Nextbase 522GW

NB support are very good.

Out of curiosity, I just had a run into town to drop the daughter off somewhere - so a drive of around 40 minutes there and back. I touched the camera when I got home and it was warm but not excessively so. I always have the screensaver set to the GPS speed readout (that will keep temps down) though screen completely off could be marginally better. Screen ON is bad 2 fold - first it will mean the cam will deffo run hotter (powering a screen too) plus the police might consider it illegal (driving distraction, rather than a driving aid).

Hi Paul, i have had my 522gw for about 3 weeks, find it great piece of kit,although the alexa part confuses me a little, what i am trying to do is bluetooth from my 522gw to my samsung s9+, and then to my pannosic bluetooth radio which is frustrating me
any ideas how i might be able to do this
thanks
Kibo

bluetooth from my 522gw to my samsung s9+, and then to my pannosic bluetooth radio which is frustrating me

Kibo

Bit beyond my ken this m8 - again - the support team may be able to point you in the right direction. I only have a plugin DAB to my radio and I don't turn that on often, so I reckon I'd be frustrated too - but my DAB Bluetooth is an old one as well...

Ring the same number as above. :smashin:

I just fitted my front and rear 522gw, no problems so far, although it did lock up when first attaching the rear view. A reset sorted it out. As our primary car is an all electric car Halfords could not fit it with a direct power connection so i have it fitted via the 12v plug.

I am looking to get a mount and use the direct power to use in our second(seldom used, long distance second vehicle). Question is which mount to I need? Amazon list a mount with and without a GPS chip for the 522gw but as the chip is in camera why list a GPS mount?

Paul

The GPS is in that mount not built into the camera. If you get the other mount then it will not record your speed and location.

Hi Paul, I’ve recently had fitted the 522GW front dash cam at Halfords they also fitted a rear facing one, however on the journey home I noticed that I had lost all my Dab radio stations, so went back and the guy spent about another hour and half re routing the cable to the rear in various positions but could not resolve, apparently it can interfere with the dab radio signal which uses the rear screen heater (my car is a Skoda Kodiaq) in the end he gave up and refunded the money for the rear dash cam, have you heard of this before ?

Also is it normal for the dash cam screen to stay active all he time when I am driving along, I thought it should go blank but keep recording?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim.

It is well documented that rear dashcam cables can cause interference with DAB radios. It happened with mine when I had a duo system. The remedy is re-routing cables, but it can take a lot of time and effort to find a path with least interference.

The 522GW menu allows you to turn off the screen - navigate to the screensaver and select "Off".

Hope that helps.

Paul.

Hi Jim.

It is well documented that rear dashcam cables can cause interference with DAB radios. It happened with mine when I had a duo system. The remedy is re-routing cables, but it can take a lot of time and effort to find a path with least interference.

The 522GW menu allows you to turn off the screen - navigate to the screensaver and select "Off".

Hope that helps.

Paul.

Thanks for your help Paul, much appreciated

Jim

Hi good reviews above, I've been running the 412 for a few years and 99% ok even after falling from the screen when left in the sun. The other halfs had battery issues and got repaired but still played up so been waititng to upgrade.
In Costco I got the new 412GW for her inc 8gig card for £79 which was good.
I've just got the 522GW and cab 2nd cam from Halford for £143.
1st Issue I have is you can't change the wifi password making your recording un-secure or someone live view your camera listening to you. I need to check this out.
2nd Can't see an option to download videos onto your SD card on the phone.
I've not plugged the cab cam in yet, does that have it's own video file?

Thanks
Siddy

Hi m8.

As far as I know, the dashcam will save only to a default folder on the phone, not to a user specific one. That may come in a future update.

The 2 cams once connected will create 2 individual files on the one microSD card.

The wifi password should be secure, because the phone has to pair with a device to send, and pairing the card to the app creates a unique pairing number.

If you have any concerns about security, you can get reassurance for the ir support team at [email protected]

Paul.

Cheers Paul, I've sent a mail to Nextbase to let them know nothing is wirking on the support pages no links to click and asked about the wifi.

Let me know what they say m8. :smashin:

Just bought a 522GW, rear camera and hard wire kit here in Canada. Will see how it goes. I use a mini0906 cam in my other vehicle which I find is tiny and discreet looking. The nextbase I find might attract thieves since it looks like a camera. Also read Spotify is incompatible at the moment via Alexa, hope that will be fixed soon. As for battery, I used to have a battery powered dash cam before, they tend to run badly in cold weathers (-30 degrees Celsius and lower)...

I got the 522 on Friday 2 days old and it will not charge now tried usb when I got it but it on charge for 2 hrs but looked flat but put in to car worked ok set up a live feed in car with there kit so plug in all night use it for a test then when flat now blue light will not go on

Push a pin in the reset hole to reset the whole dashcam. If it still isn't doing what it should contact [email protected]

Push a pin in the reset hole to reset the whole dashcam. If it still isn't doing what it should contact [email protected]
Thanks done that charge it up shown full turn it on and it when flat after 2 min had to press rest every time I use it it’s no good I think I got a bad one spent a lot on it hard wire kit and back camera that fits on the side works grate till this morning

Hello. I have just purchased and installed a Nextbase 522GW to my car. I have decided to use the 12v cigarette light socket to power the cam. My question is should I unplug the dash cam from the 12v socket every time I park and leave the car? The reason for asking is that if I don't the cam does not switch off and I am concerned it will drain the battery over night.
Many thanks, Phill

Hi just has my 522 install and rear cam aswell hard wired at halfords Warrington today...
not use it much yet but looks ok...

Mine was hardwired so it turned off when parked Phil.

I'm thinking of getting the 522GW possibly with rear camera to go in a Skoda Octavia. The only option if I want it hardwired is Halfords as the installation at our local Skoda dealer is into the 12V socket and we use that for device chargers. I'm planning on having it wired in to a point that is only on with the ignition to prevent any possibility of it draining the battery if car isn't used for a week or two. Roughly how long does it run on battery in parking mode (assuming it's fully charged to start with).

I've seen/read a lot about possible DAB interference with the rear camera and was debating not having this, but we've had a number of scares on motorway in stop/start traffic with people behind us on their phones. Is there a best route for the cables under the roof lining? i.e. is one side better than the other? Would placing a ferrite core around the cable at the rear camera end help? Ideally I'd prefer rear camera over the module in the 522 itself, but don't want to give up the DAB at the same time.

Jason
I have this fitted in my fiesta with the rear window camera, with a dab stereo and I get no interference with it. I also hardwired mine in myself, very simple to do as well. All you need is the Nextbase hard wire kit. All I did was piggybacked the fuse onto the wiper fuse in the car and earthed it behind the glove box under a bolt. All works perfectly, im not sure on the parking mode as I have disabled mine, so mine only activates when I unlock my car doors and always has battery. The only annoying thing with it is that when I unlock my doors it protects the 30 second clip.
Oh and one more thing make sure you buy the correct memory card which I didn't.

Hi Jim.

Hope that helps.

Paul.

Mine wont turn off at all......tried all settings. Silly question...Does this dashcam record 24/7 ? if it does then the sd card will be filled overnight of videos of my driveway......Any help would be appreciated. Regards

Mine wont turn off at all......tried all settings. Silly question...Does this dashcam record 24/7 ? if it does then the sd card will be filled overnight of videos of my driveway......Any help would be appreciated. Regards

If it is hard wired, it needs to be on a fuse tap that is only live with the ignition on. If it is off the 12v socket, the socket needs to be live only when the ignition is on. My 12v socket is live, so anything in it needs removing to cut power.

The 12v socket I use is ignition controlled....Skoda Kodiaq. ....Cam on 24/7..Could there be a chance there is a faulty electrics module on the car not shutting down ? I leave the car, ignition off, doors locked and the cam screensaver ( speed ) on permanent...my daughter has a Ring Dashcam, ( quarter price of 522 ) it goes on and off with ignition with no issues........and has all the settings of the nextbase...... I'll try a mobile light in the socket and see what happens.....as I say might be the car....Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom