OLED Price Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you can price match online or instore straight away, so you will get it for £3000 price match and then trade in for £250 back.

You also get 30 days to submit further price matches, so if you do buy it worth keeping an eye out for further reductions (or atleast thats how it worked last time I bought from them).

Ah, so they give you a one off price match voucher to use against the purchase price online? And you can stack that with additional vouchers such as the £250 trade-in offer?

When you do it online they will tell you what to do, to get the price match straight away. You don't use vouchers or anything. Although you may have to enter a code for the trade in. Once they deliver they will pick up your TV at the same time. You just enter the code when you pay and I think they will do the price reduction then.

Great, think I'll give it a go! An extra £250+ towards my planned AV Receiver upgrade will be a better use of budget than a couple of extra ARM CPU cores for an integrated Smart TV interface that will probably see little to no use due to an Nvidia Shield TV purchase in the near future.

John Lewis now offering £250 trade in on the 970 65-inch LG Oled and the 930. 970 now £2750 with trade in and price match with RGB Direct. 930 price match with RGB Direct £1250 roughly after trade in.

The 930 is £1609 with £100 trade in and £1389 at RGB Direct, so £1289 not £1250 after PM.

Last edited:
JL have rejected the price match request citing the following:

Thank you for your enquiry.

In order to apply a price reduction on a purchase, the criteria in our pricing policy must be met. I regret that after review the request you have submitted does not match all or parts of this policy.

To match a price request, the competitor must trade on the same basis as us, for example we will not match online only retailers, mail order only or showrooms attached to internet-only orders. We also take service conditions into account. This means we compare how we sell the product to how it is sold by the competitor to ensure it's comparable.

RGB Direct advise in their terms and conditions:

'The customer is responsible for returning any goods at their own expense. Damaged or faulty goods on arrival are excluded from this.

'Please note that if you cancel an order, which has been processed and dispatched, you will be refunded the value of the goods less the return costs. However if you have received the goods and still wish to cancel or return, then please see collections.

'Please note that there is no fixed charge for collections as this is very much dependant on size, distance and type of the goods. Please call customer services on 0208 478 1444 for a collection quote. Alternatively you may choose your own form of insured return at your own cost.'

This unfortunately means that they are not offering the same service conditions as John Lewis.

Therefore, I regret that we can no longer match the prices offered by RGB Direct. If you would like to view more information about Never Knowingly Undersold and our pricing you can do so on our website.

I am sorry I have not been able to reduce the price on this occasion. If you require any further information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Lyndsey
John Lewis.com

They rejected a PM I did on a 930 at RS because:

In order to apply a price reduction on a purchase, the criteria in our pricing policy must be met. I regret that after review the request you have submitted does not match all or parts of this policy.

John Lewis will validate a price match if the competitor's product is identical to the product we sell in terms of make, model number, colour and size. This approach ensures consistency for all our customers and ensures the policy is transparent.

As we are offering this with 2 X 3d glasses this is not a like for like policy.

Therefore, on this occasion I am sorry I cannot match the price offered by Richer Sounds If you would like to view more information about Never Knowingly Undersold and our pricing you can do so on our website.

I am sorry I have not been able to reduce the price on this occasion. If you require any further information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Emma

JohnLewis.com

I replied saying that the RS listing does include the glasses, and to be fair they have now agreed the PM.

They just refused a PM for a 970 at PRC Direct:

To match a price request, the competitor must trade on the same basis as us. We also take service conditions into account. This means we compare how we sell the product to how it is sold by the competitor to ensure it's comparable. We particularly look at stock availability, delivery charges and fitting/installation services.

In PRC Direct's terms and conditions, they advise on their website:

'Please note once a delivery is booked it cannot be changed. Any cancellation, failed or refused delivery will incur a re-delivery charge.'

This unfortunately means that PRC Direct do not offer comparable service conditions to John Lewis, as we allow customers to cancel and rebook deliveries free of charge.

Therefore, on this occasion I regret that I cannot match the price offered by PRC Direct. If you would like to view more information about Never Knowingly Undersold and our pricing you can do so on our website.

Yours sincerely,

Alan
JohnLewis.com

I think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel with that one!

Last edited:
Just resubmit the PM, its dealt with by differing people so depends to a large extent on the individual which is why it's completely random on success or not.

Its typical of them. Seem to make it up as they go along. I've seen on deals sites where most people have had no issue with them matching a price, then for a couple they pull out excuses like this. And I'm talking about exactly the same price match, with the same retailer, within days of each other :/

Give it a few more tries if I were you. Try a different retailer if you can find one selling it at the same price. Or another JL store if you have more then one local. Also try in store if you have a JL nearby.

I submitted another PM claim, this time against my nearest RGB showroom / store which would negate JL's argument that their terms of return for online goods aren't identical as taking it back to the store is free.

I submitted another PM claim, this time against my nearest RGB showroom / store which would negate JL's argument that their terms of return for online goods aren't identical as taking it back to the store is free.
That's a joke. I would just keep trying or try to do the price match in store.

That's a joke. I would just keep trying or try to do the price match in store.
Back up to £3599.99 on RGB Direct.

I'll give it a go but I'm not hopeful as when I put in the business name it wouldn't let me proceeed, saying they won't compete with an online only business. I had to go through the Shop option and enter one of their showroom addresses.

Edit: Bombarded JL with a bunch of PM requests from different retailers at 2999. Let's see what happens!

Last edited:
They rejected a PM I did on a 930 at RS because:

I replied saying that the RS listing does include the glasses, and to be fair they have now agreed the PM.
what price stu?

Back up to £3599.99 on RGB Direct.

I'll give it a go but I'm not hopeful as when I put in the business name it wouldn't let me proceeed, saying they won't compete with an online only business. I had to go through the Shop option and enter one of their showroom addresses.

Edit: Bombarded JL with a bunch of PM requests from different retailers at 2999. Let's see what happens!

I thought there were two different options with a JL PM, one against a store and one against an online purchase?

I thought there were two different options with a JL PM, one against a store and one against an online purchase?
Yep, they blacklist a number of online shop names if you select the online website option. You have to select the shop option and enter the address of a bricks and mortar store.

Update: Attempted a number of PM requests with JL - All rejected for one reason or another, usually something to do with free returns or ability to change delivery once booked. I get the feeling they'll only PM when it suits them, which is their prerogative although expecting customers waste time without knowing when and with whom they'll PM is mildly annoying.

Since we're so close to the new year I might just wait for the inevitable sales. Who knows, the 65EF950V might come down in price and I'll be able to get one of those new fangled flat televisions for a reasonable price.

Update: Attempted a number of PM requests with JL - All rejected for one reason or another, usually something to do with free returns or ability to change delivery once booked. I get the feeling they'll only PM when it suits them, which is their prerogative although expecting customers waste time without knowing when and with whom they'll PM is mildly annoying.

Since we're so close to the new year I might just wait for the inevitable sales. Who knows, the 65EF950V might come down in price and I'll be able to get one of those new fangled flat televisions for a reasonable price.
Yep, you might as well wait. Costco seems the best deal otherwise.

I get the feeling they'll only PM when it suits them, which is their prerogative although expecting customers waste time without knowing when and with whom they'll PM is mildly annoying.

I think its more then annoying. They also trumpet the retrospective price match. So as an extreme example you could quite easily buy on the basis that someone else has got a PM and then find they won't do the same for you.

While in general I think their customer service is very good, the PM is a joke. They nit pick beyond reason IMO and it makes a mockery of the big headline "Never knowingly undersold" they trumpet. If the likes of Currys did this people would be up in arms, JL just have a lot of goodwill (for good reason) so they get away with it :/

I can see how it might stick in the craw a bit in the example you gave, although I've quickly come to the conclusion that PM should be treated with an attitude similar to cash back. Eg. Nice if you can get it, but don't expect nor count on it.

It's a spoiler tactic IMO and affects true competition. If they are never knowingly undersold, why don't they change their prices after the first price match? They do sometimes, at other times they don't. If you're going to go through terms in this way, you'll generally find a get out one way or another :/

Whilst I agree as a consumer you should treat their price match in a similar way to cashback, my test on these things is to imagine the scenario where everyone started to behave in this way. It would stagnate true competition and generally make life difficult for the consumer.

It's similar to the charges budget airlines used to employ, where there was a surcharge unless you used an obscure card type for payment. People argue whats the problem, just play the game. But again imagine if every airline/retailer started to employ those tactics to get headline prices down.

As if on cue, JL have accepted a PM for 2999 on the 65EC970V from Direct TVs (Appliances Direct). It's almost as though they monitor these threads. *slowly begins pulling tin foil from roll*

The only issue is that they've said they'll refund the difference after purchase, which would be £750 as the trade-in discount is applied at checkout with a £250 voucher, making the initial purchase price £3749. At least that's how I think it works, I'll check with them before purchase. Otherwise it would be better not to use the voucher and sell the old TV separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom