Quantcast

Onkyo needs multiple reboots for audio

GoodCoffeeCode

Standard Member
Hi all,

My TX-NR809 is developing a fault. When coming out of standby it won't recognise audio signals from any sources. When a source starts to send hdmi data, the amp display shows that it's thinking about what the format is. After a second or two, it gives up and there's no sound. I then have to reboot it (standby, not fully off) anywhere between 3 and 10 times for it to work. There are varying amounts of "clicks" inside the amp during this process. Once it "catches", everything is fine. The picture is unaffected.

Anyone experienced this before please?

dobrykamil

Very common issue with some Onkyo ac receivers. Google Onkyo no sound to find out more. Your model is also affected by dodgy dsp chip.
When there is no sound, are the speaker icons still shown on the front panel?

GoodCoffeeCode

Standard Member
Very common issue with some Onkyo ac receivers. Google Onkyo no sound to find out more. Your model is also affected by dodgy dsp chip.
When there is no sound, are the speaker icons still shown on the front panel?
And is this a repairable problem?

dobrykamil

It is, yes. I do this kind of repair myself. Since dsp chip on your hdmi board requires multiple reboots, I reckon a simple but proper hot air reflow job will cure it.

GoodCoffeeCode

Standard Member
It is, yes. I do this kind of repair myself. Since dsp chip on your hdmi board requires multiple reboots, I reckon a simple but proper hot air reflow job will cure it.
Good to know. Do you have a link with instructions that I could follow please?

dobrykamil

Have a look at this thread. Please note, it is very easy to:
- damage that chip if you apply hot air with too high temperature
- make bridges/shorts between those 0.50mm solder balls underneath the chip

Thing is, no sound issue is sometimes caused by corrupted firmware (bootloader part) and memory chip requires reprogramming.