NORD power amplifiers

Those look nice indeed, do you have a picture on how you have them setup now?
01515589-D3A4-418B-BA7C-9C9E60EF9377.jpeg

When you come from a nakamichi to these it’s unbelievable how something so much smaller sounds so good!
How good? :) how much better? :)

I guess i was lucky when i bought as they came up at the right time at right prices. The combination of these and the 8805 versus the nad and nak there isnt a lot of comparison, the nords are effortless. Nowt wrong with thenak on my part just dont see any reason to change these now ever.

edit..unless i can get the UP upgraded..
edit 2 if i was buying new id buy the best 3 channel for my fronts and the multi for the rest

Thinking out loud here... in preparation for pre/pro thinking of selling (actually its for sale here) the IOTA. Going for 2 amps from nord. 250w 5 channel amp to drive LCR+SS. Then 125w 6 channels for SB+x4 Atmos? speakers are in my sig but they are the KK Quattro + XTZ S2’s for atmos. hows the thinking? Power?

Forgot to add VAT when doing the sums! Doesn’t make sense. I will probably go 5 channel Emo or another IOTA. Ignore above!

Last edited:
Thinking out loud here... in preparation for pre/pro thinking of selling (actually its for sale here) the IOTA. Going for 2 amps from nord. 250w 5 channel amp to drive LCR+SS. Then 125w 6 channels for SB+x4 Atmos? speakers are in my sig but they are the KK Quattro + XTZ S2’s for atmos. hows the thinking? Power?

Forgot to add VAT when doing the sums! Doesn’t make sense. I will probably go 5 channel Emo or another IOTA. Ignore above!

If only going 11 channels mate, you may as well look at the 11 channel Emotiva.

90% of the power required is needed for the fronts, they have 3 full powered modules at 300w, the rest of the channels are blades.

I could easily hit references levels with this setup.

I’ve moved to 300w for my whole base layer now and using the blades for atmos (and soon to be wides), I’ve not noticed any difference at all.

If only going 11 channels mate, you may as well look at the 11 channel Emotiva.

90% of the power required is needed for the fronts, they have 3 full powered modules at 300w, the rest of the channels are blades.

I could easily hit references levels with this setup.

I’ve moved to 300w for my whole base layer now and using the blades for atmos (and soon to be wides), I’ve not noticed any difference at all.

Good suggestion. I might look into it. Although I don’t mind having two boxes for power amp so may look at the XPA-5 and keep the IOTA. Depends which way works out cheaper I guess

Selling the IOTA and getting the 11 channel will be cheaper.

IMO the blades on the xpa 11 are actually better than the main channels on the IOTA anyway.

If you can wait a bit, the last couple of years Nord have had a summer sale and a winter sale with 10% off. I have a 7 channel and 4 channel Nord driving all my speakers. They are the 250w versions and I don't notice any lack of power!
Do you know when their summer sale usually starts? I'm considering one or more of the Nord amps atm and would love the higher end ones (not the Nord One NC1200DM Signature! These do show 15% off but would still come in at ~£4K!!) but they are a bit out of reach price wise right now.

Thanks,

HB

Not that I want to add to your decision woes, there is talk that this week, they may drop VAT to 17.5% for approx one month.

Do you know when their summer sale usually starts? I'm considering one or more of the Nord amps atm and would love the higher end ones (not the Nord One NC1200DM Signature! These do show 15% off but would still come in at ~£4K!!) but they are a bit out of reach price wise right now.

Thanks,

HB

I've had a rummage through previous posts, and it looks like once in July and once in mid-August that I have noticed. Doesn't mean there will be an offer this year, but might be worth waiting a bit.

Thanks,

HB
the nc500up are not massively far away from the nc1200, and come up occasionally for 1-1.2k

I'm beginning to go down a bit of a rabbit hole looking at all of these amp options. :(

Initially I was thinking of adding a couple of Nord Three MkII 3 channel amps to my Yamaha RX-A3070 but am now thinking I'd be better off spending more on an AV processor (Yamaha CX-A5200?) and perhaps adding a a slightly lower spec multichannel Nord One. I'm thinking I'll gain more in SQ going this route opposed to adding slightly better power amps to my AV receiver?

My system is used for both music and movies (30/70). For reference I'm currently running a Lyngdorf SDA2400 class D power amp for my front speakers (MA Platinum PL200 IIs). I really like the sound of the Lyngdorf with the Platinums - powerful, effortless, smooth dynamic sound but haven't the room or money for lots more SDA2400s! Does anyone here have experience with both the Hypex amps and Lyngdorfs?

And after writing and reading back the above I'm thinking why change anything?!

Many thanks,

HB

Last edited:
I'm beginning to go down a bit of a rabbit hole looking at all of these amp options. :(

Initially I was thinking of adding a couple of Nord Three MkII 3 channel amps to my Yamaha RX-A3070 but am now thinking I'd be better off spending more on an AV processor (Yamaha CX-A5200?) and perhaps adding a a slightly lower spec multichannel Nord One. I'm thinking I'll gain more in SQ going this route opposed to adding slightly better power amps to my AV receiver?

My system is used for both music and movies (30/70). For reference I'm currently running a Lyngdorf TDA2400 class D power amp for my front speakers (MA Platinum PL200 IIs). I really like the sound of the Lyngdorf with the Platinums - powerful, effortless, smooth dynamic sound but haven't the room or money for lots more TDA 2400s! Does anyone here have experience with both the Hypex amps and Lyngdorfs?

Many thanks,

HB
I have the Lyngdorf MP50, Nord 3 channel and Platinum PL100's IIs and I am impressed with the combination - there doesn't seem to be any issues I am aware of - George

My system is used for both music and movies (30/70). For reference I'm currently running a Lyngdorf TDA2400 class D power amp for my front speakers (MA Platinum PL200 IIs). I really like the sound of the Lyngdorf with the Platinums - powerful, effortless, smooth dynamic sound but haven't the room or money for lots more TDA 2400s! Does anyone here have experience with both the Hypex amps and Lyngdorfs?

Many thanks,

HB

I know it's only basically a measurement site. But you can at least get a little bit of a flavour for Hypex amps/Nord amps and Lyngdorf on ASR

The Lyngdorf 3400 didn't measure very well no idea if the SDA/TDA2400 would be the same. I think I read somewhere they are considering purifi soon for their amps. Might be completely wrong. But that would be a step up to what they have now if it's true.

What is clear though is Purifi and Hypex all measure really well.

Slowly saving, but my next upgrade will deffo be Hypex in some form or other.

@markymiles
Many thanks. If the Hypex amps sound at least as good as the Lyngdorf I have then I will be more than happy!

I’m now torn between getting one single multi channel Hypex amp or a 2 channel Purifi and a Hypex multi for the surrounds. The Purifi measure slightly better (which I very much doubt I could hear) but wonder if the Purifi amps actually sound any different / better?

HB

The Lyngdorf 3400 didn't measure very well no idea if the SDA/TDA2400 would be the same. I think I read somewhere they are considering purifi soon for their amps. Might be completely wrong. But that would be a step up to what they have now if it's true.
I’m kinda “hazy” in the brain, especially as it’s friday evening & I’ve just enjoyed a Peroni after working in 30+ degrees all day, but I think the new Lyngdorf 8 channel amp uses the Purifi amp modules?
Anyhow, they appear to be the latest benchmark & look to be very nice amps :thumbsup:

I’m kinda “hazy” in the brain, especially as it’s friday evening & I’ve just enjoyed a Peroni after working in 30+ degrees all day, but I think the new Lyngdorf 8 channel amp uses the Purifi amp modules?
Anyhow, they appear to be the latest benchmark & look to be very nice amps :thumbsup:

Haha, I think mine is in a similar state. I knew I read it somewhere looks like the MXA-8400? 8 channels for £6995. Actually looks good value for a Lyngdorf product if you consider Nord or anyone elses prices for the purifi amps.

You'd be looking at £5,500 for 4 x Nord 1ET400A stereo amps to give 8 channels and it would take a lot more space in the rack too. Let me know when you've ordered it Mark and I'll come round for a listen. ;)

You'd be looking at £5,500 for 4 x Nord 1ET400A stereo amps to give 8 channels and it would take a lot more space in the rack too. Let me know when you've ordered it Mark and I'll come round for a listen. ;)

Haha, just a tiny bit rich for my blood. But yeah thats what I meant, you're not paying say double to have the lyngdorf name on it, so it's not too bad. No doubt there may be differences, but any amps using purifi are all going to have great specs.

As I run a rather unusual 6.2.2 set up an 8 channel will cover all my speakers. So my choices are very limited from Nord, if I want it all in one case so I've been looking at the NC252 amps.

Found a review here which pretty much echoed my thoughts:

MEASUREMENTS: Hypex nCore NC252MP Amplifier (+ Subjective opinions around objective testing, and CES2020), especially his closing comments about double blind testing.

Are the higher spec'd models just extravagant and the differences pretty much inaudible outside of expectation bias. If you need the extra power then yeah makes sense, but not convinced on anything else. I actually prefer the design of the all in one modules which don't allow all these manufacturers improvements/differences to come into play. Just need to decide if the 250 modules will be enough power. I have a relatively small room and roughly 93-94db sensitivity speakers all round so not convinced I need more than the 250.

But as I write this this morning I've stumbled across the custom configuration option where you can have 2 NC502's and 2 NC252's. That would appear to be just perfect and give the LCR and one other random speaker extra power. Total £2220, so an extra £300 over the 252 version. I think this is the one. Not quite got that yet, but saved about halfway so far plus I'll get a little bit for my Nakamichi, so hopefully won't be long.................

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom