Now I've Seen It All

• Thread starter Deleted member 174041
  • Start date
Don't know what you mean?

What does 'henge' mean - or are you referring to Stonehenge - in which case I have absolutely no idea where that came from, nor its relevance.

Cheers,

Nigel

Sorry - autocorrect makes strange choices I don't always spot - fixed.

Poor analogy because

1. They are extreme clear cut cases
  2. The atrocities that they committed were unacceptable illegal at the time - they broke the law 100% clear cut
  3. I can't imagine that there are any statues, pubs, roads or building named after Hitler for the reasons above. For Saville, there might be as his crimes remained hidden for a long time. But I imagine any that were done have since been removed on the basis that the general overall consensus is that he was an evil criminal which outweighs any good that he did.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes I agree clear cut, and yet no straight answer, hence I disagree and think it causes some internal reflection. As soon as you agree that some things should be renamed, it then brings renaming anything into scope when viewed through a modern lens.

A good comparison I have found towards people wanting the Winston Churchill statue taken down due to him having Racist views, is a group of predominately white people wanting the statue of Nelson Mandela taken down due to the negative*
parts of his past

I also don’t believe using Adolf Hitler is a good comparison.

*i actually typed out ‘Dark’ instead of ‘negative’ initially. This is what I have become due to this ridiculously sensitive issue.

Take Churchill - the bad things he did were to have some opinions that don’t sit right in today’s ideology. Even then, they were just opinions, not actions
I wouldn't tear down his statue, he was a great wartime leader, but he certainly had extreme racial hierarchy views that didn't totally sit right with his own ministers, and has some degree of responsibility over the man made 1943 Bengal Famine, how much of a degree is up for debate. Much of this is swept under the carpet, why should it be?
Better would be The Beckhams. They have done a lot of good, but they have also made a lot of money from celebrity products that are made from the suffering and misery of people working under financial servitude in sweat shops.
His leaked emails of a few years ago reveal his motivation for those deeds was a knighthood, and his anger/jealousy over others who had received the gong when he did not. I was disappointed and have ignored any news about his supposed altruism/charity ever since. They're just doing what they think they have to in order to build brand Beckham. So no different to corporate charity for PR.

I wouldn't tear down his statue, he was a great wartime leader, but he certainly had extreme racial hierarchy views that didn't totally sit right with his own ministers, and has some degree of responsibility over the man made 1943 Bengal Famine, how much of a degree is up for debate. Much of this is swept under the carpet, why should it be?His leaked emails of a few years ago reveal his motivation for those deeds was a knighthood, and his anger/jealousy over others who had received the gong when he did not. I was disappointed and have ignored any news about his supposed altruism/charity ever since.

I did say admit in a part that you didn't quote that as a prominent statesman he was less entitled to voice his opinions.

As for the Bengal Famine, I can't say much about it. I had a very quick skim of the Wiki entry so I might have it totally right but it sounds like the 'denial' policies were well intentioned, meant to keep food from the Japanese forces occupying Burma. But it seems that greedy businesses took advantage which was what mostly led to the Bengal Famine. It is easy to judge now but I wonder at the time, at a time of war and so far from the UK how much the UK government were aware of what was happening. So I question how much Churchill was involved and even if he was how much he knew about the consequences.

Cheers,

Nigel

Regarding pub names. Their must be hundreds named Fox and Hounds, Dog and Duck, Dog and Gun, etc referring to hunting.

Now i dont support Fox hunting but I wouldn't not drink in a pub because it was named after one of the above.

Now i dont support Fox hunting but I wouldn't not drink in a pub because it was named after one of the above.
You'd love one of my locals - formerly The Northwood Hills, now Namaste Lounge, with a plaque commemorating young Reggie Dwight's first ever professional gig.

unnamed.jpg

Formerly known as John Robert Marshall.
Ahh, missed that bit. Tis a bloke then, off to the slammer with the other men. Preferably men who are very protective of kids.

Edit, the article purposely doesn't mention the sex change, or whether he went to a male or female prison. So presumably its the latter.

Love it!

Put up without permission so will be removed until it’s been officially decided what is going on there.

Much better.

They don't expect it to stay there, they have made their point and got the publicity.

I think they should just do away with the whole idea of having a statue there.

if a BLM statue were to be put up officially it would be vandalised and probably taken down.

Do they still have that statue of Michael Jackson outside Fulham's football stadium?

That has been removed.

I have an idea though, instead of the lefties and BLM ‘winning’ or the far right ‘winning’, pop the statue of Jackson on the plinth so that the only winner is comedy so we can stop all of this complete and utter nonsense.

EE9239B6-6494-41AB-8CF0-11DDD3391D27.jpeg

Maybe have a vote between the two and see which one people prefer to stand on the city's plinth.

Or just leave the plinth there.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom