OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

I normally take this guy with a pinch of salt.

Has anybody had burn in on Panasonic or Sony Oled?

still not heard from richer sounds customer service so will be back on the phone to them later today

After calling JL every other day, kicking off and asking to speak to a snr manager, just got off a 2hr call with JL , they have told me best option is to refund my original purchase price, and will come n collect the TV. Took a while but finally got there, last guy who i spoke to redeemed the reputation of them.

I think whether its LG, JL or currys it all seems to be a pot luck draw based on who you speak to and how much they actually understand the problem at hand.

Next question is to oled or not to oled ? I will have to have a big think about this i like my E series, but they dont make it anymore, the E9 does look nice and if i shop around can maybe find in within budget. The GX is 500 quid too steep not sure if i should wait for black friday again for the prices to go down , but im thinking if i go for the GX i wont have picture on glass like my E7?

My outgoing Panny G10 plasma has some burn from about 10 years use & it never really bothered me after all it still works & now almost worthless ready for when I recently got my Oled :)

just a little bit

Attachments

• DSC_0206.JPG
    DSC_0206.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 276
If you frequent news channels Oled is not for you. If you vary the content you should be fine.

If you watch lots of news channels and don't want to replace it every 2-3 years don't bother with OLED.

It doesn't matter if it is only 10% of your viewing, it will still 'burn'.

I watch an hour or two of Sky News every night, the TV is on for 10 hours a day in total, I get 'burn' showing after 18 months or so, by 2 years I can see it in 'some' content. By year 3 I have replaced it.

Is it worth it?

Forgetting the 'burn' I still find the image on my Sony XF9005 better for a lot of content. But when an OLED does its thing it is breathtaking.

If I had to have one screen would be it be an OLED?
Well, the way the UK media is now going with its pathetic "Got'ya!" type of reporting I am no longer watching the news, so yeah probably would go OLED if only one TV.

Thought about it quite a bit, think I’m going to end up getting a Samsung QLED (probably Q90T). I know if I got an OLED I’d just spend the whole time worrying about it and analysing the screen looking for defects or burn or whatever 😂

My mate had a smaller square shape of what you've got on his C6 Richersounds replaced the panel for him as it wasnt technically screen burn they said.

is there many people with the 2018 panels with burn in?
Seems to be limited so far to the 2017/16 panels. Will be interesting how many owners do yellow screen/red screen test to see the full extent of burn in on 18 panels if any.

Seems to be limited so far to the 2017/16 panels. Will be interesting how many owners do yellow screen/red screen test to see the full extent of burn in on 18 panels if any.
2018 set had better protection against PIR like logo luminance and larger red pixels.
There may well be 2018 sets with PIR but it just not been spotted by the owners yet

Well, just spoke with JL and their escalation department, and they aren't nudging. The report said "burn in/image retention", that's it case closed as far as they are concerned.
I tried to get through to them asking what

The green blob was an image of, but he just said he wasn't an engineer and has to go by the report!

Must be getting close to 4000 hours of gaming on my C8 (Purchased 2018) and I check coloured slides every couple of months and it's still perfect.

I have played Red Dead Online nearly every day for a year and lots of hours into a game like Fortnite with bright coloured HUD elements and about 500 hours put into Hunt Showdown.

It's pretty much exclusively a gaming display for me but I do take precautions, my set is permanently in standby when not in use and I'm always turning it off after 4 hours of use to run the compensation cycle.

I had a E6 that suffered burn in with similar usage in a single year, the only difference is I wasn't keeping it in standby permanently and making note of when the compensation cycles were due to run.

Well, just spoke with JL and their escalation department, and they aren't nudging. The report said "burn in/image retention", that's it case closed as far as they are concerned.
I tried to get through to them asking what the green blob was an image of, but he just said he wasn't an engineer and has to go by the report!
Time for the small claims court then.

Did you speak to LG ? Because they are Well aware of the rectangle issue and should replace the pannel at least .

Whilst my situation slightly different, you can try and speak to the engineering company who issued the report and ask to speak to a senior engineer like I did who then sent me an email confirming it was a panel defect all be it with a little bit of burn in, in the top corner. If not that complain to JL and say you are not happy with the outcome and keep escalating. Literally you want to get to the point of them giving you a deadlock letter. Then you can decide if you want to pursue the small claims route or try your luck with LG support.

Thanks for the replies gents.
I have created a fault ticket with LG yesterday, waiting for a reply.

Annoyingly, the tech that came round said he saw the same problem often, even said you should be able to watch whatever you want, but still wrote screen burn in his report!!

I'm not going to let it lie, as it's very annoying watching anything on the TV as everyone looks ill and discoloured.
I'll wait for a reply from LG, but will also send another email to JL stating I want it escalated.

Must be getting close to 4000 hours of gaming on my C8 (Purchased 2018) and I check coloured slides every couple of months and it's still perfect.

I have played Red Dead Online nearly every day for a year and lots of hours into a game like Fortnite with bright coloured HUD elements and about 500 hours put into Hunt Showdown.

It's pretty much exclusively a gaming display for me but I do take precautions, my set is permanently in standby when not in use and I'm always turning it off after 4 hours of use to run the compensation cycle.

Out of interest, what picture mode and luminance setting do you use for your gaming sessions ?

Hello all,

I have the LG 65OLEDB7V with screen burn as per attached photo. LG have stated they replace out of warranty screen's for a special price of £250. Does that seem fair with all the issues we are experiencing with these model TV'S? I really try not to pause the TV and not to run it for long hours etc and run the pixel refresher on a regular basis, but still have had a fault appear. I am now worried when/if I pay the £250 to get the screen replaced it will happen again ? Does seem poor for a 4 grand TV.

Do the newer models have extra features to prevent screen burn anyone had any luck getting a newer replacement model?
Regards
J

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 334
Ah the good old GMB logo. You see LG say it's your fault for having the temerity to watch a certain program semi-regularly. You doing have to pause for the image to "burn", just repeated appearance over an extended period will do it. LG dont care as they have no contract with you.

The retailer on the other hand needs to care. Your contract of sale is with them. The item has to be fit for purpose and reasonably durable. A TV the cannot be watched is quite clearly not these things. Get back in touch with the retailer and dont entertain any talk of irrelevant warranties. They need to offer one of the 3 Rs or else you'll have to start SCC proceedings, which you will win with little effort. If it gets that far you'll need to get an engineer report stating that you've not damaged it but I wouldn't pay for that yet until you hear what the retailer is going to do for you.

Hello all,

I have the LG 65OLEDB7V with screen burn as per attached photo. LG have stated they replace out of warranty screen's for a special price of £250. Does that seem fair with all the issues we are experiencing with these model TV'S? I really try not to pause the TV and not to run it for long hours etc and run the pixel refresher on a regular basis, but still have had a fault appear. I am now worried when/if I pay the £250 to get the screen replaced it will happen again ? Does seem poor for a 4 grand TV.

Do the newer models have extra features to prevent screen burn anyone had any luck getting a newer replacement model?
Regards
J

How did you contact LG?
I have sent them 2 emails opening fault tickets, but I've had no reply.
Thanks

I just phoned the UK support number and they create a case and then ask you to send photo's to a whats app number and then wait 2 weeks for them to contact you. The number I used for LG was 0344 847 5454.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom