NO MANS SKY VR

2.11 seems to have completely busted the game in VR for me.

It was fine before, for hours at a time. Now its frequent crashes, bases not loading properly, falling through structures.

Really annoying!

Anyone else having problems? OG PS4.

Haven't had a chance to play since the latest patch will do tomorrow, but yeah i have seen on twitter etc of a few having issues with PS-VR, seems every patch they release does something to break the PS-VR mode that they have to release another patch to fix, this seems to be the one that breaks the most going by what i have read, I'm on a Pro but it won't make a difference as it's the same on both models until if and when they release a Pro patch.

I get they are a small team but it looks like they do a lot of testing for PC-VR and next to nothing on PS-VR they just release thet patch and hope nothing breaks of course it does and then they bother to test something, I just wish they would spend a bit more time in sorting out PS-VR if they did maybe we wouldn't have the blurry Visuals as well as the other Issues.

Played some today with the new patch and didn't have any issues so i dunno still seeing soem on twitter etc saying the PSVR version has problems.

One thing i noticed maybe it was just me but it didn't look as blurry as it was maybe the improved AA did do something to reduce it a bit but not fully.

According to a Youtuber called Polish Paul, Hello Games are running an experimental version of NMS on Steam VR which improves the graphics. Once it's been given the ok on Steam it will then be rolled out on the PSVR. It's the first thing he talks about in the video below.

I checked the Hello games Steam experimental forum and it is for sure listed as part of the patch notes
  • Introduced a number of PC VR and PSVR rendering optimisations.
  • Significantly improved image quality in PSVR: reduced blurriness caused by TAA jitter and fixed low-quality terrain/atmosphere jaggies.
It's dated today so it may be a while yet before we see it but it's part of a much larger collection of fixes and additions like new encrypted missions at the Nexus, so we might not have to wait for them to add it to other patches before sending to Sony for QA.

I'm finding i'm enjoying this more than when the base stuff first came out, not that played much of the intervening big updates since launch, but the flow feels less grindy and continuously juggling resources and inventory.

Finished the tutorials finally, which means my first base got better too. Then I added a small farm, getting power from a further away underground hotspot, and 5 large refiners to process everything.
It's nothing special, like those sky bases and stuff, but kinda proud of it still:

Captured in flat sorry.

Looks like they disabled the AA hence more jaggies being seen but that's fine I guess they couldn't enable both without the blurs, they have done a great job, I won't be able to play until the weekend to see it for myself, but I'm happy with what i'm seeing via the vids posted so far.

I tried NMS for the first time in VR last night after only playing maybe an hour or two and getting bored on the flat version...hmmm...it did look ok and perfectly playable and in your spaceship was kind of cool but as last time I was just bored and couldn't be bothered.
I'm on the 2nd planet and basically had to build a base or something and wandering around finding resources was so dull so I jumped in my spaceship....cool...

...anyway after the initial fun I started to run low on fuel and again...nothing to do...

Maybe if you have countless hours to spend searching for resources and building stuff it might be better but it does seem there is nothing really to do in this game. Is there a way to play where you don't have to spend 99% of your time mining stuff to build with?

I really would love a decent space game, wish Elite was on PSVR, even the old BBC version :)

...nothing to do...

I really would love a decent space game, wish Elite was on PSVR, even the old BBC version :)

U wot guv? 🤣

It's true, the game does not have a tight narrative, but to then say you'd rather play old school Elite (which had absolutely no narrative from what I remember) makes no sense.

You can pretty muctc, eh play this game as if it WAS Elite, if that's all you want to do. Buy from here, sell to there, profit etc.

Or you could play in creative mode and build race tracks and sprawling city bases, if that floats your boat and you can't be arsed with the grind. (don't try and build large bases in VR, the PS4 can't handle it!)

I would suggest following the main story line though. Yes it ticks along at a slow pace, but it's quite interesting and well put together.

If the original Elite was your cup of tea, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to find something enjoyable to while away the hours with in NMS

U wot guv? 🤣

It's true, the game does not have a tight narrative, but to then say you'd rather play old school Elite (which had absolutely no narrative from what I remember) makes no sense.

You can pretty muctc, eh play this game as if it WAS Elite, if that's all you want to do. Buy from here, sell to there, profit etc.

Or you could play in creative mode and build race tracks and sprawling city bases, if that floats your boat and you can't be arsed with the grind. (don't try and build large bases in VR, the PS4 can't handle it!)

I would suggest following the main story line though. Yes it ticks along at a slow pace, but it's quite interesting and well put together.

If the original Elite was your cup of tea, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to find something enjoyable to while away the hours with in NMS

Not sure I've noticed much of a storyline though. So far seems to be walking around collecting resources to build something that then can be used to build something else and then you need more resources in order to use that.
Once you have that you can use it for a bit but then need more resources and so on...does not a fun game make as it is literally 99% of the time shooting at rocks and plants and the last 1% going through the convoluted menus trying to work out how to build something needed.

I don't know, I love the idea and will give it more goes but the constant having to shoot stuff so I can breath or fly etc... is purely grinding for grindings sake.

The original Elite was basic yes but you could just go and fly wherever, buy some stuff, fly somewhere else, get attacked, dock, sell stuff and buy upgrades and although simple it worked.

I did look at creative mode but that seems to be mainly for building. Just fly around from planet to planet to station buying and selling sounds good (with the odd battle) but then you still need to get fuel don't you in order to fly at a decent speed? I did that last night - took off and couldn't really go anywhere as I ran out of fuel :(

Not sure I've noticed much of a storyline though. So far seems to be walking around collecting resources to build something that then can be used to build something else and then you need more resources in order to use that.
Once you have that you can use it for a bit but then need more resources and so on...does not a fun game make as it is literally 99% of the time shooting at rocks and plants and the last 1% going through the convoluted menus trying to work out how to build something needed.

I don't know, I love the idea and will give it more goes but the constant having to shoot stuff so I can breath or fly etc... is purely grinding for grindings sake.

The original Elite was basic yes but you could just go and fly wherever, buy some stuff, fly somewhere else, get attacked, dock, sell stuff and buy upgrades and although simple it worked.

I did look at creative mode but that seems to be mainly for building. Just fly around from planet to planet to station buying and selling sounds good (with the odd battle) but then you still need to get fuel don't you in order to fly at a decent speed? I did that last night - took off and couldn't really go anywhere as I ran out of fuel :(

The main quest line is "The Artemis Path" It'll open up the first time you get your ship into space, you'll need to select it from the log. Each time you get a new sub mission, the game seems to auto switch to it. Which is mildly annoying.

You can ignore all the base building quests if you want. There is no real point to them other than explaining the basics of construction and farming. They can be a bit tedious!

For ship fuel, you can mine asteriods in space for your pulse engine fuel. There is never a reason to run out of that. Once you can make warp cells and leave your starting system, you're away!

The most tedious thing I found was constantly having to re-stock on launch fuel. Make A LOT of it when you can, then invest in efficient thrusters from one of the vendors at a space station, and then add updgrade modules. It'll make life sooooo much easier!

Inventory slots can be purchased at each and every space station you come too, as well as from the anomaly once you've reached that point in the story (1 slot per system you summon it).

Once you've broken the back of the initial grind and started down the main story, it really is worth the effort. Especially if you're an OG Elite fan!

The main quest line is "The Artemis Path" It'll open up the first time you get your ship into space, you'll need to select it from the log. Each time you get a new sub mission, the game seems to auto switch to it. Which is mildly annoying.

You can ignore all the base building quests if you want. There is no real point to them other than explaining the basics of construction and farming. They can be a bit tedious!

For ship fuel, you can mine asteriods in space for your pulse engine fuel. There is never a reason to run out of that. Once you can make warp cells and leave your starting system, you're away!

The most tedious thing I found was constantly having to re-stock on launch fuel. Make A LOT of it when you can, then invest in efficient thrusters from one of the vendors at a space station, and then add updgrade modules. It'll make life sooooo much easier!

Inventory slots can be purchased at each and every space station you come too, as well as from the anomaly once you've reached that point in the story (1 slot per system you summon it).

Once you've broken the back of the initial grind and started down the main story, it really is worth the effort. Especially if you're an OG Elite fan!

Thanks for the tips, will try those when I give it another go :)

Later on (at some point, not sure) you can get a module in your ship that automatically regenerates your launch fuel.

I didn't find the base-build onerous, and got to quite enjoy it after a bit (see post #81 above), but then I sort of had a lot of resources from previously.

The one minor annoyance is still how fast your life support stuff runs out on hazardous planets. Sure it's there for the survival aspect, and you can upgrade things later, but "normal" bad weather runs it down fast, and storms obliterate it.
IMO it'd be better if normal bad rate was slower, but keep making people want to find cover for storms.

Played this first time in ages last night, i think the graphics have improved a fair bit from launch.

A lot more crisper when close up, the distance was still a bit blurry, but menus and cockpit was beffinatly better

Picked it up when it was offer earlier this year. I've really been enjoying it in VR with 2 moves.
It seems a bit ponderous to get going but given how much I'm having to learn about how all the controls work I'm OK with the hand holding and slow pace.
Could have done with discovering all the wildlife isn't friendly before my first death mind ;) ...

Accidentally launched my spaceship hiding from a storm then discovered it's very difficult to land it in the same place again! Then nearly did the same thing later on only to discover I'd got no launch fuel left :facepalm:

Does anyone else have an issue summoning their freighter with the move controllers since the Synthesis update?. I tried it today first time playing since the update was released and wasn't able to summon my freighter, I have a couple of ships on it and a Frigget that has completed a 4hr discovery mission that I'm unable to get the rewards from.

It seems every time they do an update they break something on PS-VR due to the lack of testing on it.. sigh.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom