No signal but for short period of time

Jodav100

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for help on behalf of an elderly lady I care for, she has had 2 professional aerial men out and can not fix this problem.

She has a panosonic tv bought November 2019 and a humax which has had for sometime. Firstly all channels went on freeview but re setting worked. This was about 2 months ago shortly after the last time said need to re tune.

Now it started pixalating which were advised was 5g mast interference, which a filter has been installed and this seems to have stopped.

However parallel with this the TV goes blank "no signal" but just corrects it's self no longer than 9 minutes.

This evening the Humax said no signal but the TV was fine.

Now watching TV (freeview) and does not want to check if Humax is working in case looses all TV this evening.

Arieal man says he has done all he can think of.

With it coming back on I am not sure what the problem can be.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Humax is connected via Hdmi could it be simple as a cable??

Thanks in advance

This evening the Humax said no signal but the TV was fine.
This is particularly odd as the signal path would normally be aerial > Humax > TV. So if the Humax had no signal then logically the TV wouldn't have either. This makes me wonder if instead of the signal path above, both devices are being fed with a splitter. Can you check?

The main aerial cable should go into the Humax & there should then be a short cable coming from the Humax to the TV. What model is the Humax?

This is particularly odd as the signal path would normally be aerial > Humax > TV. So if the Humax had no signal then logically the TV wouldn't have either. This makes me wonder if instead of the signal path above, both devices are being fed with a splitter. Can you check?

The main aerial cable should go into the Humax & there should then be a short cable coming from the Humax to the TV. What model is the Humax?

The TV man said that the humax is completely independent from the TV in regards to the aerial. I was there today and I only lightly touched the hdmi cable at the back of the humax and it went off. Could it really be as simple as this? If 2 professionals have been out.

Depends on how good these “Professionals” are.
In your first post you stated she's had two professional aerial men out then in your last post you mention a “TV man” so is that 3 or is one of the 2 aerial men a TV Repair man?
Try replacing the HDMI cable and keep it as far apart as possible from the aerial cable.
If that doesn't cure it report back with the model no of the Humax box?

Last edited:
So after this post, while doing dinner the humax went off picture attached. I completely unplugged the humax and took hdmi out of the humax (but left it plugged in to TV maybe should have taken out? Would this have any effect if not connected to anything? ). Anyway a few hours later a call to say the TV was pixalating which we thought had been fixed by the 5g filter. Have sent details to aerial man who said will come back on Wednesday. This lady suffers from anxiety so this is not helping.

Attachments

• IMG_20201019_174441.jpg
    IMG_20201019_174441.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 39
So after this post, while doing dinner the humax went off picture attached. I completely unplugged the humax and took hdmi out of the humax (but left it plugged in to TV maybe should have taken out?

Remove the Humax completely, unplug the aerial from it and plug it in to the TV and try it on it's own for a few days.

Not sure, this is what is being used PROception Distribution Amplifier VHF & UHF 2 Way 4dB Gain. Well this is what it looks like. The guy said the humax is independent. I don't want to mess anything up. R u suggesting to have one aerial from the wall to TV. There is 3 things plugged in.

Not sure, this is what is being used PROception Distribution Amplifier VHF & UHF 2 Way 4dB Gain.
That changes things & explains how the TV & Humax are separate. As the problem is intermittent & affecting both devices independently, that suggests to me that the amplifier is faulty. The other option is that both output cables have gone intermittently faulty at the same time. The chances of this are vanishingly small.

The other thing is you say this started happening after a retune. This makes me wonder if you're in range of two transmitters but locked on to the weaker one. Which may explain the pixelation. You're going to need a process of elimination.

Does the amplifier have it's power LED on? If yes, see if you can plug it into another mains socket, preferably directly & not into an extension or multi-way adapter.

If the problem persists, unplug the "In" cable from the amplifier & plug that directly into the TV. Then try a full retune of the TV, paying attention to any questions it asks about your location. No idea if this will work as we don't know why the amplifier was installed. Note this will take the Humax out of commission so any scheduled recording won't happen.

If it works, go back to the original configuration via the amplifier. If the fault reappears, we know it's the amplifier. You can then either replace the amplifier or try the standard configuration as I originally suggested. But you'll need a different lead for this to go from the Humax to the TV & will also likely need to change standby settings within the Humax so that it passes though the signal to the TV when it it's in standby.

If still no joy replace that cable with the one you disconnected, this time plugging it into the wall socket as well.

Back again. Another TV guy came out. He has hooked up the aerial on the roof and taken out all amplifiers just one splitter in loft to second TV in bedroom. So now goes wall, humax, TV. Worked all night call this morning no signal. I asked her to turn the humax on and it worked. TV man came out not sure what he did but has un connected the humax and suggests to see if TV works for a couple of days without going off. Then might need to buy a new humax. However if it works if the humax is on, why would you want to buy a new one? I don't think the humax should have to be on (not standby) for TV to get signal? I think there was an issue with aerial as second TV wasn't working this is now a separate issue. Or has the humax been the issue all along? Although I had un plugged it and TV still lost signal and was independently connected. So I can't see how. I set the humax to autostandy off a couple of weeks ago power saving mode off. This lady just wants to watch TV stress free. 🙏

will also likely need to change standby settings within the Humax so that it passes though the signal to the TV when it it's in standby.
It's a power saving thing. In order to achieve the lowest power use when in standby, the aerial pass through will be cut. There should be a setting in the Humax menu to change that.

With the previous setup the Humax & TV where being fed separately rather than being daisy-chained as now.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom