no audio track detected with True HD Atmos

willydoit

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Denon AVR2312 unit connected to a popcornhour. I know both units support TrueHD audio as on other mkv titles the amp display that incoming signal is TrueHD.

I have recently tried to play MKV files which have a TrueHD Atmos track but the amp shows no incoming audio signal when played back. I dont expect to replay atmos on my amp but I thought the atmos TrueHD signal was backward compatible and that although my amp isnt atmos compatible it should detect and play the TrueHD audio track.

I dont know if the issue is the popcorn hour not sending the signal correctly or the amp not receiving it. I have checked the audio on an example file and according to mediaInfo the info on the audio track is as below.

My question is should my equipment still be able to see and play back the TrueHD stream or would the info below indicate that there is only an atmos stream and cannot be played on a non atmos amp?

Thanks in advance for any help provided and apologies for my very basic knowledge on these issues.

ID : 2
Format : TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 1h 54mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 8 760 Kbps
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossless
Title : San.Andreas.2015.1080p.BluRay.x264.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

I have this problem with my oppo 103 with mkv files. True hd has problems decoding from mkv files. With me it will sometimes play and other times get no audio. When a file has another audio track like dolby digital when I toggle from that then back to true hd it will play everytime strange I know

I have this problem with my oppo 103 with mkv files. True hd has problems decoding from mkv files. With me it will sometimes play and other times get no audio. When a file has another audio track like dolby digital when I toggle from that then back to true hd it will play everytime strange I know
Same here with with the Denon 3313 and MKV with Dolby TruHD or Atmos. The WDTV will play them but the Denon won't. Next time I rip one I'll make sure I choose the standard DD track as well and see if the toggle works.

Here's a tip: You can include more than one audio track with MKV containers. Include both the TrueHD or DTS-HD encoded audio and the Dolby Digital encoded audio within the MKV container and you can then choose which to use via most media players. It is also wise to include the Dolby Digital variant of the audio when ripping DTS-HD Master Audio to an MKV file. Although the SD DTS audio is included as the core of DTS-HD audio, not all players can play DTS encoded audio so including the Dolby Digital encoding gives greater compatibility to the MKV with a greater number of devices, but still gives you the option of choosing the HD audio when using devices that can handle such audio.

Hi all,
thanks for the input, following the information provided I added another audio track to the mkv file and the toggle trick worked for me. For those who no longer have access to the original bluray disk for whatever reason you can add any audio file such as an mp3 music file and this is sufficient to perform the toggle trick.

I have a Dolby atmos encoded mkv file which I am playing through my Bluray player but I am getting no sound. My onkyo txnr646 definitely supports atmos & I have played the mad max Bluray with great atmos sound. I have also played some Dolby atmos demos which work fine & the blue light is lit up on the amp. When I flick through the audio options on the Bluray remote there is just audio LR, audio L & audio R. Can anybody point me in the right direction???

I asked a question earlier regarding this.

I have the fifth element and ripped to my hard drive in mkv format as my bluray player is region locked.

I have tried copying thr mkv file to a usb pen and keep on getting no audio supported when using the bluray player. I have today bought dvdfab and used it to get the ripped video back to a bluray format (with the BDMV folder) and copied this to my pen.
Well my amp (denon avrx 2200w) has detected the atmos channel and plays fine. But the whole film just stops playing even though the bluray player still ticking round. So I fast forward and it comes back for a second then freezes again. So this hasn't worked (i used bd50 setting) I am currently just copying another try using bd25 setting. I assume the bd25/bd50 just relates to what size disc I would burn it to, 25 being 25gb + 50 being 50gb.

If this still dint work I don't know what the answer is any advice?

Also to add if I connect my pc directly to the amp via a hdmi cable I get the video and atmos sound fine so it's not the original rip being an issue or not having all the data.

I have a Dolby atmos encoded mkv file which I am playing through my Bluray player but I am getting no sound. My onkyo txnr646 definitely supports atmos & I have played the mad max Bluray with great atmos sound. I have also played some Dolby atmos demos which work fine & the blue light is lit up on the amp. When I flick through the audio options on the Bluray remote there is just audio LR, audio L & audio R. Can anybody point me in the right direction???

I am not sure if you have a spare hdmi input on your amp but if you do try and connect a hdmi from your computer (or where ever the mkv file is stored) directly to the amp and see if it works.

Check my post above to save writing it out again.

I am not sure if you have a spare hdmi input on your amp but if you do try and connect a hdmi from your computer (or where ever the mkv file is stored) directly to the amp and see if it works.

Check my post above to save writing it out again.

Hi
I have managed to get this working, installed kodi & played through that & all working now :)

Hi
I installed kodi on my pc. then went into the receiver settings & ticked all the options for my amp.
I have a panasonic curved tv so unsure if kodi is available on it. gonna check.

Ahhh I understand but it works fine from pc connected to my amp using hdmi. The issue I was and still am having is moving the file to a usb pen and watching it from the usb pen.

following the information provided I added another audio track to the mkv file and the toggle trick worked for me.

Doesn't work for me. Ripped The Man from Uncle to MKV with both the Dolby and TrueHD tracks. My Denon player still reports audio format unsupported when I play it over the network. Streamed it to the humble WDTV and Atmos shows up no problem. Very annoying and has been like this for three years.

Doesn't work for me. Ripped The Man from Uncle to MKV with both the Dolby and TrueHD tracks. My Denon player still reports audio format unsupported when I play it over the network. Streamed it to the humble WDTV and Atmos shows up no problem. Very annoying and has been like this for three years.
I now rip all my blurays to single m2ts file using DVDFab. they all show up atmos through bitstream playing through my wd passport hardrives on my oppo 103. Mkv files are just not encoding correctly with atmos even with all the necessary audios included

I now rip all my blurays to single m2ts file using DVDFab. they all show up atmos through bitstream playing through my wd passport hardrives on my oppo 103. Mkv files are just not encoding correctly with atmos even with all the necessary audios included
It seems to be player related. As I said the WDTV had no issue sending the Man from Uncle MKV Atmos track to my receiver whereas the Denon 3313 couldn't.

For me MKV is so convenient, well supported and fast to rip. I did the Man from Uncle rip in 20 minutes this morning. Only blot seems to be forced subtitles which sometimes go awry. Full rips take longer, more space and player support is more limited. I can live with using the WDTV for the odd file my bluray player won't do, even though it's a pain.

It seems to be player related. As I said the WDTV had no issue sending the Man from Uncle MKV Atmos track to my receiver whereas the Denon 3313 couldn't.

For me MKV is so convenient, well supported and fast to rip. I did the Man from Uncle rip in 20 minutes this morning. Only blot seems to be forced subtitles which sometimes go awry. Full rips take longer, more space and player support is more limited. I can live with using the WDTV for the odd file my bluray player won't do, even though it's a pain.
All my mvk rips where fine before the November oppo update. I agree mvk are very convenient it actually does not take along as you think to encode to m2ts but the files are around 30-40 gig but pic quality is superior and prob as good as the original which is what you really want

I'm surprised you'd say picture quality is superior using a full rip over an MKV!

I'm surprised you'd say picture quality is superior using a full rip over an MKV!
They definitely are, I have compared

They definitely are, I have compared
So have I in the past and never noticed anything obvious. Most people tend to say there is no difference or loss in quality. Whatever the case I'm happy with MKV as a method as you are with your new rips.

There's no difference between the rips. MKV is a container and the video file within it is not compressed if using something like makeMKV to rip the discs. Both the audio and the video are the same quality as that which you'd get via the disc itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom