Question No sound on digital channels using DVD recorder & soundstage

macp

Standard Member
Evening all
Can anybody offer some advice please. I have a new Panasonic TX HDTV which is connected to a Yamaha soundstage and a Toshiba DVD/recorder. The RF aerial lead is connected direct into the DVDR and then out of the DVDR into the TV RF socket. There is also an HDMI lead from the DVDR to the TV. The Yam is connected by optical lead. So all is working well until I change to watching digital channels and then no sound. However if I take the aerial RF lead out of the DVDR and plug it direct into the TV, sound is perfect and coming through the Yam. So the problem seems to be with the connection in & out of the DVDR.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Sounds like possibly interference. If you remove the HDMI / Scart from the DVD recorder to the TV does the problem persist?

macp

Standard Member
Sounds like possibly interference. If you remove the HDMI / Scart from the DVD recorder to the TV does the problem persist?
Thanks for the reply its possible I may not have described my issue properly. Basically if I plug the aerial lead into the DVDR then there is no sound on digital channels (SD channels are fine) but if I plug the aerial into the TV I get sound in SD or digital channels. Obviously this means the DVDR wont work. Have tried connecting just an HDMI from the DVDR to the TV but no picture or sound from the DVDR ?

mikej

Were you using the DVD recorder with a previous TV without any similar problems and if so, how was this connected ? Scart ?

You might need to check both the audio and video output settings on the DVD recorder if you're moving from scart to HDMI.

macp

Standard Member
Hello Mike yes it was working on my old LG HD TV. I did have it connected via a scart lead yes.

Problem is how to check the settings on the DVDR when you cant get an on screen display.

Just a thought but does the DVDR need retuning ?

Last edited:

mikej

Hello Mike yes it was working on my old LG HD TV. I did have it connected via a scart lead yes.

Problem is how to check the settings on the DVDR when you cant get an on screen display.

Just a thought but does the DVDR need retuning ?
Do you have a TV in the house with a scart socket ? Alternatively, it might be worth checking the DVD recorder manual for some kind of reset function.

Re-tuning your DVDR won't fix the problem you're describing, but there have been a number of changes to Freeview over recent months/years, so it'll be worth doing once you've got your picture back to ensure you're picking up as many channels as you can.

macp

Standard Member
Im sorry guys but I seem to have resolved it. Embarrassingly I believe all I did was to connect the HDMI into a different socket.

I very much appreciate the help received and apologies for wasting your time.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom