OLED TV's and SKY

pjhaahl

Established Member
Reaction score
As someone with an OLED TV who worries about Burn in, I get very frustrated that many channels on SKY permanently display a channel logo on screen. Not only that many of them have a semi transparent effect which seems to confuse and render the auto dimming protection feature useless.

I've added a suggestion on the SKY Q ideas section of the SKY community forum in the hopes of getting Sky to only allow channel logos to be displayed for 1 minute at the start of a show, and then for 1 minute following recommence after an ad break.

If you share the concern and would also like to see this change happen perhaps you could follow the link and 'like' the post.

Stop channels from permanently displaying channel

I was also thinking of adding a comment suggesting they go further and allow SKY users to switch on screen info graphics on and off at will using one of the function buttons on the SKY remote.

As someone with an OLED TV who worries about Burn in, I get very frustrated that many channels on SKY permanently display a channel logo on screen. Not only that many of them have a semi transparent effect which seems to confuse and render the auto dimming protection feature useless.

I've added a suggestion on the SKY Q ideas section of the SKY community forum in the hopes of getting Sky to only allow channel logos to be displayed for 1 minute at the start of a show, and then for 1 minute following recommence after an ad break.

If you share the concern and would also like to see this change happen perhaps you could follow the link and 'like' the post.

I was also thinking of adding a comment suggesting they go further and allow SKY users to switch on screen info graphics on and off at will using one of the function buttons on the SKY remote.
Most channel logos on main channels I'm aware of are semi transparent white, which pose no risk to the panel in terms of image retention.

it’s only after getting an OLED did I notice how much stuff has static images on it. It’s so annoying. So many YouTube channels have them on too. I’ve taken to only watching them in my bedroom now I’m going to sign your petition.
Most channel logos on main channels I'm aware of are semi transparent white, which pose no risk to the panel in terms of image retention.
inwas wondering about that.So they cause next to no concern for image retention and burn in?

Other channels like H2 feature red of yellow logos.

What concerned me last night was live pause seems to feature a solid red bar for Sky Q at least. We rarely watch live TV, usually it's all prerecorded.

So they cause next to no concern for image retention and burn in?

I'm not convinced. Logically it doesn't make a great deal of sense.

If you think about it a semi transparent white logo is still a static, specific area of the screen where the pixels are being worked harder than the surrounding areas. And, they are being worked hard for a prolonged period of time in order to provide a bright 'white / off white' colour

Since there is a slight ongoing change in the colour and intensity as a result of the background image changing behind them, they don't auto dim effectively like a fully opaque logo would either. Given they remain on screen for a long time and they also undermine the dimming protections present in most recent TVs I'd have thought they do represent a risk, and an unnecessary one at that.

If you think about it a semi transparent white logo is still a static, specific area of the screen where the pixels are being worked harder than the surrounding areas. And, they are being worked hard for a prolonged period of time in order to provide a bright 'white / off white' colour

Since there is a slight ongoing change in the colour and intensity as a result of the background image changing behind them, they don't auto dim effectively like a fully opaque logo would either. Given they remain on screen for a long time and they also undermine the dimming protections present in most recent TVs I'd have thought they do represent a risk, and an unnecessary one at that.
I thought the OP was referring to the grey logos seen on the likes of 4 and ITV? They’re not bright white or intrusive by any means.

It might not make sense, but there are no cases of image retention appearing because of translucent logos. Further, because they aren't bright white, the pixels aren't being driven hard.
If you can find an example of a normal user seeing IR because of these logos, please highlight it - but if not, you genuinely have nothing to worry about.

Other channels like H2 feature red of yellow logos.

What concerned me last night was live pause seems to feature a solid red bar for Sky Q at least. We rarely watch live TV, usually it's all prerecorded.
It's a risk with the Sky Q 'recorded' bar, but I mitigate it by clicking the back button as soon as i've paused/played. Appearing on the screen for a second here or there isn't going to build up too much over the lifetime of the panel.

Of course, the worry is channels that have coloured logos/features in the image. As much as I loved the cricket world cup last year. the red highlight in the ICC logo made me hate watching. Just reduced the panel brightness levels and hoped for the best.

It might not make sense, but there are no cases of image retention appearing because of translucent logos. Further, because they aren't bright white, the pixels aren't being driven hard.
If you can find an example of a normal user seeing IR because of these logos, please highlight it - but if not, you genuinely have nothing to worry about.
That’s good to hear. We don’t have Sky or anything like that so we only use freebies and most of their logos are the grey, transparent ones. The only thing I watch regularly with a “hard” logo is BBC Breakfast and that’s just the time. I do a vertical zoom to get rid of that.

I thought the OP was referring to the grey logos seen on the likes of 4 and ITV? They’re not bright white or intrusive by any means.
I'm referring to any and all logos. whether it by SyFy, History Channel, Dave, whatever.

I would rather that Sky limited broadcasters to showing in picture channel logo's for a brief period, no longer than one minute, at the start of programs and following ad breaks.

This would eliminate any risk, and beyond panel damage considerations, ultimately be less annoying too.

I also don't see any reason why they couldn't assign a button to allow users to toggle infographics on and off so one could disable / enable things like the rolling banners on Sky News at will.

Personally I see no downside in giving users more flexibility and choice

It's a risk with the Sky Q 'recorded' bar, but I mitigate it by clicking the back button as soon as i've paused/played. Appearing on the screen for a second here or there isn't going to build up too much over the lifetime of the panel.

Maybe not for you, but I have enough trouble explaining to my other half why leaving stuff paused is bad. In her mind, a TV that you can't watch what you want on is not fit for purpose and in many ways, she is right.

I'm referring to any and all logos. whether it by SyFy, History Channel, Dave, whatever.

I would rather that Sky limited broadcasters to showing in picture channel logo's for a brief period, no longer than one minute, at the start of programs and following ad breaks.

This would eliminate any risk, and beyond panel damage considerations, ultimately be less annoying too.

I also don't see any reason why they couldn't assign a button to allow users to toggle infographics on and off so one could disable / enable things like the rolling banners on Sky News at will.

Personally I see no downside in giving users more flexibility and choice
I completely agree with you.

In her mind, a TV that you can't watch what you want on is not fit for purpose and in many ways, she is right.

have you been seeing my missus behind my back!

I've resorted to 'don't worry about why' just don't pause the bloody TV.

I see the lovely folk at Sky have marked the request 'declined' because they haven't asked for ideas ref onscreen graphics......

Wasting your time,they wont change. Never changed it when plasma owners were complaining about it,and wont change it just for a handful of Oled owners who want it.

Wasting your time,they wont change. Never changed it when plasma owners were complaining about it,and wont change it just for a handful of Oled owners who want it.
Handful? Oled is favoured by huge numbers as the picture quality is the best. Of course the broadcasters have no interest in sorting the logo screenburn issue.

Handful? Oled is favoured by huge numbers as the picture quality is the best

They may be favoured by, but they’re not bought by the “average Joe” who just goes by price and looks when buying a TV.

Handful? Oled is favoured by huge numbers as the picture quality is the best. Of course the broadcasters have no interest in sorting the logo screenburn issue.
How many of your family, friends or workmates have an oled TV?
Plasma was more popular than oleds in it's time yet I ended up with a lovely nick junior logo on the bottom of my plasma despite an effort by plasma owners to get sky to alter it's logo policy.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom