On the Rocks (Apple TV+) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Cheers for that Cas. I'll be subscribing to Apple for a one off month to catch this, Greyhound and Trying.

I’ll check this out when I get my PlayStation along with the new Bond film 😂

Sounds like an ideal Sunday evening watch. I'm one of the few people actually paying for ATV+ as I wanted to watch Long Way Up, and the sent me an email saying as a thank you they will credit my account with £4.99 a month. You can't pay for this service even if you wanted to! Personally I'm getting more value from it than Disney+, and they really go the extra mile in terms of AV quality. That should be worth something.

Sorry guys, I thought it would’ve been far far better.

yes, there are plenty of references to Lost In Translation (cityscapes, reflections, car windows, swimming pool etc etc) but those alone shouldn’t and couldn’t carry this film.

Murray, as you’d expect, was superb. Jones looked too much like an ageing Scarlett Johansson, and it was off putting. Although, banter between the two was quality and believable.

Despite the key ingredients all being present, what let this down wasn’t the actors, the settings or even the the pathos. The script, essentially, was good but the story itself was woeful. Even pathetic.

I think it’s meant to be a feelgood movie, but after the last scene I felt anything BUT good. Just deflated.

now then, where’s my Lost In Translation blu ray?

Sadly don't have Apple TV but it might be worth it if Bill Murray is back on form. Lost in Translation is one of my favourites.

9/10.

It is very difficult to make a good movie with this simple emotional light hearted theme. Easier to throw money at Action effects.

Based on this the drama, acting [no over acting], pace, storyline was just right. For what it was intended for it is 9/10.

ofcourse on Avforums we care about picture/sound and it is excellent picture DV without being throttled and Atmos is superb. So need to start with 7/10 even if content was rubbish.

I enjoyed it, just a straight forward movie. Quite funny in parts definitely a 8/10 at least.

Thanks for the review cas - had this on my to watch list. I enjoyed lost in translation and as Apple have added another 3 months to my sub - will definitely give this a go - george

The story was slight enough but it does have Coppola's sophistication in the telling.

The first half of the film was really good, Murray was really on form and you could get a sense of the relationship between him and his daughter. Sadly it kind of came to a damp squib of an ending and I think the first half at least of the film deserved better. Shame, it had great potential. I would agree it was about a 7/10.

Watched it yesterday afternoon.
I Love offbeat films like this make perfect viewing for a lazy Sunday.
Bill Murray was brilliant and as a
Lovable rogue of a father.
8/10 for me.

Thanks for the review as always. Watched this last night and it was reasonably enjoyable but ended to easily ! Murray was great as was Jones. The spin in the little red convertible was very funny as was the way he talked himself out of the spot of bother he had with the police.

It certainly didn't convince me to get a robot vacuum cleaner anytime soon :rotfl:

6 out of 10 for me (or maybe a 7 if generous)

Gave this a spin tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Both Murray and Jones are great. Perhaps not as funny as it could be but nice to see Murray in something where's its not like he's playing an imitation of himself. The story is very delicate in the way it guides you through its themes to the end - well worth a watch.

The trailer looked clumsy. Having spoilered myself with Wikipedia, I'm not that keen to watch it. Can anyone point out some trademark Sofia Coppola moments that might entice me to take the plunge? Like most on here, I love "Lost In Translation".

Thanks.

I can’t really remember anything about the film now. It’s no List in Translation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom