Onkyo announce two new Dolby Atmos / DTS:X capable AV Receivers - news discussion

Looks a cracker! Bang up to date, with latest height formats and competitively priced. Yamaha will be looking over their shoulders at this one.

I only wish the power output was spec was measured as 2 channels.

They should also cut the bull.... 'push pull... Darlington...'

Looks good, looks like a Pioneer!

Shame they didn't also adopt the room EQ from Pioneer as well. I think the AccuEQ system they've used to replace Audyssey will always put a blot on Onkyo's copybook as long as they persist with using it. If there was one good thing that Onkyo could have gotten from the Pioneer merger then that would have been Pioneer's MCACC room EQ. Maybe this will indeed be the case once the two concerns are more integrated in the future? I think Onkyo shot themselves in the foot when they dropped Audyssey in favour of their own proprietary system?

Last edited:
. Yamaha will be looking over their shoulders at this one.
it's in the sub £1K market that Yamaha, may, "be looking over their shoulders"; but not in this price bracket. They have equivalent offerings above £1K

I'd probably favour Yamaha in the over £1K bracket. I don''t see anything associated with the Onkyo models that would attract potential customers away from what Yamaha have to offer at this price point, not unless desperate for THX certification?

Onkyo are the BEKO of the AV world.......... (maybe?)
Sell a lot (apparently).........tick boxes & do the job........ for a fair price.......

I dont see Sarbre 32Bit DAC's in the spec.......... they cost money.

Look nice amps and reasonable prices, however referring to the THX podcast, they did not recommend 5.1.2 or .4, but rather 7.1.2

Forgive me if I'm seeing this wrong, but these amps only offer 7.1.2 to the rear?

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference to me as speakers on the ceiling just aint happening for the two usual reason. The better half and room size.

I think Onkyo shot themselves in the foot when they dropped Audyssey in favour of their own proprietary system?
Agree. Would not consider another onkyo now.

I've never been a lover of the "Onkyo style" but at least these look better imo. Having said that i'll stick with my "Denon" AVC-A11XV(a) for the foreseeable future.

Hi,

Very surprised they do not have at least 9 Channels of amplification at this sort of price tbh. Maybe it's just me, but for some reason, I am just not that impressed with these newer models. I would be more inclined to look at the offerings from either Denon or Marantz & I am currently an Onkyo owner.

Suave!

ONE BIG Issue no 4:2:2 12bit/10 60/50HZ only 25HZ

Didn't know that Onkyo dropped audyssey - has there been reviews of their own system? Sounds like a big mistake to me!

Didn't know that Onkyo dropped audyssey - has there been reviews of their own system? Sounds like a big mistake to me!
there is a predictably massive thread debating it on avs, it basically applies practically no EQ so is essentially useless as an EQ solution. They advertise this as a feature though which makes it appealing to a certain subset of the community.

Wow. Undoubtedly it became a question of licensing costs, yet most of their sales must be to enthusiasts no? I wouldn't consider any purchase now which didn't embed EQ solutions such as ARC or Audyssey...

ONE BIG Issue no 4:2:2 12bit/10 60/50HZ only 25HZ
This HDMI implementation (all inputs, or some designated inputs?) is not bandwidth-limited like last year's models:

4K/60 Hz- and 4:4:4-color-space-ready HDMI inputs and two 4K/60 Hz HDMI outputs

So to your point, these Onkyos are not claiming rec.2020 color - WHY can't it at least pass-thru those bits? I would think the DISPLAY should be the only device in the chain that 'views' Rec.2020 as a hurdle - the player and receiver should be able to serve them up... the display must interpret/render them correctly.
Excerpt from HDMI.org:
Does HDMI 2.0 support BT.2020 (rec.2020) colorimetry?
Yes. HDMI 2.0 includes support for BT.2020 Colorimetry with 10 or more bits of color depth.
Video Formats defined in BT.2020 and supported by HDMI 2.0 specification:
– 2160p, 10/12 bits, 24/25/30Hz, RGB/4:2:2/4:4:4
– 2160p, 10/12 bits, 50/60Hz, 4:2:0/4:2:2

Attachments

• SP32-24062015-052955.jpg
    SP32-24062015-052955.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 113
  • HDMI-Calculator-Base-10.png
    HDMI-Calculator-Base-10.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 119
I admit that I'm a sucker for THX-certification (I rather enjoy seeing the badge on a piece of kit), but I would never choose it over full-implementation of Audyssey-Platinum with SubEQ.

It's assurance of Build-quality vs Sound-quality - at the end of the day, you buy the receiver for sound, and being able to adequately adapt output to suit the acoustics of your room can make a dramatic improvement. I would like to leave that task to a company that has specialized in it exclusively for over a decade (Audyssey).

Wow. Undoubtedly it became a question of licensing costs, yet most of their sales must be to enthusiasts no? I wouldn't consider any purchase now which didn't embed EQ solutions such as ARC or Audyssey...

Neither would I. As others have said I will not will interested or look at any future Onkyo A/V amp because of this (costcutting on 3rd party licence to increase margin on component)

So to your point, these Onkyos are not claiming rec.2020 color -
NO this is not my point No one today have screen with REC2020
http://oi62.tinypic.com/2nhhymh.jpg
you can have 4:4:4 8bit and only rec 709 where DCI-P3 :lease:
left image I attached a picture 4K have 16 BIT coloer ?

no HDR :lease:
bandwidth 18GBPS :lease:

Last edited:
no asynchronous USB

They need to offer 7.1.4 at this price so 9 channels of amps and processing for 11 channels at the very least Marantz and Denon lead the way here

Looks a cracker! Bang up to date, with latest height formats and competitively priced. Yamaha will be looking over their shoulders at this one.

I only wish the power output was spec was measured as 2 channels.

They should also cut the bull.... 'push pull... Darlington...'
With only 7 channels of amplification and offering only 5.1.2 processing this is hardly a cracker realistically you need 4 height channels for Dolby Atmos or DTSX these 2 amps look poor value to me

They need to offer 7.1.4 at this price so 9 channels of amps and processing for 11 channels at the very least Marantz and Denon lead the way here

I am sure that the processing side could be done with a modest increase in price, but as soon as you start with more amplification then the cost rises steeply.

They have to look at the most common set-up that the buyer, at this price will use. Nine channels, with the more expensive power supply might just be over the price point.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom