November 2019 Winner- Musical Memories

jamescg1972

Established Member
Reaction score
“The end of the night”

Right, inspiration...

This photo is inspired by a few things - the name of doors song, The End of the Night for one. Not the lyrics of it which are a bit out of this world.

I wanted to capture the griminess of a musician staggering home after a heavy night playing the guitar and drinking.

The model (my eldest son, Ben) is a fairly talented guitarist (grade 6 level) and the guitar and case is his.

I took a similar (as in night time guitar drink combination) a couple of years ago (I’ll post it in the not on topic thread) and wanted to get a similar vibe. The photo is deliberately noisy and slightly unnatural in colouring, though I don’t think I did much playing with it).

In my mind, I also had the cover of the Sinatra album in the wee small hours, but wanted a dirtier image.

Hope you like it.

Photo follows in next post.

Last edited:
6ADF75BF-8350-4B2E-8F92-9987A1ACC59C.jpeg

Photo details in screen shot below.
A3EEB62E-92B9-43A1-9A99-C456D0D2EEBC.png

I like the idea and the processing, however I'm not 100% on the composition I'm afraid as I find the white gate/fence behind the musician draws my attention rather than the musician themselves. And I'll not mention the straightens ;)

It's a good photo though, has a great "mood" to it.

Fair point. I’d not really thought of that gate being distracting til you said that. Maybe I was too focussed on the foreground.

Think you may be right on the straightening too, I could say it’s meant to represent how you’d walk after the best part of a bottle of bourbon, but in reality I just pointed the camera. I thought I’d levelled it tbh with the in built level gauge on my camera. Wonder if the floor is wonky, or the telegraph pole. The lamp post in front of it looks pretty straight.

Thanks for the feedback. It’s nice to be told something you’ve done is good. 😊

Good entry but for me the shot needs a chunk cropped off the top :)

jim

Yes, I can see what you mean. I do have that album on vinyl, so maybe it had some influence on when I stopped playing around.

I love it, looks like the street where I grew up, brings back a lot of memories

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom