Olympus Has Fallen 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
i loved the olympus has fallen and have it on bluray and its action all the way, if it comes to 4k im in their and would buy it straight away,

I would avoid buying UHD releases from Concorde. I am sure Lionsgate will release these on UHD next year.

I really cannot understand how the powers that be sign off on something that has been received SO badly in the review. Unbelievable and just goes to show that studios still employ people who really do not know what they are doing.

Sometimes I wonder if these shoddy releases are being put out on purpose just so that people get fed up of physical media and gravitate towards streaming- and let's face it, Hollywood really wants us all to go to streaming anyway.

i loved the olympus has fallen and have it on bluray and its action all the way, if it comes to 4k im in their and would buy it straight away,

It has - this is a review of the 4K - but please don't; wait until it gets a proper release

I would avoid buying UHD releases from Concorde. I am sure Lionsgate will release these on UHD next year.

Did you just copy the last line of my review? ;)

I really cannot understand how the powers that be sign off on something that has been received SO badly in the review. Unbelievable and just goes to show that studios still employ people who really do not know what they are doing.

Sometimes I wonder if these shoddy releases are being put out on purpose just so that people get fed up of physical media and gravitate towards streaming- and let's face it, Hollywood really wants us all to go to streaming anyway.

I think they just want to sell discs. The same happened with the 4K Iron Man discs in Germany before Marvel did all the MCU properly in 4K. They're popular films and people will buy them because they say '4K'.

I suspect it's the technology they're using to remaster in 4K and the fact it's probably mostly automated with very little genuine care or quality control. Just scrub it, apply generic HDR/DV to the whole thing, and press the disc. I don't think it's someone actively being bad at their job, just a studio being apathetic towards the end result vs. making as much money with as little effort as possible.

We'll get a proper release, we just have to be patient, there aren't many mainstream studios that are regularly shoddy anymore.

I remember when I first saw it - it felt like a real change from the norm and certainly shook things up...despite only doing what we have seen in the past of course. I like all three of them - guilty pleasures!

I watched Olympus again recently on either Netflix (or Prime) and it really is quite enjoyable nonsense.

I'd defo buy a single release (London is an abomination and Angel is just ok) of this if the transfer is decent.

As said above, we may well get these from Lionsgate next year so i'll wait.

Thank you for the review. I like the films and was considering but will wait now for potentially a better quality release later. Very useful.

That's a shame.
Just as well some other releases make up this, from our soon to be forgotten Euro brothers.
Although sometimes we get screwed with English speaking films/series not getting the best audio to that of German.

I have to say, I really miss this type of action movie. They were common place throughout the 80's and early 90's but now everything has to have a 12 rating. I know that studios have to appeal to the widest possible audience but surely the Friday night with a beer and a takeaway demographic deserve some love too!

totally agree with the guy above in what hes saying, in the 1980s thay made some good movies which were 18 rated or r rated and i loved them all such has chuck norris movies all with loads of action/violence/death/blood, we need more action movies and i dont think your going to get them from disney, fox made some great action movies and over the top with sly stallone was awesome and i have that in my collection, over the top is a classic movie with good action/music,

Thanks for the Review Cas. I have Die Hard on iTunes in 4K, & sounds like that has the better quality picture! (And script, & Bad Guy, &.....)
Yippie-Ki-Yay! ;)

Yeah it's not a bad movie by any stretch for the genre, but one thing I really dislike about it (and most films of this vintage onwards tbf) is the CGI blood; it always looks so fake, and in my opinion, actually takes away from the violence, because it never really looks like people are actually getting shot up. I mean just compare to something like the original RoboCop, no comparison for visceral realism. I'm not sure if it was the 4K of Olympus I was uh.. "testing" before putting down any money for it, but some guy got shot dead and a perfectly formed shape of blood started expanding out from under the corpse, like the old Resident Evil games when you knew you'd actually killed a zombie, looked ridiculous. By all means use CGI to do elaborate set-pieces that can't be done for budget/logistical purposes, but bring back fake blood packs, it does *so* much for action films...

As for the 4K of Olympus, yeah, massive disappointment, although I pretty much expected this. It's legitimately one of the worst applications if not the worst I've seen, for DNR on 4K. I flicked back to the Blu-ray after and while things like skintones are much redder and "primitive", it actually looks like film in comparison. Horrible "fizzy" HDR grading; there's a scene inside the hospital before the attack and some patient is in a bed, and it looks like he's got a stadium floodlight shining down on his bed on the 4K compared to the Blu, it's so harsh looking, very unpleasant. The scene inside the cafe near the start looked truly awful, blatant edge enhancement and DNR, reminded me of some of those early Universal Blu-rays like 40 y/o Virgin. Yuck. A few of the close-up shots reveal some nice detail, but they're so infrequent, and they may well have looked similar on the Blu, couldn't be arsed comparing it all.

I would avoid buying UHD releases from Concorde. I am sure Lionsgate will release these on UHD next-just kidding Cas! :D

Hmmm never even knew this had a release tis only £39.27 www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08C8Z8LRZ

Anyone seen Angel has Fallen from the boxset? German review:

I've not seen the last 2 films so looking at Cas's reviews for London Has Fallen www.avforums.com/reviews/london-has-fallen-4k-blu-ray-review.18092 this could be worth buying.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
No, leave it well alone.

Pick up the UK release of Angel Has Fallen and save yourself the heartache.

Awful quality of video, dull, dark, NR overload. Most of my DVDs look better, average audio, not a demo like it's described in the review. Avoid at all cost, watch it on stream services and wait for a proper release.

Awful quality of video, dull, dark, NR overload. Most of my DVDs look better, average audio, not a demo like it's described in the review. Avoid at all cost, watch it on stream services and wait for a proper release.
Or buy the cheap Blu-ray.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom