Nvidia Shield 2015 pro & Denon X3600 only receiving PCM audio.

Gary Rosso

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got my Denon X3600 but cannot get anything other than pcm audio to work.

My Sky HD box is working fine and the denon recognises Dolby 5.1 etc but no matter what settings I try the on the Shield the Denon won't change from PCM.

Tried Netflix, Amazon and YouTube on the shield and they are all just PCM on the Denon.

Anyone here have the same setup as me that has the denon 3600 with the audio working correctly from the Shield?

Tried all the different audio settings on the shield so don't know what's wrong.

My 4 year old Onkyo worked just fine with the shield.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

On the Shield you need to set the audio settings to bitstresm or passthrough, in both the global settings for the Shield and in the audio settings of the player / app that you are using to access the audio and video.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply however I cannot see a way to adjust the audio settings in the Netflix or Amazon video apps.

Not tried SPMC yet but do remember seeing the settings you mentioned In there so at least that should work.

Anybody getting Netflix or Amazon audio running correctly on the shield with the Denon? I'm sure you tube should also work for dolby audio as well.

Thanks

Just tested SPMC & KODI and all audio formats are being sent to my Denon correctly.

Just need to get Netflix etc to send the audio correctly as still just PCM.

Anyone got the same setup as me with everything working.

Cheers

Netflix only supports atmos on certain devices:

It the receiver is indicating that the audio is PCM is nature then that is what the source is outputting to the receiver. The AV receiver has no option to determine what the source sends to it and if getting PCM as oppsed to the source bitstreaming encoded formats then the source is at fault and isn't bitstreaming those formats.

Amazon and Netflix use DD+ to encode all their content. Atmos metadata can be packaged with DD+, but the Netflix app will not always fascilitate or allow the conveyance of Atmos from or in association with some source devices. Some devices will not fascilitate you getting Atmos via Netflix.

YouTube is limited to 2 channel PCM. Nothing on YouTube has multichannel audio despite many users uploading content and labelling it as being encoded with a surround sound multichannel format. YouTube downmix anything uploaded to them to just 2 channel PCM. It is a common misconception that YouTube host multichannel surround sound encoded videos.

Hi,

Thank for your reply but Netflix, Amazon and YouTube used to work fine on my old Onkyo amp.

YouTube does output 5.1 sound as The Shield media player I'm using is the only one that can as far as I know see link....

Going to be pretty p**sed off if there is no way of getting Netflix Amazon and YouTube to work on my new Denon 3600 as love the shield.

Again, the AV receiver doesn't determine what the source outputs and if receiving PCM then that is what the source is outputting to the receiver. You'd need to configure the source to bitstream the audio in order for it to send the formatted audio to the AV receiver.

Last edited:
Yes but there is no way of changing the audio settings to do this from the shield. SPMC & Kodi have the options you are talking about so I can get the correct audio formats to work from there.

Everything worked petfect on my older Onkyo amp so must be something different in the Denon if it's not decoding correctly from Netflix etc.

I just bought Nvidia Shield tv pro 2019 and can not get Netflix and Prime
Movies to get any audio except if its on PCM.
I need to chose “never use surround sound” option on the shield and then audio is on but PCM
I bought the Shield because I was hoping to get Atmos sound but I can not get even 5.1

I have onkyo rz730 with 5.2.4 speaker connection

Conection is Nvidia-receiver-TV
I do not know what HDMI cable I am using - what brand should I look for.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply however I cannot see a way to adjust the audio settings in the Netflix or Amazon video apps.

Not tried SPMC yet but do remember seeing the settings you mentioned In there so at least that should work.

Anybody getting Netflix or Amazon audio running correctly on the shield with the Denon? I'm sure you tube should also work for dolby audio as well.

Thanks
I am not getting the audio as well only on PCM

Has anyone managed to get the audio fixed?
I also just purchased the new shield tv pro and running directly to the Yamaha rxv685 AVR then onto the projector (i have no tv) all brand new Hdmi fibre from amp to projector and new hdmi 2.0 from shield to avr.
Youtube is pcm only as well as the plex media within the shield is also pcm.

Had a couple of Shields, never had any issues, not changed anything, checked all the settings, everything is normal.

DD5.1 and DD+ is fine. Anything higher and it's only outputting Linear PCM 2.0.

The Shield is connected to a Sony STRDN1080 AVR with a 5.1.2 Atmos surround system.
Shield and Kodi are set to bitstream and all formats are ticked on. Kodi is set to 7.1, although for some reason I thought it should be 2.0 or 2.1, regardless I've tried all 3 and nothing changes.

Been pulling my hair out all evening. Probably something stupid I've overlooked, I've pulled the power on it twice to see if that made a difference and left it for a while, no change.

TIA

EDIT - Went through every setting and option. If I had any hair left I'd have pulled it all out, set fire to the TV, Shield, AVR and house for good measure.

I wiped the shield and reset it. All works fine now after using the same settings I was using before. Who the **** knows.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom