Question On the market for Processor/Amp. McIntosh or just go Denon?

cineconcept

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am away from this hobbit for years now, sold most of my system years ago.
Life changes but the passion for movies doesn’t.
I am on the market to buy Pre-Pro.
Was thinking on AVR, but going Pre-Pro now.
I’ve seen recently that McIntosh released their new line of products and they look good.
But for example, is the MX-123 a copy of the Marantz like they did before with previous generations?
Difference is huge in price to the MX-170, and the MX-123 comes with IMAX, and the MX-170 doesn’t.
Any other similar options?
Tank you

First, Denon do not make a Pre-Pro, only Marantz which you are already considering. There is also the Arcam AV860, Athem AVM60, Emotiva XMC-2 and the Yamaha CX-A5200.

The McIntosh look nice if you have 10 - 20k to spend :laugh:

Seems big money to drop on an AV amp when you can pickup am ARCAM 850 for around £4000. Given the budget I would spend the money on an AV850 and some top end speakers.

I not sure I would worry to much about the IMAX certification as it's seam to be rather theoretical than anything substantial.

I do not have personal experience of them but most people here do not rate the Yamaha room correction, while others that use Dirac or ARC are better. I have only used Audyssey which work for me.

Why do you want to go Pre-pro and Power Amp? I would look first at Marantz SR8102 or SR7013.

I also think you guys are right, it might be a waste of money.
The only room correction I’ve used was from a Pioneer SC-LX90 (Susano) back in 2008....and was horrible. The sound was so good from factory and then I could never put it the same way.
I’ve seen also the Denon, Yamaha, Arcam, Etc....
I don’t like the looks of the Arcam, and also don’t like Marantz.
The ones that catch my eye, because I also want to look at the piece and like it....are Denon (8500h), McIntosh of course, Yamaha, and Rotel...but i think Rotel is dated....compared to others.
Basically after 10 years out of the AV worried I feel dumb and stupid 😂

Arcam, emotiva, nad, and now monoprice all use dirac. 3 of them offer processors if you want to go pre pro.

more important that most of that tjough are your speakers and room? no point throwing £20k into a source when your room and speakers are not up to the challenge.

I'f look at the lyngdorf processor that would imo wipe the floor with the mclntosh.

I think you would be very impressed with modern room correction. Unless you plan to convert a room into a dedicated AV room, room correct is going to be the most significant difference any high end system.

While the Denon 8500 has every bell and button you could ever image. Unless you have a dedicated room with all or least most of the channels hooked up, it's mostly going to be wasted. I would find hard to justify more than really 2 atmos speakers and 1 sub. So may pushing thing in a big room by running a 5.2.4 system.

So in many systesm you would have to add extra power amp. but that's good because at a price point the more channels you have the less good each channel is likely to be. So just enough channels is better in sound quality terms.

Dirac is one of most advance of these system and for Bass correction alone is almost a most have. Emotiva is another Dirac based system but here in the UK I think it's hard to beet the Arcam at their current prices.

Considering you would be using the system in a dimly light room, looks off screen don't cut much ice lol.

I want to tank everyone’s opinion here. Just for everyone to have a clue of what I want, this is for a living room/home theater space.
I have a room that will be a dedicated theater, but not this one.
The space is around 215 Square feet, and is like a square.

So I a, tempted to go for the Denon AVR-8500h with Artcoustic Speakers SL Series, or Klipsch Reference, or SVS, feedback here is appreciated.
My TV is almost bought, just undecided by the Sony Oled 65 or the Panasonic Oled 2000 new model.
The Panasonic has more connections and the picture is better in my opinion.

As for the blu Ray 4K player will be the Panasonic 9000 or the Pioneer LX500.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom