No signal contract rights

Bloodzeed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guy recently moved to a new area my gf hasn't been getting any phone signal for 8 months

Phoned Vodafone they just keep saying change the phone network settings that doesn't help
Apparently contract can't be cancelled so he said

6 months remaining

What can we do

Cheers

I did email head office 4 months ago but no real response.

Have to do something she keeps wanting to use my phone to make calls ,😂

Ask to make a complaint with Vodafone, or if you can find the email of the head of Vodafone a Email to them can work wonders

Last edited:
Have you tried the SIM in a different handset, or tried a different Vodaphone SIM to narrow down where the actual issue lies?

Yes new SIM card and different handset are useful tests. A previous poster complained they had no reception but their partner's handset was fine with their SIM card

Mobile plan contracts are normally worded to grant the user access to the network, rather than to guarantee the user reception.

The reality is that after your consumer 14 days distance cancellation rights has expired it is very difficult to escape a mobile phone contract without a financial penalty.

However all may not be lost,

Vodafone has, or did have, a network guarantee in their contracts that means you can cancel within 30 days, rather than 14 days. It could be problems started after 30 days expired. Vodafone may try to argue reasonable notice of this clause was given and it is not possible to restart the 30 days period

What may help is whether any rep gave advice about reception and you relied upon that advice to enter the contract.

Another point of attack could be if the contract has a "reasonable service" clause. If there is then force Vodafone to come measure the reception, maintaining physical distancing of course. It may also be relevant to cite the sale and supply of goods act and whether there is non performance of the contract. But we go back to the top, Vodafone may resist either kicks in if the reception problems are restricted to certain locations rather than blanket everywhere. If there was no reception everywhere that is more easier to show non performance by Vodafone

Have you tried the SIM in a different handset, or tried a different Vodaphone SIM to narrow down where the actual issue lies?

Hi

Checked the sim its fine it just in the new house she gets no signal We get into the car and drive a mile down the road and she gets signal but none in the house

Get them to send you the signal booster thing. Plugs into your wifi. They used to charge, but pretty sure they are free now. Also Wifi Calling if your phone is reasonably recent.

I agree with gagaga, it sounds like there might be a black spot where you are so see if they'll send her a signal booster to try. Hopefully you can get one for free just to get through the next six months then she can look at other networks when her contract ends.

wow only noticed i will check that out later Im with EE and on my phone it says wifi calling reason i must be the only one getting signal

not a strong signal tho Pixel 3

My gf has a iphone

it should do its a iphone 7 but its not anywhere on the iphone i might need to call them to get it activated ?
iPhone 7 supports the latest version of iOS so it should be there. She might need to update if she’s on an earlier iOS.

Settings>phone>WiFi calling
A09F8F11-32ED-4DCC-9B43-3568B1B24EDF.jpeg

sweet updated last night and network updated wifi calling is on nice one oh and
its virgin media not voda lol

Shes on a rolling 30 day contract but still paying for the phone and cant leave till December so they said

Are you saying this issue you’ve had for the last 8 months could have been solved by simply turning on Wi-Fi calling?:laugh:

seriously though, glad she’s got the ability to at least make phone calls again

Are you saying this issue you’ve had for the last 8 months could have been solved by simply turning on Wi-Fi calling?:laugh:

seriously though, glad she’s got the ability to at least make phone calls again

Haha Well not really it only went live 3 weeks ago on virgin media luckily 3.4 os update
I saw Wi-Fi calling on my phone last week and i didn't take much notice of it

@Bloodzeed glad a stop gap solution has been found. So you are with a different network with working signal in the new place?

@Bloodzeed glad a stop gap solution has been found. So you are with a different network with working signal in the new place?

Hi yeah we both have Wi-Fi calling on. Phone signal have one bar by the looks of it.
On my Phone EE i'm sure i was getting Signal before Wi-Fi calling was activated.
But my GF phone had none.

That's strange because internet says v mobile virtual network piggybacks on EE

very insightful person on v mobile forum said:
What Virgin don't have is access to EE 800Mhz signal which is particularly good for longer distances in remote locations.

This may be the problem here.

However 3G an 2G should be the same on both.
The very insightful person there seems to provide the answer affecting your partner

cheers looks that way Best getting EE on here phone next time round

We can get 1gbps internet speeds but poor phone signal lol

Try your postcode here: Ofcom

You need a local mast check as well: Vodafone and O2 share masts (CTIL) and EE and 3 share masts (MBNL). So if you have a poor signal with EE then ignore 3 and see if Vodafone/O2 offer a better signal in your area. VM are currently operating on the EE network, but were in the process of moving to Vodafone; that may change with the recent announcement of the O2/Virgin Media joint venture.

Depending upon the output/result of that check, there will be a few options to pursue.

Happy to assist if you need to terminate your contract early - two obvious (at least to me) angles would be frustration of contract (the operator is unable to provide a service at your home hence you cannot enjoy the benefit of the contract) and/or breach of contract (the lack of signal at home could be considered 'fundamental' to the purpose of having a phone contract; e.g. if there is a power cut you lose WIFI calling, what if you need to make an emergency call?). In these cases, offering a boost box doesn't really help, but might be acceptable if the signal with all operators is equally poor.

If you are on a 30 day rolling contact with Virgin you can leave that part of the contract with 30 days notice. They don't like it and will try to say that you can't, but I have 3 contacts with Virgin and all I am paying for now are the phones, not the Airtime.

Easiest way I found was to port the mobile number to another network and that cancelled the Airtime contact.

Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom