NTL Stereo

Skid Solo

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a NTL Digital cable connection, and I am confused and I could do with some help, here is my dilemma :

When view a NTL channel via the RF connection my TV (Loewe Vitros) tells me that the signal is in mono, this includes BBC1, if however I switch to BBC1 via an aerial, I get a stereo signal notification on the TV. I have tried switching to the Scart connection I have but the TV does not display a signal type at all. I spoke to NTL who have told me that the signal I am getting via digital cable is stereo, but not Nicam.

So ;

Does the Stereo signal I am getting from NTL support PLII ?
Does PLII require just a stereo signal or does it need a Dolby surround signal, for instance from a VCR ?
How can I tell what signal I am getting from NTL. Is it stereo or mono. My TV does display the source but none of my other separates actually display what the source is, for instance if I select auto on my 3802 it switches to PLII ?
Does the TV display mono because the signal is not in Nicam ?
If I therefore watch a movie via Cable will the sound be the equivalent of a VCR, i.e. a stereo signal converted to PLII ?

Any help and or explanation would be appreciated

Does the Stereo signal I am getting from NTL support PLII ?

DPL2 is not supported.

Does PLII require just a stereo signal or does it need a Dolby surround signal, for instance from a VCR ?

AFAIA (and not too up on DPL2), you just need a 2x phono connection to carry the signal so it should work from either.

How can I tell what signal I am getting from NTL. Is it stereo or mono. My TV does display the source but none of my other separates actually display what the source is, for instance if I select auto on my 3802 it switches to PLII ?

You take their word for it.

Does the TV display mono because the signal is not in Nicam ?

Yes. This is the same with all the digital tv sources at this time.

If I therefore watch a movie via Cable will the sound be the equivalent of a VCR, i.e. a stereo signal converted to PLII ?

As i said, i don't know of any tv source that supports DPL2 at the moment. You will get mono, stereo or DPL depending on what is being broadcast at the time.

Originally posted by Skid Solo

When view a NTL channel via the RF connection my TV (Loewe Vitros) tells me that the signal is in mono, this includes BBC1, if however I switch to BBC1 via an aerial, I get a stereo signal notification on the TV. I have tried switching to the Scart connection I have but the TV does not display a signal type at all. I spoke to NTL who have told me that the signal I am getting via digital cable is stereo, but not Nicam.

View SKY digital/NTL digital through a TV with RF = MONO.

View them through a scart = stereo.

Should be watching picture through AV (RGB etc).

Audio fed to an amp.

The SONY TV i have displays NICAM STEREO when watching through aerial and STEREO is displayed when watching NTL DIGITAL via SCART. This depends on your TV. (some will, some won't display this).

As DOUBLEDOOM said you only need a stereo signal to your amp (PHONOS) to listen to DPL II, so if your amp is switching to DPL II you must be recieving a stereo signal from NTL, even though your TV is not displaying that information.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom