NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Owners Thread

Also @bubblegum57 Plex will allow you to offload data to an external but if you have set it up as adopted you will only ever see one drive and shield will allocate the storage between the drives. This can be seen when you first set it up as it will offer to migrate the data to the adopted drive

I followed the wizard for adaptive storage, as shown in the pictures.

On my pc, I could only see the 12GB (16gb) internal.

then found info about registered storage. I disconnected & reconnected to internal.

Through windows explorer, I am checking the properties to see the size, it is taking ages, but I suspect now I have registered it, I will see the total storage.

Thanks for your advice

Edit, gave up waiting to read properties to see size of internal.

I'm going to have a play. It's not important, I just think 118gb is a lot of wasted space.

I can see 118gb (120) ssd through X-plore app

will try an ftp app later.

Last edited:
hi all

What are the recommended File Manager (free) apps to use on the Nvidia TV Shield please ?

thanks very much

I use X-Plore which works fine across USB and connected NAS via Ethernet.

ES File Manager File Explorer also very popular.

Last edited:
X-Plore

Hi All,

Can anyone here comment on using a new 2019 Nvidia Shield on a BUDGET 43-50" 4K TV?

I am looking to buy one with a cheap £300 TV (eg Hisense H43B7500UK) or philips ambilight - as a way of improving 4K picture quality from HD sources through the AI upscaling - without spending more on a decent TV (£800+) that already HAS good enough picture processing.

My main concern or query is if such a budget TV would constrain the performance of the SHIELD, eg motion judder etc - would this be improved.

Any feedback gratefully received!

hey shield peeps. I need help.

I want to use my 2019 Shield TV Pro as a Plex server.

I want to feed UHD Dolby Vision and True HD Dolby Atmos content via HDMI to my LG C9 55 and then the True HD Atmos audio from there on to my Samsung hw-q90r Atmos capable sound bar via Earc (which has recently been enabled by a recent firmware update.)

I have two problems:

Firstly, to supplement the tiny 16gb storage on the new Shield I need to add an additional storage device. After reading this article in Android Central. I was persuaded to buy their top pick a 5tb Seagate usb 3.0 external drive:

These are the best drives for expanding the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro's storage https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VS8QCXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Despite the recommendation, When I went to format the drive as internal storage the Shield told me that it was too slow.

Have I misunderstood the article? Is this type of HDD only to be used as an external, removable drive?

For the type of large files I want to play DV & Atmos would I be better off with a SSD of a smaller capacity, a Sandisk Extreme pro 256gb flash drive?

And crucially, should I be setting it up as internal fixed storage or as an external drive to best achieve what I want to achieve?

So confused, why did they take away the 500g internal storage option if it's so fussy?

2nd problem: The lip syncing from the Shield in this configuration is unbelievably bad. I unwatchable. Seems like seconds not milliseconds. This wasn't an issue with internal LG apps. Am I doing something wrong?

I want to route my sources direct to the LG not the sound bar because I want to take advantage of the VRR inherent in the HDMI 2.1 protocol as both the lG and the next gen consoles support this. If I feed to bar this will mess it up and not sure if the bar actually passes through Dolby Vision or not. Anyway, I thought EARC with its built in lip-sync feature was supposed to solve this and it all should just work? Basically, Is this going to be an unsolvable issue with my Plex content going forward too.

Happy to stick to internal apps for Netflix etc and just use the Shield as a plex server, but if that will suffer the same issues I'm heading for a bunch of pointless and expensive frustration.

Any help much appreciated.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Have I misunderstood the article? Is this type of HDD only to be used as an external, removable drive?
Hi mate
The end of the article is kind of a giveaway, but yes, to get consistent read write performance from the shield system then flash/ssd drives are typically more suitable than mechanical based ones. I would just format it as external, far easier this way when it comes to managing media, it will be fine for playing back UHD rips. Be warned though the shield will not play back UHD full mkvs with Dolby Vision whilst retaining True HD Atmos so you will have to settle for hdr10

To expand internal storage (mainly for apps) then I would personally use a usb stick, just make sure it usb 3.0 and has good read/write peeds.

Not sure what relevance VRR has with the shield as it doesn't support it. If you have lip sync issues then just plug it into the bar, the q90r can pass Dolby Vision so that wouldn't be an issue.

Hi mate
The end of the article is kind of a giveaway, but yes, to get consistent read write performance from the shield system then flash/ssd drives are typically more suitable than mechanical based ones. I would just format it as external, far easier this way when it comes to managing media, it will be fine for playing back UHD rips. Be warned though the shield will not play back UHD full mkvs with Dolby Vision whilst retaining True HD Atmos so you will have to settle for hdr10

To expand internal storage (mainly for apps) then I would personally use a usb stick, just make sure it usb 3.0 and has good read/write peeds.

Not sure what relevance VRR has with the shield as it doesn't support it. If you have lip sync issues then just plug it into the bar, the q90r can pass Dolby Vision so that wouldn't be an issue.

This is most useful, been reading a lot of contradicting advice. so in short. that seagate HDD won't be a bottleneck for playing high bitrate UHD files with atmos. But are you saying that the shield fullstops won't handle vision at all in any scenario?

the VRR was a separate thing to do with the reason why i'm routing my cables to the TV and not the sound bar and passing through. unless ive got that wrong too ;)

What harmony do you have mate? If it’s a smart based one (with hub) then you can use Bluetooth. Failing that HDMI-CEC works flawlessly with my Samsung one remote, so assuming the TV is a Samsung then you should be able to create an activity that way. I expect it is similar for LG,Sony etc... but unfortunately I cannot confirm

here's one: NVIDIA SHIELD TV PRO 4K Media Streaming Device - 16 GB (sorry meant to reply to a different poster.

hi, i want to buy the shield pro 2019 however its unavailable in all stores in the world, and covid-19 its not the reason as it was unavailable even before. reason i need the pro is because of the usb. i want to buy this device flirc.tv - Your TV - PC Remote Companion in order to use my logitech harmony with it. however im tired to wait and im thinking to get the base version. ill use it ONLY with netflix (atmos) and for locally streaming mkv's, so apart of usb's there are no other things i need from the pro version. AI upscaling is present on both. i dont need 3gb for gaming nor plex server. question for those owning base version if hdmi-cec works flawlessly. at least i can use logitech harmony anyway. and most important thing (maybe) if it can be turned on via hdmi-cec
here's one: NVIDIA SHIELD TV PRO 4K Media Streaming Device - 16 GB

This is most useful, been reading a lot of contradicting advice. so in short. that seagate HDD won't be a bottleneck for playing high bitrate UHD files with atmos. But are you saying that the shield fullstops won't handle vision at all in any scenario

No mate it will be fine formatted to external. It's better that way imo as it is far quicker to unplug, connect to PC,drag file over than attempt any network transfer.

The shield will handle single layer DV files. This is typically used by Netflix and and others. There is a method to rip and convert a uhd iso (which is dual layer hdr10 with DV on top) but it cannot be ripped to mkv, must be either MP4 and possibly ts file now. True HD is not supported when u do this so no lossless Atmos, on top of that I have read concerns that the conversion isn't truly authentic (although that may have changed by now). In short I think you are better just playing back in hdr10 with full Atmos and let the LG do its own tonemapping thing

ok that sounds good. one more thing, I want to torrent to the shield using an app like biglybt or whatever its called, assuming I can get it to direct the files onto the external drive? and will all just work. thanks for all the help.

ok that sounds good. one more thing, I want to torrent to the shield using an app like biglybt or whatever its called, assuming I can get it to direct the files onto the external drive? and will all just work. thanks for all the help.

probably best to use google for that one mate, not one for these boards

Shield Pro 2019's back in stock on the official nVidia site:

Got my order in.. I'd be quick if you want one! The buggers seems to be gone bloody quick!

Anyone here got both the Shield Pro 2019 and an ATV4k?

I just cannot make my mind up which I prefer, running on an LG OLED65GX.

Picture quality seems to better across the board on the ATV4K, but something keeps drawing me back to the shield and I don’t know what! Probably the extra flexibility it offers?

Picture quality seems to better across the board on the ATV4K, but something keeps drawing me back to the shield and I don’t know what! Probably the extra flexibility it offers?

I only have the older shield and the atv4k mate but I agree, if it wasn't for its versatility and lossless bitstreaming I would have probably sold my shield a long time ago.

I only have the older shield and the atv4k mate but I agree, if it wasn't for its versatility and lossless bitstreaming I would have probably sold my shield a long time ago.

Yeah the audio is a big win for the shield, for me however it isn’t so important. Never have it loud and only running through a Sonos Beam.

I might just unplug it, stick with the ATV4k and see how I get on. I though having Kodi available again would appeal to me, but it seems I don’t need that anymore either!

Searched all over for this shield as well, think I only “wanted” it because it was out of stock everywhere and I couldn’t get it, like some sort of sick game of cat and mouse to find one :facepalm::laugh:

Yeah the audio is a big win for the shield, for me however it isn’t so important. Never have it loud and only running through a Sonos Beam.

I might just unplug it, stick with the ATV4k and see how I get on. I though having Kodi available again would appeal to me, but it seems I don’t need that anymore either!

Searched all over for this shield as well, think I only “wanted” it because it was out of stock everywhere and I couldn’t get it, like some sort of sick game of cat and mouse to find one :facepalm::laugh:

Ha Ha, always the way, wanting something more just because you can't have it

With the 2019 the other main advantage is it's upscaling capabilities but if you predominately use it for 4k material then even this feature is kind of redundant.

On top of all that I am far too invested in iTunes movies so that makes me more unlikely to ever let the atv go

When using Kodi which skin or addon gives the best information/metadata about a video that's playing? I have just reinstalled and added Aeon Nox (Silvio) skin.

When using Kodi which skin or addon gives the best information/metadata about a video that's playing? I have just reinstalled and added Aeon Nox (Silvio) skin.
And additionally are there any considered "essential Kodi addons" (not illegal ones)?

It depends on how you want to use it and what you 'need'.. I have the ATV4K and Shield 2017, but bought the new remote for it as the old one packed up.

If you just need something to stream to from a Nas or Streaming services, audio isn't an issue and you won't utilise the versatility of the Shield, you'll be better off with the ATV4K.

In my case, I have two 8TB HDD's with most of my ripped media on and have them both plugged into the shield for use with Kodi.

I have SD/DVD/HD/Blu rips of my tv series and movies that are not available digitally at all, and the up scaling the 2017, my tv or a combination of both make them look great!

My tv is a Samsung, who make the sceens for LG's anway, and 4K HDR.
(Leah - Kodi v19 - is coming to the ATV4K too if needed/preferred to inFuse).

I also have far too many iTunes purchases to let the ATV go, and my 2017 will be retired to the bedroom when my 2019 arrives, so keeping all of them :)

Of course, if you ever get in a position where you're without the net for a week or so, or want to go on holiday and take something to watch in the evening with no net available, the ATV4K is just a paperweight.. Hook a hard drive up with some of your own ripped content on the shield and your set :)

As I said, just depends on your needs and what you want/plan on doing with it.

I just dropped 4 days ago an extra £50 to get one from eBay. I'm an idiot.

I always play the waiting game.. even so, it may appear on Amazon for £20-30 less some time, my preferred retailer for the returns if something goes wrong, even out of warranty. It's just sods bloody law!

I’ve got a scope (235:1) screen and use native 16:9 and projector zoom to fill screen with A 2.35:1 movie, what is the best skin that suits that arrangement for browsing movie wall etc whilst leaving projector zoomed?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom