OLED Price Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
just the processer I think.
I think you are right, image processing via the processor. Looking Rtings.com they appear very near identical with the exception of the out of the box image. For the extra £100 though I might as well go for the C9. I will just wait for the price to drop now, the prices at the minute are too expensive when you think that the new models will be released soon.

Richer Sounds in Preston just offered me an Online Clearance C9 for £1200. I asked what this was and they said it’s an online return unit that someone has sent back for being too big etc and usually in mint condition. They usually come with a 12 month warranty but he offered a 6 year cover, free delivery and 2 week trial. I decided to pass as I want one that is unopened etc but if anyone else wants it call up and speak with Howie.

Personally I would never purchase something this expensive on eBay.

im on the unit for a good price C9, or maybe a B9 if the price is low enough. What is the major difference between the two models, can anyone advice?
I've been agonising over this decision as well, so here's a summary of what I have found:

- Physically, the stand is different (and metal vs plastic), with the C9's curved frontage allegedly helping to disperse the sound better, although reviewers didn't notice it. Also, the stand juts out a lot more at the back than the B9 (I don't like this), but has better cabe management as a result.

- Technically, it has a better processor which comes with 3GB of RAM over the 2GB in the B9. The operating system should be a touch quicker, and software updates will be more frequent.

- Picture quality wise, exactly the same panel of course but but the C9 can get a bit brighter. In dark scenes with macro blocking (poor quality video), the weaker processor is less capable of smoothing it out, and so reduces the gamma to compensate. This means there is a little bit of black crush.

So the C9 has some picture enhancements that are subtly noticeable if you have a keen eye. However, I'm actually less of a fan of the C9's physical qualities. The huge box at the back of the TV is annoying as I want mine up against the wall as much as I can without wall mounting it. The wide front part of the stand is also annoying as it leaves less room for things to slot in underneath the TV.

Add to that the price difference, and it's a tricky decision but I feel that the B9 when it hits £999 is the better buy.

I've been agonising over this decision as well, so here's a summary of what I have found:

- Physically, the stand is different (and metal vs plastic), with the C9's curved frontage allegedly helping to disperse the sound better, although reviewers didn't notice it. Also, the stand juts out a lot more at the back than the B9 (I don't like this), but has better cabe management as a result.

- Technically, it has a better processor which comes with 3GB of RAM over the 2GB in the B9. The operating system should be a touch quicker, and software updates will be more frequent.

- Picture quality wise, exactly the same panel of course but but the C9 can get a bit brighter. In dark scenes with macro blocking (poor quality video), the weaker processor is less capable of smoothing it out, and so reduces the gamma to compensate. This means there is a little bit of black crush.

So the C9 has some picture enhancements that are subtly noticeable if you have a keen eye. However, I'm actually less of a fan of the C9's physical qualities. The huge box at the back of the TV is annoying as I want mine up against the wall as much as I can without wall mounting it. The wide front part of the stand is also annoying as it leaves less room for things to slot in underneath the TV.

Add to that the price difference, and it's a tricky decision but I feel that the B9 when it hits £999 is the better buy.
Thanks for that summary, it’s really useful. I think for me the extra brightness might tip it towards the C9 for me, plus the out of the box settings.

Richer Sounds in Preston just offered me an Online Clearance C9 for £1200. I asked what this was and they said it’s an online return unit that someone has sent back for being too big etc and usually in mint condition. They usually come with a 12 month warranty but he offered a 6 year cover, free delivery and 2 week trial. I decided to pass as I want one that is unopened etc but if anyone else wants it call up and speak with Howie.

I’d have snapped his hand off. Preston is too far away from me unfortunately

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
LG 55B9 1099 at hughes.co.uk when you use code FLASHSALE200. Doesn’t work on the C9 though unfortunately.

Attachments

• 3BE22DA5-961D-45AD-BAF4-14A00FBD56F5.png
    3BE22DA5-961D-45AD-BAF4-14A00FBD56F5.png
    373.1 KB · Views: 27
A £1099 price war heating up as we go into Sunday!

Also, earlier today the Philips 804 was £1099 at Currys and it looks like Richer Sounds have price-matched this tonight: Philips 55OLED804

Makes the £1249 I paid for the 55"C9 from RS with 6 year warranty ,and the Sky Q discount offer seem like a bit of a bargain right now

whats the going rate for a 65'' C9?

thinking of grabbing one for the lounge.
is the B9 worth it over the C9 for the price difference?

Makes the £1249 I paid for the 55"C9 from RS with 6 year warranty ,and the Sky Q discount offer seem like a bit of a bargain right now

I’d snap their hand off ifi could get it for that price now. When was that if you don’t mind me asking?

I think the going rate is about £2000 for the 65 C9.

c9 65 was £1799 last weekend, should drop to that again in the next couple of weeks.

Paid £1095 for 55GZ950 bf weekend pricematched PRCdirect with John Lewis so it shows these retailers can do better,currently £1495 in JL which seems crazy.

I’d snap their hand off ifi could get it for that price now. When was that if you don’t mind me asking?

I think the going rate is about £2000 for the 65 C9.
I bought mine on Cyber Monday , I believe that's what the young ones call it :laugh::laugh:

Costco Thurrock Store had these yesterday:

1. LG 65C9 - £1860 approx
2. Sony 65AG8 - £2000 approx
3. Philips 65834 - £1650 approx
4. Panasonic 55GZ950 (ex-display) - £799

Costco Thurrock Store had these yesterday:

1. LG 65C9 - £1860 approx
2. Sony 65AG8 - £2000 approx
3. Philips 65834 - £1650 approx
4. Panasonic 55GZ950 (ex-display) - £799
Did you happen to notice if they had the 55C9 and how much it was?

Did you happen to notice if they had the 55C9 and how much it was?

Nope. Think they had 55AG8. Don't remember seeing 55C9 I am afraid.

Definitely settled on a 55B9.

Now just a case of waiting for a £999 to come back around somewhere and get a price match.

It’s crazy how prices change daily!

£1049 with THT Direct. You've probably got about 15mins before they change it again :laugh:

FYI the 65" is currently £1599

£1049 with THT Direct. You've probably got about 15mins before they change it again :laugh:

FYI the 65" is currently £1599
The C9 is 1249 also, that’s a great price! I don’t know that site though so I am going to see if they can price match at Richer Sounds.

The C9 is 1249 also, that’s a great price! I don’t know that site though so I am going to see if they can price match at Richer Sounds.

JL and RS will price match THT - you just have to be quick as THT have a habit of changing their prices in-day, in an apparent attempt to thwart price matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom