OLED Price Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
very impressed with amazon video love the way you can choose between match commentary, studio or the crowd.

Someone over on HUKD posted Costco Thurrock have the TX-55GZ950B @ £1140. It's not online.

Interesting, no date hard to believe right now as it's a price match. No where else has it that cheap.

Interesting, no date hard to believe right now as it's a price match. No where else has it that cheap.

I believe he/she got RS to price match and has posted an image of the invoice.

Think its probably true, but any member can call Thurrock to check (or their local warehouse, who will check local stock and pricing).

Help! Outrageous treatment from Curry’s. I called through to ask if they’d price-match PRCDirect and RGB Direct £1700 Black Friday offer for the 65” C9. They agreed last Sunday. Called to ask when and how I’d be refunded the £200 difference. They said the price promise had been ‘authorised’ and would be returned to the gift card i paid with in 3-5 days. I called back to chase today (6 days later) and was told ‘finance department’ cancelled the refund and didn’t leave a note on the system. It beggars belief! Does anybody have advice or going through the same thing with Currys? Tough to swallow as it’s literally going to put me £200 out of pocket let alone the 2 hours plus I’ve been on hold on the phone.

Help! Outrageous treatment from Curry’s. I called through to ask if they’d price-match PRCDirect and RGB Direct £1700 Black Friday offer for the 65” C9. They agreed last Sunday. Called to ask when and how I’d be refunded the £200 difference. They said the price promise had been ‘authorised’ and would be returned to the gift card i paid with in 3-5 days. I called back to chase today (6 days later) and was told ‘finance department’ cancelled the refund and didn’t leave a note on the system. It beggars belief! Does anybody have advice or going through the same thing with Currys? Tough to swallow as it’s literally going to put me £200 out of pocket let alone the 2 hours plus I’ve been on hold on the phone.

Did you pay for everything with gift card? If so you'll have to chase them unfortunately or consider small claims as a last resort. Find their CEO's email here:

I find it saves a lot of time, as most company's CS lines are setup to filter out complaints through attrition :(

On the other hand, if you paid at least £100 by CC (always a good idea), you can take it up with your Card Company under the Consumer Credit Act section 75. They are jointly and severally liable for any purchase where you pay atleast £100 with the card (even if the balance is paid by other means).

Did you pay for everything with gift card? If so you'll have to chase them unfortunately or consider small claims as a last resort. Find their CEO's email here:

I find it saves a lot of time, as most company's CS lines are setup to filter out complaints through attrition :(

On the other hand, if you paid at least £100 by CC (always a good idea), you can take it up with your Card Company under the Consumer Credit Act section 75. They are jointly and severally liable for any purchase where you pay atleast £100 with the card (even if the balance is paid by other means).
Yes, I got a 7% discount on the gift cards, so that took the price down further. I had thought my hard work trying to get the TV into a more affordable bracket had all paid off when the price promise refund was agreed and authorised by what I thought was a big reputable company. Didn’t see this coming at all. Customer Services padding the buck to a Finance department I can’t even call. Hard to believe this sort of thing happens. I guess I need advice from small claims - like you say. Wrong to let them get away with it by hiding behind hours of calls put on on-hold and buck-passing CS people.

Yes, I got a 7% discount on the gift cards, so that took the price down further. I had thought my hard work trying to get the TV into a more affordable bracket had all paid off when the price promise refund was agreed and authorised by what I thought was a big reputable company. Didn’t see this coming at all. Customer Services padding the buck to a Finance department I can’t even call. Hard to believe this sort of thing happens. I guess I need advice from small claims - like you say. Wrong to let them get away with it by hiding behind hours of calls put on on-hold and buck-passing CS people.

Figured that's why you used gift cards. My wife works for the NHS, so she also gets a discount on them. For future reference make sure you pay £100 by credit card and the rest with gift card. Then you still get CCA protection on the whole purchase.

Email their CEO. Usually it does the trick.

Good luck.

Figured that's why you used gift cards. My wife works for the NHS, so she also gets a discount on them. For future reference make sure you pay £100 by credit card and the rest with gift card. Then you still get CCA protection on the whole purchase.

Good luck.
Great tip on CCA protection. I’ll try the CEO, I have it in my mind he’s just going to press delete when he sees it in his mailbox on Monday morning, but worth a try. Just had a look at Currys reviews on Trustpilot and there are a lots of complaints about Currys withholding price promise, but nothing about agreeing and then reneging at will.
Thanks for the steer, it’s appreciated!

I'm in, I phoned Germanys biggest elec retailer last year and the moment I told them I was British she slammed the phone down on me, but seriously great idea if we could rustle up the troops to commit.
I too am curious about the price of the 77C9 in Europe and where to buy from.

At least you should get an EU wide warranty (so long as we remain in the EU - which looks to be only till the end of 2020) if you buy from Germany.

Great tip on CCA protection. I’ll try the CEO, I have it in my mind he’s just going to press delete when he sees it in his mailbox on Monday morning, but worth a try. Just had a look at Currys reviews on Trustpilot and there are a lots of complaints about Currys withholding price promise, but nothing about agreeing and then reneging at will.
Thanks for the steer, it’s appreciated!

NP.

Most big companies have a directors department who deal with emails directly to him/her. I've emailed Curry's in the past and did get a satisfactory resolution. Unfortunately the normal customer service channel is setup to be a war of attrition. They hope most people will give up. Whereas emailing the CEO gets you right to the end of the process, avoiding most of the time wasting.

Good luck.

This is good advice and actually what I'm doing when I go in to buy my C9 tomorrow. Although it was my understanding that it has to be over £100 so at least £100.01. I was planning on putting £150 down and the rest on employee vouchers.

Also does anyone know if Quidco still goes through if you've purchased with those employee vouchers?

This is good advice and actually what I'm doing when I go in to buy my C9 tomorrow. Although it was my understanding that it has to be over £100 so at least £100.01. I was planning on putting £150 down and the rest on employee vouchers.

Perhaps best to pay £101 on the CC just to be sure :D

I've read conflicting advice, which is typical these days. Too lazy to read through CCA and relevant case law to be sure, so just play it safe.

For example Which suggest it doesn't even need to be £100, the cost of the item needs to be over £100 and you just need to pay some part of it on CC:

Also does anyone know if Quidco still goes through if you've purchased with those employee vouchers?
No, there’s no cash back from TCB or Quidco if you pay with vouchers/gift card. It’s one or the other. Did my homework on that front. You should be able to get 1% cash back through the employee scheme you got the vouchers through though.

Quick question, E8 or C9? Had a good look at C9, GZ950 and AG8 in RS today and thought the C9 was best. My viewing will be through Sky Q, Netflix, Prime watching movies, general tv and sport.

Get whichever you think is the best, if you don’t need hdmi 2.1 your choices aren’t limited.. most would say gz950 if you don’t game and want the best / most accurate picture, but if you prefer the C9 fill your boots, let your eyes pick for you, non will be a ‘bad’ choice...

Last edited:
Received my 55E9 from Crampton & Moore today.

The call with Sky took less than two minutes which is amazing, I was paying £45 a month for my Sky Q multi-room package and now I'm paying nothing for 18 months. By my maths that's a £810 saving (less a £10 Sky admin fee) meaning the TV cost me £599!

Doesn’t that mean you paid £1409 for a 55E9 ?

Philips 65 Inch OLED 4K Ultra HD Smart Ambilight TV £1919.98 @ Costco

Was 1689 on BF but went up to 2199 now dropped

Attachments

• 810E5B97-A7C9-4337-9523-ECCFDDB7EE10.jpeg
    810E5B97-A7C9-4337-9523-ECCFDDB7EE10.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 65
I paid £1399 for it - on 18 month 0% finance, and then am saving £800 from my Sky bill for the next 18 months at the same time.

If you're mid contract then fair enough. If not then I think that £800 saving is over estimated.

As an example I pay £39 for their full package (excl Netflix) plus UHD. My parents pay similar. And there was a BF deal on last month with 50% off, so no negotiation needed for those prices.

I manage both mine and my parents accounts. And over the last 15 years, we have managed atleast 50% discount. And on some years a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom