Onkyo 605 upgrade recommendations

jwlawler

Established Member
Reaction score
My 605 is approaching its 10th birthday. It is still doing a decent job but I might use its anniversary as an excuse for an upgrade.

It has a 5.1 speaker system connected. I have experimented with 7.1 but it is not a priority. Upgrading the speakers is a possibility but not any time soon. The TV will be next.

Features that I would like:

Support a 4k TV and 4k sources but also work with my existing HD TV and sources.

Plenty of HDMI inputs including one at the front.

Line level analogue auxiliary out (which goes to a stereo amp in an adjacent room).

Internet radio and Spottify.

Support for two subs (nice but not essential).

Would be nice it was smaller and ran cooler than the Onkyo. Certainly no bigger.

Bluetooth connection for phones etc.

Features that I don't much care about

FM radio (it used to be important but the quality is too poor now).

7.1 (I never managed to acquire much 7.1 material).

More power - the 605 is ample for my needs.

Powered zone 2 (but see the line out requirement above).

Most of the mid to high end receivers will support all your requirements. You have however failed to mention the most important in what speakers it will be required to drive and how will the use be split between film, music and gaming. Let's not forget budget as well.

Thanks.

The speakers are a bit of a mix. Left and right are Tannoy R3. Centre is also Tannoy. Surrounds are Mission M60i. The sub is an MK Gemini. So, all quite old stuff. The same vintage as the receiver and the TV.

Music quality is the top priority but not just stereo. I have a lot of music on BluRay. If it makes a difference, classical music is the priority.

Film and TV next.

Games - not important at all.

Budget? That's a but more tricky. Can I hope for a reasonable upgrade from where I am for under £400?

Sound wise, I would say that even now a sub £400 receiver is going to be at the least a sideways move. No receiver is going to be great for music, passable maybe for blu ray based music but stereo music they are very poor. Most blu rays come with DTS HD which your Onkyo can handle.

Music is obviously important so you're best bet is a Marantz but a bit above your budget. They are widely regarded as the most musical of receivers.
Marantz SR6011 Network AV Receiver Black SR-6011

Thanks. Sideways on sound quality would not be a disaster. Not backwards, of course. I am happy with the sound quality that I have. The 605 has a Pure Audio mode which suits some stereo sources. That is a feature that I should have mentioned.

The driver for the upgrade is not improved sound quality but other factors: primarily 4k but also better connectivity (HMDI, Bluetooth, Internet).

The 605 was only about £400. I had hoped that I would get at least the same quality today for the same, or maybe better.

I think if you went for the Marantz you will appreciate the better music quality, certainly the tone and delivery will be different from the Onkyo and your ears have to get use to that initially. With having pre-outs the Marantz will also allow for the possible inclusion of a stereo amp to further enhance stereo music presentation.

Thanks. I'll have a read and see whether my usual store could arrange a demo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom