieth at the moment one fifth would be far better. Especially if you are doing multiple streams

Sadly I'm sat here at the moment unable to get any of VM's fiber offering. They have though over the last 2 months installed all the cables in the street, and the cabs are in place. The cables run across my drive, just outside the gates. They have said they are committed to supplying FTTP so hoping come the new year I can get a good deal off them.

Are they plumbing in genuine fibre in you area?

They trialled the 8Gbps service in on their FTTP network apparently ...

Yes it's without doubt genuine fibre. I've talked to the guys putting it in, seen it with my own eyes and had a look at the cabs. Having worked in the industry I know what genuine fibre looks like for sure.

I am not doubting you, just wondering as to how/if the service will vary for you for example. All their cabinets have fibre to them and they can deliver a gig over coax.

And what modem they are going to use :)

That we will have to see, but for sure they have put the entire backbone in in fibre, not a mm of coax in sight.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom