Question OLED55C9PLA or 55OLED754/12

EarToday

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I can get both the LG C9 or the Philips 754/12 - both 55" - for roughly the same price after LG cashback promotion.

I have always wanted Ambilight. I've struggled to find a good alternative.#

Given they are both OLED displays, why would I go for the LG and lose the ambilights?

Thanks

The LG is the better all-round TV with a more favorable smart platform and a better set of HDMI v2.1 features.

The HDMI 2.1 features are mostly useful for gamers, and carry next to no benefit otherwise. To replace the Philips saphi smart TV you could use a Roku or similar if you needed too.

Some people care more about integrated smart TV more than others.

EDIT* the LG B9 is usually cheaper than the C9 and usually makes it better value.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Dodgexander

I have plenty of external devices - main one being an nvidia shield tv which accounts for about 95% of my tv viewing - so I'm not overly-fussed about the built-in software.

I've read up on hdmi 2.1 over the last few days (quite a lot of changes since I bought my last tv 5 years ago!) but I'm not a gamer so not bothered about VRR. I use an external a/v receiver (yamaha rx673) with a 5.1 setup - sometimes 7.1 depending on the house I'm in but 5.1 is fine for me. So again, I don't see any immediate benefit from earc?

Then the fact 2.1 carries 8k and 10k - not important on a 4k tv is it? That will matter more when I next upgrade my receiver.

So taking out hdmi 2.1 and built-in apps, that seems to level the playing field between the two sets? I care most about a great picture which, from what I gather, both sets deliver, and I really want ambilight. I've previously built diy versions but they are messy, and I can't find a decent third-party system that sounds like it is any good.

I'm upgrading from a 47" LG HD LCD (before that a 42" Panasonic plasma), so I suspect the Philips oled panel (is the panel made by LG?) will blow me away anyway.

Given all that (sorry it's so long!), do you think I'd kick myself if I passed up on the LG C9 over the Philips? At the moment, all I can really see is I'l kick myself if I am sat watching it in the dark without ambilight ;) Although I'm a bit concerned about it only being 3-sided as I wanted to put this on the wall (not too high, just enough to get it off the cabinet and away from tiny hands).

Thanks

Got the Philips today. So far so great. Loving it. Tried a few things that I know well and literally stunned by the level of detail that has been there all along but impossible to see on an HD tv. Wow!

ps. the ambilight is ace too ;)

Thanks

Got the Philips today. So far so great. Loving it. Tried a few things that I know well and literally stunned by the level of detail that has been there all along but impossible to see on an HD tv. Wow!

ps. the ambilight is ace too ;)

Thanks
Lovely to hear. Glad you are enjoying the TV!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom