Onkyo NR797 & Xbox 4K HDR Gaming not working - HELP!

WiscoAV

Novice Member
Reaction score
I purchased an Onkyo TX-NR797 yesterday for my Optoma UHD65 projector setup. I've tested both of my HDMI cables by directly connecting the Xbox into the projector and had no issues. Now after using my Onkyo for my AV/sound system, I have run into multiple errors from a video perspective:

Watching movies & TV:
- Your TV setup DOES support 4K 10-bit at 24hz.
- Your TV setup doesn't support 4K 10-bit at 50hz.
- Your TV setup doesn't support 4K 10-bit at 60hz.

Playing Games or Capturing games:
- Your TV setup doesn't support HDR10 for gaming.

I've changed the settings on my Onkyo receiver to auto upscale and performed a firmware update but no luck. Also, I know the UHD65 doesn't support Dolby Vision, so I am not concerned about getting that to work.

Hoping this thread can help me out, cause I am lost and would like not to return this product! (If I have too - please recommend some products that wont have this issue)

Thanks!

WiscoAV

Attachments

• 20191116_203702.jpg
    20191116_203702.jpg
    918.2 KB · Views: 709
  • 20191116_203720.jpg
    20191116_203720.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 740
Any luck? I'm having the same issue with my Onkyo TX-NR797 and Xbox One X. I suspect it's a setting that needs to be altered on the receiver, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I don't have the receiver you mention but I do have a 4k pass through receiver. I had a similar issue. On my receiver I changed the 4k setting on the inputs from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4. Not sure if this will help.

I did get a resolution to this from Onkyo. They said, "Press and hold" the "BD/DVD" button on the front of the receiver. While holding down "BD/DVD", please press the "On/Stand By" button on the front of the receiver. Press the "On/Stand By" button to cycle between 4K Standard and 4K Enhanced. Please choose 4K Enhanced.

Just make sure it is done on the physical receiver itself, not the remote!

Same issue on TX-NR686. The "Press and hold BD/DVD" tip worked for me too and for that I'm grateful to the OP.

This used to work out of the box when I first bought the AVR in Aug '19. A firmware update must have switched it off! Two questions I will ask of Onkyo:

1) Why isn't his in the PDF manual?
2) Why isn't it a setting in the OSD?

If I get an answer from Onkyo, will post back.

It's been almost the same issue with me recently. I don't how it worked, but in my situation it was all about new TV I've purchased.

I did get a resolution to this from Onkyo. They said, "Press and hold" the "BD/DVD" button on the front of the receiver. While holding down "BD/DVD", please press the "On/Stand By" button on the front of the receiver. Press the "On/Stand By" button to cycle between 4K Standard and 4K Enhanced. Please choose 4K Enhanced.

[/QUOTE
Littl

Confused do I need Xbox connected to BD input or does changing to enhance work on all inputs

The BD/DVD tip works for all inputs not just BD/DVD. My XBOX is connected to GAME as I expect yours is.

Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this fix. I was going nuts troubleshooting the reason I couldn’t get the HDR10 to activate on my receiver after getting the same message on the Xbox screen that you did, knowing full well my receiver, projector and Xbox One X were all capable of HDR10. Did your fix and green check marks everywhere and good to go. I’d buy you a beer if you were nearby!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom