Question "No signal" displayed when GPU is set as primary output

CaptinCarmel

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just finished my build, everything was hooked up and looking picture perfect, I hit the power button, it shows the BIOS menu for 10 seconds then displays no signal. This is with the GPU inserted and set as the primary video output, however I am able to use the on board graphics without a problem, once i restart the computer and remove the GPU. With the on board graphics I can successfully enter BIOS and I have successfully installed Windows 10. (I'm actually using the computer as I type this) When i'm in BIOS and I enable on board graphics as the primary, restart and insert the GPU it wont display an image at all. But when the GPU IS inserted, for the 10 seconds that I am able to see anything, I can access the BIOS menu quickly and I can see that the PCl slot #1 recognizes the GPU. I have even tried removing the RAM and inserting in different slots I'm stumped now, as i bought the GPU towards the beginning of my build about 3 months ago, so i cant exchange it for a new one in case it is faulty. and I installed a EK water block so i'm pretty sure i voided the warranty. Need help cause i'm really close to saying f*** it and buying another one.

System

Open water cooling loop

Aorus Z390 Master

Intel i9 9900k

Zotac RTX 2080 Ti Amp

Corsair Vengeance 32gb 3200

Evga 1000 watt PSU

Quick checks first - are you on an old BIOS? If so, update to the latest. I'd reset your BIOS to default settings too, I've never had to mess around with anything to get my GPU to work, it should automatically prioritise it over onboard graphics if it detects one is installed.

If you have set the "on board" to out put the signal then the GPU will not work , you need to set the GPU as the main output ...

Quick checks first - are you on an old BIOS? If so, update to the latest. I'd reset your BIOS to default settings too, I've never had to mess around with anything to get my GPU to work, it should automatically prioritise it over onboard graphics if it detects one is installed.
Yeah Rich, thats the first thing that I did. and installed all relevant drivers for the MOBO., Now even though the MOBO can read that there is a GPU in the PClx16 slot would you suggest that it is a MOBO problem or the GPU is fried? Can it be fried and still show an image for a brief second?

If you have set the "on board" to out put the signal then the GPU will not work , you need to set the GPU as the main output ...
I kept it on "Auto", I only changed it to see if I could access BIOS while the GPU was inserted, but there was no signal. I also read this on MSI's website; "Connect the display cable directly to the motherboard, use the integrated CPU graphics to start up the PC. If the screen remains in black, that means the problem is with the motherboard not the graphics card."

I kept it on "Auto", I only changed it to see if I could access BIOS while the GPU was inserted, but there was no signal. I also read this on MSI's website; "Connect the display cable directly to the motherboard, use the integrated CPU graphics to start up the PC. If the screen remains in black, that means the problem is with the motherboard not the graphics card."

That's not necessarily the case as it could still be a GPU issue also why are you looking on MSI website when you have a Gigabyte motherboard and Zotac GPU ?

Have you tried the GPU in a different PCIe slot on the motherboard also just to confirm you are connecting the display cable to the output on the GPU and not on the motherboard ?

That's not necessarily the case as it could still be a GPU issue also why are you looking on MSI website when you have a Gigabyte motherboard and Zotac GPU ?

Have you tried the GPU in a different PCIe slot on the motherboard also just to confirm you are connecting the display cable to the output on the GPU and not on the motherboard ?
Good question, I am running out of articles and forums that pertain to my particular situation, this was one of them that popped up along my journey, holding no biases.

Not yet, I was hoping to troubleshoot it without having to, as i have PETG tubing and I'm dreading having to bend more. But unfortunately its looking like I have to.

Before you went with watercooling on your GPU, did you test it in the same system?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom