No 5.1 with new AV Receiver set up

stevetexas

Novice Member
Hello, troubleshooting for my father from afar, but I’m stuck. He has a Samsung RU 7100 UHD tv, paired with Pioneer VSX 834 receiver, and Roku Premiere streaming device. We are connected out of TV HDMI 3 (ARC). Roku seems to recognize the 5.1 set up, but not getting 5.1 surround. I think the problem is the TV settings. Tried to go to advanced audio set up but I can’t switch Audio output from PCM to anything else (Bitstream or other). I see Dolby options but they are grayed out. Receiver manual clearly says that to use DD+ then use hdmi ARC and bitstream output. I’m under the impression that Netflix only supports DD+. When on Netflix, no 5.1 options are available so I must be missing something. To be clear, all 5 speakers are working (just not 5.1 surround). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Is the Roku connected to the AVR rather than the TV?

gibbsy

I don't know anything about Roku but is there an audio setting for bitstream or Dolby Digital instead of PCM which is the likely source for stereo only.

stevetexas

Novice Member
Unfortunately no. They are greyed out. Roku setting seem to be correct. I feel like the problem must be the tv since it’s not letting me update other than PCM

dante01

Distinguished Member
It wouldn't have anything to do with the TV if the Roku is connected directly to the AV receiver, not unless the AV receiver has been configured to pass the audio signal through and out to the TV? This would force the source to use the TV's audio configurations to determine what that source outputs. You'd ordinarill not configure an AV receiver to pass the audio as well as the video out to the TV and it is more common to only pass the video signal through to the display.

Other than the above, the TV would play no part in determining the audio and would ordinarilly only be dealing with the video.

stevetexas

Novice Member
Ok I think that makes sense. So the Roku is pushing audio content to receiver and receiver sending audio to speakers. And the receiver is only pushing video content to the tv. So is the error in the Roku set up somewhere? And then what is the point of using the ARC hdmi between tv and receiver?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The normal configurationswould only pass video through and out to the TV unless someone has specifically reconfigured the AV receiver to pass audio through as well? THere'd be no reason to do this though and it restricts HDMI audio sources to outputting formats the TV is able to handle. THe AV receiver has far greater audio handling abilities so you normally don't pass audio through and out to the TV. You can have some AV receivers configured to pass both audio and video through while in standby, but this wouldn't be in effect while the AV receiver is in use. THe tAV receiver's audio output configuration should be set to just AVR and not TV or TV + AVR.

ARC uses the HDMI connection to convey audio sourced via the TV out to the AV receiver. This is more convenient that having to connect an additional optical cable between the 2 devices. ARC basically repurposes the HDMI cable and uses it to convey just audio from the TV to the AV receiver. No video is being conveyed in either direction while the Audio Return Channel is in use.

and yes, the most likely culprit would be the Roku if the Roku is connected directly to the AV receiver. THe only option on the receiver that would result in you only getting 2 channel stereo is the receiver's stereo mode. If this isn't engaged then the Roku is only outputting 2 channe l stereo if the receiver is only receiving 2 channel PCM. THe Roku is either not playing anything more than a 2 channel source or it is configured incorrectly.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Roku's configurations so cannot be of much assistance when it comes to telling you what to look at or what to adjust. It basically needs to be configured to BITSTREAM the audio it is accessing.

Last edited:

stevetexas

Novice Member
The normal configurationswould only pass video through and out to the TV unless someone has specifically reconfigured the AV receiver to pass audio through as well? THere'd be no reason to do this though and it restricts HDMI audio sources to outputting formats the TV is able to handle. THe AV receiver has far greater audio handling abilities so you normally don't pass audio through and out to the TV. You can have some AV receivers configured to pass both audio and video through while in standby, but this wouldn't be in effect while the AV receiver is in use. THe tAV receiver's audio output configuration should be set to just AVR and not TV or TV + AVR.

ARC uses the HDMI connection to convey audio sourced via the TV out to the AV receiver. This is more convenient that having to connect an additional optical cable between the 2 devices. ARC basically repurposes the HDMI cable and uses it to convey just audio from the TV to the AV receiver. No video is being conveyed in either direction while the Audio Return Channel is in use.

and yes, the most likely culprit would be the Roku if the Roku is connected directly to the AV receiver. THe only option on the receiver that would result in you only getting 2 channel stereo is the receiver's stereo mode. If this isn't engaged then the Roku is only outputting 2 channe l stereo if the receiver is only receiving 2 channel PCM. THe Roku is either not playing anything more than a 2 channel source or it is configured incorrectly.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Roku's configurations so cannot be of much assistance when it comes to telling you what to look at or what to adjust. It basically needs to be configured to BITSTREAM the audio it is accessing.
Right so does ARC imply that audio is passing between tv and receiver? To your point, if the Roku is the source of content (Netflix), then audio should pass from Roku to AVR, essentially rendering the tv obsolete from an audio perspective. Am I thinking about this right? Should I not be using ARC hdmi port on the tv?

dante01

Distinguished Member
If the receiver's display indicates that it is set to the ARC source then it is accessing audio via ARC abd the TV.

If the Roku is connected directly to the AV receiver via HDMI then the audio isn't been soueced from it via ARC. You'd need to select the source it is connected to in order to access the audio from it. If you select this source, the associated video would be passed through the AV receiver to the TV while the AV receiver is processing and outputting the associated audio via its speakers.

You can use the ARC enabled input on the TV and you'd need to ise this port if wanting to use ARC to access audio via the TV, but if not wanting to use ARC to access audio via the TV then you do not have to have the receiver's HDMI output connected to the ARC enabled input on the TV and you can use any of the other inputs on the TV to convey video sourced via the AV receiver to the TV.

Last edited:

stevetexas

Novice Member
If the receiver's display indicates that it is set to the ARC source then it is accessing audio via ARC abd the TV.

If the Roku is connected directly to the AV receiver via HDMI then the audio isn't been soueced from it via ARC. You'd need to select the source it is connected to in order to access the audio from it. If you select this source, the associated video would be passed through the AV receiver to the TV while the AV receiver is processing and outputting the associated audio via its speakers.

You can use the ARC enabled input on the TV and you'd need to ise this port if wanting to use ARC to access audio via the TV, but if not wanting to use ARC to access audio via the TV then you do not have to have the receiver's HDMI output connected to the ARC enabled input on the TV and you can use any of the other inputs on the TV to convey video sourced via the AV receiver to the TV.
Thanks for your help. I will try to troubleshoot this with my dad again tonight. Let me outline the set up and make sure it is what you are recommending...

1- hdmi tv to avr (do not use arc input on tv)
2 - hdmi Roku to avr
3 - disable arc function on avr
In this set up, there’s really no need to use an optical cable from TV to receiver right? I can’t think of a scenario where I would need to source audio from the TV at all.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You can use the ARC enabled input on the TV. It makes no odds whether you do or not. If you don't though, you wouldn'y t then be able to use ARC to source audio from the TV.
You don;t need to disable ARC on either the TV or the AV receiver, simply ensure that the AV receiver is set to the source associated with the Roku while wishong to use the Roku and while wanting to access audio via that source. ARC is another source and would be sourcing the audio via the TV using the HDMI connection to the TV.

There'd be no need to have an additional optical connection from the TV to the AV receiver if using ARC. ARC will only come into play when you select a source on the TV such as a smart app or if using the TV's own inbuilt tuner. This would cause the AV receiver to automatically select ARC as the source. You sometimes get some AV receivers that automatically set themselves to ARC when initially powered up, but you can easilly select another source if this happens .

Last edited:

stevetexas

Novice Member
You can use the ARC enabled input on the TV. It makes no odd whether you door not. If you don't though, you wouldn'y t then be able to use ARC to source audio from the TV.
You don;t need to disable ARC on either the TV or the AV receiver, simply ensure that the AV receiver is set to the source associated with the Roku while wishong to use the Roku and while wanting to access audio via that source. ARC is another source and would be sourcing the audio via the TV using the HDMI connection to the TV.

There'd be no need to have an additional optical connection from the TV to the AV receiver if using ARC. ARC will only come into play when you select a source on the TV such as a smart app or if using the TV's own inbuilt tuner. This would cause the AV receiver to automatically select ARC as the source. You sometimes get some AV receivers that automatically set themselves to ARCat power up. You can easilly select another source if this happens though.
Thanks for your help. Turned out to be a setting on the Roku all along. Really appreciate your help. If anyone else has a similar issue, the setting on Roku needs to be set to so Sound Leveling - Off in order to unlock 5.1. Thanks again!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom