OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Now that F1 season started I'm wondering how safe it is to watch with LG C9 and should any precautions besides lowering oled-light be done? I have bad experience with that bright white F1 logo on the lower left corner they keep sending every year with my previous plasma televisions. Has anyone watched the whole season on their oled and then carefully checked with different solid color test patterns whether there is any sign on that logo present?

Now that F1 season started I'm wondering how safe it is to watch with LG C9 and should any precautions besides lowering oled-light be done? I have bad experience with that bright white F1 logo on the lower left corner they keep sending every year with my previous plasma televisions. Has anyone watched the whole season on their oled and then carefully checked with different solid color test patterns whether there is any sign on that logo present?
I watched on my EF950v for 4 years. No problems either.

Thanks for comments. Do you see any, even temporary retention from the logo with test patterns or does it stay absolutely clear in that area even right after watching F1 broadcasts?

Thanks for comments. Do you see any, even temporary retention from the logo with test patterns or does it stay absolutely clear in that area even right after watching F1 broadcasts?
I never saw any retention on my EF950v, I mainly watched in UHD. Today there was none on my C9 and I also did occasionally notice the auto-dimming protection which didn't spoil my viewing.

Nothing to worry about at all pal ,been watching f1 on oleds for 5 years and never had any sign on image retention.
You wont need to adjust oled light as logo luminace dimming will dim the whole screen as there are so any on screen static boxes .
I may disable logo luminace when watching f1 as maybe be too dull with it enabled

Nothing to worry about at all pal ,been watching f1 on oleds for 5 years and never had any sign on image retention.
You wont need to adjust oled light as logo luminace dimming will dim the whole screen as there are so any on screen static boxes .
I may disable logo luminace when watching f1 as maybe be too dull with it enabled
I noticed it at work today on my C9, first time I've noticed it and at first I thought it was a fault!

White logo is no danger,red..yellow...orange...this is problem.

Thanks for comments. I watched the race while being extra careful and I used zooming half of the race so logo was displayed only half time. I also dropped oled light from 24 to 18 and reduced contrast from 85 to 75. No noticeable IR. I guess I’ll try next race with normal settings I use but I thought it is good idea to start carefully, better be safe than sorry.

You mentioned logo luminance dimming. How that is supposed to work? I have kept it on high setting all the time but I haven’t noticed it doing anything not even if I go channel with very bright logo. Is it because I already use so low oled light setting it is not needed to dim the logos?
Or is it possible that using ”too” low oled light setting is actually more harmful in case it does not dim the logos at all then?

Thanks for comments. I watched the race while being extra careful and I used zooming half of the race so logo was displayed only half time. I also dropped oled light from 24 to 18 and reduced contrast from 85 to 75. No noticeable IR. I guess I’ll try next race with normal settings I use but I thought it is good idea to start carefully, better be safe than sorry.

You mentioned logo luminance dimming. How that is supposed to work? I have kept it on high setting all the time but I haven’t noticed it doing anything not even if I go channel with very bright logo. Is it because I already use so low oled light setting it is not needed to dim the logos?
Or is it possible that using ”too” low oled light setting is actually more harmful in case it does not dim the logos at all then?
I use logo lum on low, it works OK at dimming logos but if the logos are large or more than one on screen the whole screen will dim .

This is good to know. How quickly these non-white logos can cause BI in these latest generation oleds like C9?
We need to waith to see but till now on previous models it seems around 10000 hours depends on usage, hdr, colors...

We need to waith to see but till now on previous models it seems around 10000 hours depends on usage, hdr, colors...
I guess that it total hours and not just certain colored logo displayed that long? Any idea how long certain like red or yellow logo can be displayed total time until it causes that noticeable burn later on?

I use logo lum on low, it works OK at dimming logos but if the logos are large or more than one on screen the whole screen will dim .
Is there any easy way to test that logo dimming actually works? I have never noticed it doing anything in my TV even I have it set high? I use only oled light 24, so is it possible it is not used in that low setting?
Just wondering if is would be better then to use so high oled light setting that this actually does something (in case it is depending on that), I mean could low oled light setting allow logos to be displayed a bit too bright in relation to other picture content vs if you have high oled light setting so high that it would automatically dim? Just wondering and not sure if that even works in my TV at all?

I guess that it total hours and not just certain colored logo displayed that long? Any idea how long certain like red or yellow logo can be displayed total time until it causes that noticeable burn later on?

Is there any easy way to test that logo dimming actually works? I have never noticed it doing anything in my TV even I have it set high? I use only oled light 24, so is it possible it is not used in that low setting?
Just wondering if is would be better then to use so high oled light setting that this actually does something (in case it is depending on that), I mean could low oled light setting allow logos to be displayed a bit too bright in relation to other picture content vs if you have high oled light setting so high that it would automatically dim? Just wondering and not sure if that even works in my TV at all?
Thing is that time on screen is stacking.....10x per day 5minuts of Netflix logo is all together 50 minuts of logo on screen for that day.

Go to rtings.com and look for their real life burn in test. It’s scary at first sight, but bear in mind that they were testing C7s, the newer sets should do better I hope. Also bear in mind that the TVs were showing nothing else, so burnt in much quicker than our TVs will.

Even if the worst case is 2500 hours to start showing faint burn, consider how many Grand Prix and football matches you would have to watch before it’s a problem. 1250 Grand Prix by my reckoning and 1650 football matches. That will take you years. It’s not a problem.

The problems start with watching an hour or two a day of a news channel or a programme with a brightly coloured logo. The hours mount up really quickly that way. They are the things to avoid.

My C7 is spotless after 3 years of avoiding logos and news channels, but enjoying sport full screen.

It definitely works pal, i don't see much difference between low or high setting.
If you watch GMB with its bright orange logo you notice the logo dimming over time .
Yes I think with a low oled light the logo dimming will be less noticeable.

Well my old burned OLED as finally died. Big yellow blob in centre of screen unwatchable.. My dad who had it off me as skipped it ( well put it in the shed) and I replaced it with a brand new Q90r Qled..

An TV owning episode I'm glad is finally over lol. It's with the Tv gods now.

Well my old burned OLED as finally died. Big yellow blob in centre of screen unwatchable.. My dad who had it off me as skipped it ( well put it in the shed) and I replaced it with a brand new Q90r Qled..

Do you like the qled mate? Lot's of people say they are blooming good :D

#nerdydadjokes

Did you not have a 5 year warranty with it ? I would try to claim on it again as this sounds like a different problem

£200 to fix my TV via LG, that'll do for now until I have a little bit more saved for a proper replacement. This time it'll be John Lewis that I'll buy from. Richer Sounds whilst I acknowledge that burn-in/retention isn't covered were still pretty useless. No idea if I'll stick with OLEDs or even LG at this time.

£200 to fix my TV via LG, that'll do for now until I have a little bit more saved for a proper replacement. This time it'll be John Lewis that I'll buy from. Richer Sounds whilst I acknowledge that burn-in/retention isn't covered were still pretty useless. No idea if I'll stick with OLEDs or even LG at this time.

You know RS have a presence on the forums?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom