Oled Yellow/Red Tint

Does your Oled have tint that can be seen in normal content?

• Total voters

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have climbed aboard the Oled train this year and have been delighted with what the technology provides.

I do have an issue that I can’t seem to remedy though.

I started with a 55” E7, it had a yellow tinted bar along the top of the screen. Even after a weeks’ worth of compensation cycles, while the banding improved, the tint remained the same. It can be seen in content, anything with snow or clouds, so for example watching this years season of GoT was a bit annoying.
I decided to get a refund.

Then the LG 65” C7 reduced in price, while I knew there was an additional risk of banding, I thought I’d take it.

So my 65” C7 arrived and the picture was stunning and then I noticed John Snow traversing across some yellow snow, yes I had a yellow tint bar down the left-hand side. Ran it for a week, no difference.

I exchanged for another – same issue

And then another and the left-hand side was clean…just had a large yellow band in the middle of the screen.

While I can try another (if Currys allow), I decided to phone LG to see if there have been people reporting this – to my surprise they said they are unaware of the issue.
This can’t be true, am I the only one suffering the yellow band? Its not my eyes, my wife can see it too.

Currys suggested trying another model (I had) and then another manufacturer, but they all have LGD panels, so assuming this variance is across them all.

Do any of you have the same issue?

If I didn’t see it in content, I wouldn’t be bothered, but £3K for yellow snow is a bit much.

I have about 10 days left to decide what to do. I don’t have another tv and as I said at the start, Oled is amazing, so I can’t go LCD.
I am assuming I am going to have to put up with it unless its just the Scottish warehouses that have all the duff models :)

Interested to see if this affects you and to see if my assumption on the issue is across all manufactures and not just LG.

Attached are various shots of the models showing 100% IRE slide and a snow scene.

Edit: Now adding Red tint to the thread reported by some users.

Cheers.

Attachments

• C7no3.JPG
    C7no3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9,337
  • IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9,445
  • C7no2.JPG
    C7no2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10,924
  • E7.JPG
    E7.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9,368
Last edited:
Look at flat panels TV reviews. They put up pictures of OLEDs for every one they review at 100% and 5%. Every single one has some tint to an extent or another.

My C6 has a slightly more yellow middle band. It is noticeable on 100% just. My wife of course cannot see it.

Never been able to pick it out in content, and I've watched the latest game of thrones series and looked closely. Could never see it. It is faint though even on a slide. If for example, I switch from warm 2 to warm 1 I cannot see it at all even on 100%.

Yours look far more pronounced.

Look at flat panels TV reviews. They put up pictures of OLEDs for every one they review at 100% and 5%. Every single one has some tint to an extent or another.

My C6 has a slightly more yellow middle band. It is noticeable on 100% just. My wife of course cannot see it.

Never been able to pick it out in content, and I've watched the latest game of thrones series and looked closely. Could never see it. It is faint though even on a slide. If for example, I switch from warm 2 to warm 1 I cannot see it at all even on 100%.

Yours look far more pronounced.
Thanks, yes I can put up with some tint and even banding as I only see it in some dark scenes, but so far the yellow tint is very irritating, not sure if I'd be able to get used to it.

Go join the owners threads, they are full of similar stories. Seems to be generic to OLED.

Yes, but red. Also varies with viewing angle. Strange. 3000 worth of high end technology and can't make colours right.

Go join the owners threads, they are full of similar stories. Seems to be generic to OLED.

I have, been on the C & E7 threads.
Main issues are banding, but I agree tint free seems to be a bit of luck and something I may have to live with.

I created this thread as there would be 10 + threads to go through covering the various oled models this year and some are rather large (I know I can search for keywords within each thread).

Cheers

Yes, but red. Also varies with viewing angle. Strange. 3000 worth of high end technology and can't make colours right.

Thanks, haven't read any Red issue posts yet, maybe I should be thankful of yellow!

Cheers

Its the pol filterwhich is needed for the bottom emitting oleds. The strange thing is that the coloured stain is at different locations in different tvs and is also subject to viewing angles.

Its the pol filterwhich is needed for the bottom emitting oleds. The strange thing is that the coloured stain is at different locations in different tvs and is also subject to viewing angles.

This is interesting. Wonder if that is considered a fault or a feature? My tint is now on the right side of the only and can be seen when moving to the right and disappears when moving even more to the side. At the same time the left side gets just a slight magenta tint compared to pure white. This could well be just what you said, the filter. Fortunately from straight ahead and from left side the panel (pana 950) is practically flawless.

Wouldn't this also cause problems if you were wanting to get it pro calibrated. Which ever part of the screen you chose to take the measurements, the other parts would be wrong. Also, one of OLED's main selling points is wide viewing angle. That's of no use if you start to see tints off angle. Not having a dig at OLED as my next TV will be one but seems as though they need to up the quality control on some of these set.

You're correct if the tint is central, I guess you could move the meter..
Honestly, while this is annoying I can't emphasise enough how great oled actually is, the uhd HDR content is something else !!

My first e7 had tint down the left hand side, was about 4" wide.didnt see it on much content but the adverts when on white screen it could be clearly seen, had bad banding so sent it back, but second one is tint free.

From the first oleds tint has always been a issue. Had tint on both my 2 980 and 870. The 930 oleds had pink/red tint on nearly all of them. Most of that thread was about the tint. Yellow tint on the 2015 oleds, 2016 they seemed to have fixed it and was far less of a issue. But this year it has seemed to go backwards, along with uniformity and are not as good as last years,. Thankfully my e7 has no yellow tint that I seen on any content and banding not too much of a issue and very happy with it.
Taken just a minute ago
20170904_205705.jpg

My first e7 had tint down the left hand side, was about 4" wide.didnt see it on much content but the adverts when on white screen it could be clearly seen, had bad banding so sent it back, but second one is tint free.

From the first oleds tint has always been a issue. Had tint on both my 2 980 and 870. The 930 oleds had pink/red tint on nearly all of them. Most of that thread was about the tint. Yellow tint on the 2015 oleds, 2016 they seemed to have fixed it and was far less of a issue. But this year it has seemed to go backwards, along with uniformity and are not as good as last years,. Thankfully my e7 has no yellow tint that I seen on any content and banding not too much of a issue and very happy with it.
Taken just a minute ago
View attachment 907112

Thanks - looks great, gives me hope I may get a lucky break !

I only really see the yellow band down the right hand side

Theres a solid band down the righthand side edge ,but it really doesn't bother me much if I,m honest ,certainly not enough to think about swapping

Ah, can't see that on my phone, shall inspect tomorrow on the pc.
I have a returns number but watching other content it looks great, so may delay a few more days before I decide to book a pickup.

Ah, can't see that on my phone, shall inspect tomorrow on the pc.
I have a returns number but watching other content it looks great, so may delay a few more days before I decide to book a pickup.

It doesn’t really show up on slides mate ,other than that and uniformity it’s a very vibrant panel ,lovely picture

My third 55B7 goes back to Currys Thursday due to yellow staining. Asked for refund this time, not sure where to go from here. Everyone of the 3 panels was unique in its staining, and maybe I should have kept number two, as this latest Aug build is worse. Crazy that i can look at a white slide and see multiple shades in different areas each TV. Looking at the panels above in this thread, its clear theres some I could live with, but the thought of returning 7 or more to get there.. Been at this malarky since end of July now, and it stops you just enjoying content.

My third 55B7 goes back to Currys Thursday due to yellow staining. Asked for refund this time, not sure where to go from here. Everyone of the 3 panels was unique in its staining, and maybe I should have kept number two, as this latest Aug build is worse. Crazy that i can look at a white slide and see multiple shades in different areas each TV. Looking at the panels above in this thread, its clear theres some I could live with, but the thought of returning 7 or more to get there.. Been at this malarky since end of July now, and it stops you just enjoying content.

I know, it's a shame.
I'm still loving the tv, watching The Tree of Life and looks amazing.
Part of me thinks I'll put up with it as I only see it in certain content.
But then watched a bit of Schindler to see how this bad girl does B/W and you can see some yellow stains but I can't go LCD and sold my plasma, so they have me cornered :)

I was hoping August would be better :(

What are you going to do next as last years oleds (if you could get one) had their own unique issues ?

Good to see the pole percentage starting to come down !

I know, it's a shame.
I'm still loving the tv, watching The Tree of Life and looks amazing.
Part of me thinks I'll put up with it as I only see it in certain content.
But then watched a bit of Schindler to see how this bad girl does B/W and you can see some yellow stains but I can't go LCD and sold my plasma, so they have me cornered :)

I was hoping August would be better :(

What are you going to do next as last years oleds (if you could get one) had their own unique issues ?

I wish I knew. The reason I am changing TV(at this point I'm loathe to use the term upgrading) is the X1X in November. Already got new amp and atmos speakers back in the spring. TV was wait and see, knowing I could leave it till autumn. I jumped early with the 25% off thing.

Each time I've spent at least a week or more with the B7's seeing If i could live with it. And each time I decided I couldn't on a high end TV. If this was some £800 job it'd be different, but it baffles me LG seem to think these panels are acceptable. Perfect Black. Not that Perfect White.

Good shout on trying a B/W film, hadn't thought of that.

The options open aren't that great too. Try LG again in october. Try a panasonic ez952 with no DV and a £500 premium..and it's still an lg 2017 panel. Or go LCD, best options seem to be sony xe90 or xe93, but both seem expensive.

I've been spoiled by my last 2 plasma TV's, maybe If i had come from a cloudy dse ridden led this non uniform white wouldnt seem so bad :) Like you though, when the oled is shining its incredible. Gears4 and FH3 in hdr on the x1s look stunning.

All this with HFR E-arc hdmi 2.1 etc round the corner ..

Yeah, I had thought get a stop gap until next year...just don't know what that stop gap would be :)
I wish I knew. The reason I am changing TV(at this point I'm loathe to use the term upgrading) is the X1X in November. Already got new amp and atmos speakers back in the spring. TV was wait and see, knowing I could leave it till autumn. I jumped early with the 25% off thing.

Each time I've spent at least a week or more with the B7's seeing If i could live with it. And each time I decided I couldn't on a high end TV. If this was some £800 job it'd be different, but it baffles me LG seem to think these panels are acceptable. Perfect Black. Not that Perfect White.

Good shout on trying a B/W film, hadn't thought of that.

The options open aren't that great too. Try LG again in october. Try a panasonic ez952 with no DV and a £500 premium..and it's still an lg 2017 panel. Or go LCD, best options seem to be sony xe90 or xe93, but both seem expensive.

I've been spoiled by my last 2 plasma TV's, maybe If i had come from a cloudy dse ridden led this non uniform white wouldnt seem so bad :) Like you though, when the oled is shining its incredible. Gears4 and FH3 in hdr on the x1s look stunning.

All this with HFR E-arc hdmi 2.1 etc round the corner ..

Yeah, I had thought get a stop gap until next year...just don't know what that stop gap would be :)
You seriously thinking that oled so bad this year that à stop gap is a better option?
Seeing all this forum member changing TVs is a bit worrying indeed

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom