ONKYO home system with Airplay2 on a budget

Rapidmagic

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

With a budget of around £700 I wanted to buy Onkyo 5.1 HT-S7805 (£729) as I really like connectivity options specially Airplay2 and build in streaming but I'm a bit concerned that for my small living room 4m x 3.3m the 7805's speakers will be to much (both size and a power). When thinking about speaker size I would ideally get the lower model Onkyo HT-S3910 with much more discreet speakers set but on the other side the receiver lacks same connectivity options.
Does anyone know a similar budget/quality set that would have a small 5.1 speakers set and share Onkyo great connectivity options?
Any help would be much aprieciated.

Cheers

RM

Hi all,

With a budget of around £700 I wanted to buy Onkyo 5.1 HT-S7805 (£729) as I really like connectivity options specially Airplay2 and build in streaming but I'm a bit concerned that for my small living room 4m x 3.3m the 7805's speakers will be to much (both size and a power). When thinking about speaker size I would ideally get the lower model Onkyo HT-S3910 with much more discreet speakers set but on the other side the receiver lacks same connectivity options.
Does anyone know a similar budget/quality set that would have a small 5.1 speakers set and share Onkyo great connectivity options?
Any help would be much aprieciated.

Cheers

RM

No they aren´t too large or powerfull if placed correctly, but please forget that package. Onkyo makes good receivers, but i would steer away from their speakers and subwoofers, especially the subwoofers has amp problems. For speakers i would look some known manufacturers, can link few later.

Will you be wall mounting the speakers?

Do you have tv on midwall and can have "free hands" regarding speaker positioning?

Check the link below to give you better idea what you should aim for. For surround speakers most people have to do some compromises, but i would want to see the front three placement optimized. The main L/R speaker tweeters placed on seated ear height, center channel as high as possible to your ears when seated (wall mounting tv or using riser under it helps!). Worst situation would be if you have tv in corner with the couch not opposite to tv either as we see here often.

To give you real world idea in small room check this link and the position of LCR speakers and couch. LCR = Left, Center, Right.

Hi Gasp,
Thanks for your reply. The links are very helpful and I'll definitely look into proper speakers set up guidance.
I realised yesterday was last day of tax year and had to buy something quickly :)
Went for DENON AVR-X2600H with MONITOR AUDIO MASS GEN2 5.1.

Screen is a Optoma HD projector 1080p with base of the screen roughly 180-200cm with this distance.

Managed to do some to scale drawings and currently will aim for this.
Hopefully this will sound good and still have space for an upgrade to 7.1 with extra two Mass speakers in the future.

Not sure about rear right speaker positioning but I guess I'll have compromise here due to the room layout.

Yes, I'll be wall mounting speakers. Any recommendation for a speaker cables?

What you think? This should work right?

Cheers

RM

top liv.PNG
side liv.PNG

Hi Gasp,
Thanks for your reply. The links are very helpful and I'll definitely look into proper speakers set up guidance.
I realised yesterday was last day of tax year and had to buy something quickly :)
Went for DENON AVR-X2600H with MONITOR AUDIO MASS GEN2 5.1.

Screen is a Optoma HD projector 1080p with base of the screen roughly 180-200cm with this distance.

Managed to do some to scale drawings and currently will aim for this.
Hopefully this will sound good and still have space for an upgrade to 7.1 with extra two Mass speakers in the future.

Not sure about rear right speaker positioning but I guess I'll have compromise here due to the room layout.

Yes, I'll be wall mounting speakers. Any recommendation for a speaker cables?

What you think? This should work right?

Cheers

RM

View attachment 1278004View attachment 1278005

Hi! Should work fine, although the center channel looks to be too low. Always tricky with the surround speakers if they are placed so near to listener. Wall mounting them higher with the brackets that let´s you angle them would be good idea so they won´t be shouting directly to ears. Would be great if you could move couch forward even little.

7.1 is out for you cause couch against wall, but you could place the extra pair on the front walls high up under ceiling angled toward MLP. So 5.1.2 is possible certainly. But start with what you got and report back how it sounds when all installed and you have run the setup with microphone (use the cardboard stand)! Keep the mic 50cm from rear wall in each of the mic positions if you do 8 and just go what the on-screen setup asks you to do. Keep us posted how it sounds!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom