Question Nvidia Shield TV/Pro? Opinions?

JonnyTester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my dad an android box for his birthday next week, basically to give him Smart services on his Panasonic lcd. When I was telling my wife about it she said to go ahead and order one for ourselves as well. But as we already have 2 tellies (tellys?) with Smart features, and a vastly overpowered HTPC (i7 6700K, 24gb ram) any android box would need to do a lot more than just offer Netflix, Youtube, simple gaming etc.

Enter stage left the Nvidia Shield TV/Pro. This is a 4K 60fps playback monster of an android box by all accounts. And its no slouch when it comes to gaming either. At the minute I could pick up the Pro version for £220 including a controller.

So any of you have one of these beasties, what's your opinion, yea or nay?

There's a big old thread on the shield - have a look through.

Only thing I would say is don't get the Pro - the Shield will get a bump to android 6.0 soonish which means if you add additional storage via SD or USB it acts as internal storage.

There's a big old thread on the shield - have a look through.

Only thing I would say is don't get the Pro - the Shield will get a bump to android 6.0 soonish which means if you add additional storage via SD or USB it acts as internal storage.

Thanks for your reply. I've gone ahead and ordered the 16gb model because a) the storage is flash nand based, instead of hybrid hdd on the Pro, and ii) I've read reports of damaged hdds on the pro.

Some are already saying that a usb device or sd card can be nominated as the default storage and with 128gb XDHC cards as low as £30 now, it means memory can be upgraded pretty cheaply, when required.

Thanks for your reply. I've gone ahead and ordered the 16gb model because a) the storage is flash nand based, instead of hybrid hdd on the Pro, and ii) I've read reports of damaged hdds on the pro.

Some are already saying that a usb device or sd card can be nominated as the default storage and with 128gb XDHC cards as low as £30 now, it means memory can be upgraded pretty cheaply, when required.
Yeah I have my 64 GB card as default storage location on my shield. Its a great device - I've just bought my second (not sure how to sneak it into the house without the wife noticing though...)

...not sure how to sneak it into the house without the wife noticing though...)
I hear that :D
But I got a pink slip for mine. It's my dad's birthday next week and he's been talking about getting a streaming device of some sort for ages now, so I was thinking of an android box as he's in his late 70's and not completely computer or gadget literate. So I was discussing this with my wife and she said to order one for myself as well. So I told her about the Shield, the price, everything. And she said that if that's what I want, to go ahead and get it. Maybe it's because we were in Lanzarote at the time, or we're getting new windows and doors in a few weeks, complete with stained glass in the front door, which she always wanted, since before we married. Whatever it was, I hope she has another dose of it soon
:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom