Oh my !!

teljess

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have been a carpenter for 25 years and recently moved north and started working for a loft conversion company. Whilst working here I have noticed that the owner off the company likes to skip corners.

20200109_172510.jpg

This is a soil pipe chased into a 9 " party wall needless to say that the brickwork is not supported above it.

What do you think ?

There are lots of examples of work that could show you but I still work there at the moment so I have to be careful

Nah, that's structural foam that is :devil::D

The thing is that is where the stairs are going and we had enough room to put a stud wall up and the pipework behind it but he didn't want to pay for the timber work to do it with 🤔

I have no idea about building as I can't even put up a shelf so I cannot possibly comment further.

We'd need to know what the soil pipe is made of before we leap to conclusions.

I'm no expert, but I'm guess it's not soil?

We know :thumbsup:

Putting my serious head on, horizontal chases should be a maximum depth of 1/6th of the wall thickness, as they're 100mm bricks then that's just 16mm :eek:

Should have used 15mm copper then :laugh:

It's hardly a "chase" - it looks like he's taken two whole rows of brick out of a structural wall! I'd be dropping an anonymous note to the Local Authority Building Control.

He has taken 2 rows out !!! They have had a independent building control round and he's ok with it 🤔 if I didn't need the job then I would inform local building control about all the other corners cut as well

Probably not that anonymous though...... Unfortunately :(

I'm NOT an expert.
NOT much of a DIYer if truth be told.
BUT, surely you can't replace a row of bricks with a plastic pipe. Could that not bring the roof down?

He has taken 2 rows out !!! They have had a independent building control round and he's ok with it 🤔 if I didn't need the job then I would inform local building control about all the other corners cut as well

How can you have an "independent" BC officer? I thought it was mandatory for the LABC to be involved with all structural building works?

How can you have an "independent" BC officer? I thought it was mandatory for the LABC to be involved with all structural building works?
You can use the local authority one but now they will be separate companies and charge just like an independent it is up to you which you use but they are liable if they sign something off knowingly not compliant.

not his mate is it ......

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom