Question No separate sub just soundbar, for LG C9?

smallblueplanet

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an LG 55" C9 in BF sales. I understand that the built-in sound is fairly ordinary, so what soundbar would be a value deal for it?

It will be in a smallish room, which is attached to the neighbours house, so I'm not wanting a massive sound system just a soundbar without separate subwoofer. Thinking of spending a couple of hundred, can anyone provide some recommendations please.

The Sony 8500 might work, bit of a mixed bag though review-wise. Alternatively, what about a pair of speakers connected to the TV's headphone socket (assuming that it is so equipped)? Have a poke around on the Richer Sounds website, or Amazon.

Clem

Hmmm thanks, just had a look at the reviews, a bit mixed. Do I need to up my budget somewhat?

Possibly, but Black Friday is approaching...

Clem

Thanks @Clem_Dye I see that you've an old Yamaha, they do some 'decent looking ones', but how do they sound at low volume? Is it worth looking at 'fancy' Atmos ones? Ta.

My YSP4100 is old now, but still works a treat. Fingers crossed that it soldiers on! The drop-in replacement for me would be the YSP5600, but it’s a bit pricey. Fortunately, there are other options now, somewhat cheaper, but it depends on whether you’re happy with a stereo bar or want something that has a stab at Dolby Atmos, for example.

Clem

Cor @Clem_Dye the YSP5600 is a bit rich for me! I was looking at the cheaper Yammy's, and well actually a Q Acoustics M3. But wondered whether I needed (ie wanted) something that handled some of these new formats. Even though I don't know what they sound like! :D

A 5600 is a bit rich for me too, but the old adage “You get what you pay for” applies to sound bars too. If you have a finite budget, as we all do, it’s a case of seeing what your money will get you then flexing the plastic. I wouldn’t buy a soundbar without HDMI connectivity, and the ability to accept, if not process (fully) the newer audio codecs is also important. An all-in-one bar without the need for a sub is appealing though.

Clem

Thanks @Clem_Dye. The HDMI connectivity is the 'ARC connection'? I'm a bit worried about how well soundbars synch to the tv in general tbh. Last BF I bought a half-price Panny soundbar & sub from JL, but even though connected via ARC to our (7 year old) Panny lcd tv it didn't seem quite in synch. :( Maybe I'd wired it up wrong, but anyway the sub was huge and I just decided to send it back as it kept not quite switching on/off with the tv properly. Not a good experience. But I hoped that with a new tv/soundbar combo there shouldn't be any problems...

Yes, ARC — audio return channel. When using HDMI the TV can wake-up and power down the bar. Any devices connected to the bar via HDMI can route their picture to the TV.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom