NEWS: What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for June 2020

I've been absolutely blown away by Succession. Nearing the end of the first season and it's quickly becoming an all time favourite. Top tier writing and performances...

Thanks, yes time to watch succession, heard good things.
My Brilliant friend is worth a watch, great Italian drama and superb Max Richter score, looking forward to season 2.

The weather's improving... is the TV?

Eh? Not up here. Driest, sunniest spring ever and now it's 10 degrees and a yellow rain warning is in force.

The weather's improving... is the TV?

Eh? Not up here. Driest, sunniest spring ever and now it's 10 degrees and a yellow rain warning is in force.
Yup, I got caught out by the change from great to lousy.... it was lovely when I started the piece. Anyway, I hope the new strapline is more suitable.

The time limits on Now TV's content, often very, very short time limits really limits the appeal. I don't want to have to watch an entire series of a show in 30 days.

Plus the poor picture and sound quality and the obnoxious 50hz conversions add to the pain. It's just a poor service which unfortunately still has the HBO licence.

Some of these shows, especially the docs, would really benefit from 4K. They need to get their finger out.

Some of these shows, especially the docs, would really benefit from 4K. They need to get their finger out.
They have pulled it out 10mm....its a start.

Succession only in HD. That would be the predecessor no?
Star Wars ruse of sky walker, only in HD even on buy and keep. Joker, 1917 same

yep it’s a joke alright

Can anyone explain how sky are going to start charging for sports again yet are airing all the football on the free to air channel?

Can anyone explain how sky are going to start charging for sports again yet are airing all the football on the free to air channel?
They're not.

39 games they originally had rights to will be on Sky Sports and 25 other games will be on free to air. These 25 weren't part of the original TV rights deals

My Brilliant Friend (S2)
this is what I'm looking forward to if it's anywhere near as good as the first season (book)

Me & my wife (who has Italian parents from Campania) thought season 2 was even better than the first one. You have a treat in store.

The time limits on Now TV's content, often very, very short time limits really limits the appeal. I don't want to have to watch an entire series of a show in 30 days.

Plus the poor picture and sound quality and the obnoxious 50hz conversions add to the pain. It's just a poor service which unfortunately still has the HBO licence.

Can't agree sorry. Take out Now Boost to get 1080p/5.1 at an additional £3 a month, then get your car (or any other) insurance through Confused for a free 6 months. The variety on Now is excellent for the cost. Total yearly cost just over £100.

At the start of lockdown I was offered a year of Sky Movies for £70, again with 1080p/5.1

So I'm getting an the boxsets, all the movies in full HD / 5.1 (except some Fox shows) for around £15 a month. And hardly anything only lasts for 30 days (tbh I can't think of anything). Things that disappear usually reappear not long after anyway, or get renewed on their expiry date.

I've been a Now customer since GoT S3 and I've no complaints for the price.

Me & my wife (who has Italian parents from Campania) thought season 2 was even better than the first one. You have a treat in store.

Really enjoyed S1 (my wife is from Parma), so looking forward to this

Really enjoyed S1 (my wife is from Parma), so looking forward to this

Yeah well it probably won't get reviewed on here because it lacks superheros. It didn't get mentioned in the podcast just the usual type of stuff.
Looked on Rotten Tomatoes and season 2 is rocking and rolling 100% by critics and that is super rare. The first season holds mid 90%s.

Anyway recorded the first episode and will get going on it tonight.

The Guardian review of My Brilliant Friend gave EP1 of S2 5 stars (out of 5).

The Guardian review of My Brilliant Friend gave EP1 of S2 5 stars (out of 5).

Well yeah, and it was good enough to show in cinemas in Italy.

Anyway over the last year I have come to the realisation as far as media (Film/TV/Music) AV forums is not the place to go. Far to stuck in genres and far to stuck in reviewing what the reviewer likes. How many times can you review the same movie just on a new format??

Sure they do a bit of other stuff but you only have to look through all the reviews and you can see there is a clear bias.

Listen to the podcast and all to often it ends up talking about the same kind of thing with regards to media.

Well yeah, and it was good enough to show in cinemas in Italy.

Anyway over the last year I have come to the realisation as far as media (Film/TV/Music) AV forums is not the place to go. Far to stuck in genres and far to stuck in reviewing what the reviewer likes. How many times can you review the same movie just on a new format??

Sure they do a bit of other stuff but you only have to look through all the reviews and you can see there is a clear bias.

Listen to the podcast and all to often it ends up talking about the same kind of thing with regards to media.
This site has a clear bias in many areas. The heavy handed moderation doesn’t help matters either.

This site has a clear bias in many areas. The heavy handed moderation doesn’t help matters either.
Could not disagree more folks. It goes without saying that key contributors have opinions, but that is all part of the debate. A fair and balanced website in my view.

Could not disagree more folks. It goes without saying that key contributors have opinions, but that is all part of the debate. A fair and balanced website in my view.

Well as far as I can tell the reviews have created a audience and that is who they play to. It's unfortunately like a youtube channel or a facebook group.

Well as far as I can tell the reviews have created a audience and that is who they play to. It's unfortunately like a youtube channel or a facebook group.
It's like anything these days. Echo Chambers. Any dissent from the prevailing consensus and you're chastised. A couple of people had dissenting voices in the political threads and ended up banned.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom