Onkyo TX-NR 686 owners thread.

Also, does anyone know if the “PC” input on the receiver handles 444 signal any better/different than the other inputs?

Thanks.

Hi, I have a tx-nr686 with 5.1 speakers and setup like that.
The problem is with the sub: it's a wharfedale power cube 10 plus, it has left and right output, wich I have connected with an 2 rca to 1 rca unifier cable and connected to the A/V port 6 sub pre out.

Everything works great except that after a few days the sub stops to receive input from port 6 and I have to change it to the subwoofer port above it.
Then after a few days that stops again and have to switch it back to port 6.

Can't figure out what it's problem is.

Hi, I have a tx-nr686 with 5.1 speakers and setup like that.
The problem is with the sub: it's a wharfedale power cube 10 plus, it has left and right output, wich I have connected with an 2 rca to 1 rca unifier cable and connected to the A/V port 6 sub pre out.

Everything works great except that after a few days the sub stops to receive input from port 6 and I have to change it to the subwoofer port above it.
Then after a few days that stops again and have to switch it back to port 6.

Can't figure out what it's problem is.

I'm not sure how you have the receiver and sub connected. But you should have a phono (RCA) cable from the 686 sub out, to the line level input on the sub. Or you can connect both sub outs from the 686 to both inputs on the sub.

I'm not sure how you have the receiver and sub connected. But you should have a phono (RCA) cable from the 686 sub out, to the line level input on the sub. Or you can connect both sub outs from the 686 to both inputs on the sub.
So, the active sub has a 2 rca out

wharf.jpg

the sub's line level output is connected to a 2rca male-2rca male cable
rca2.jpg

then to a 2rca female 1rca cable
rca.jpg

finaly this 1rca cable is connected to the A/V on pre out 6 (1. on the picture)
sub.jpg

A/V is setup to 5.1 with active sub.

My problem is that after a while the sub does not get any input from the A/V from pre out 6, but if I change the connetion to the subwoofer port (2. on the picture), then it's ok again for a while, then I have to switch it back again to pre out 6 and so on..

But if I get your answer correctly, I can just connect the sub with the 2rca male-2rca male cable simultaneously to subwoofer and pre out (1. and 2. on the picture) and it should be fine?
Why does it "lose" the signal after a while?

So, the active sub has a 2 rca out

View attachment 1789261

the sub's line level OUTPUT is connected to a 2rca male-2rca male cable
View attachment 1789262

then to a 2rca female 1rca cable
View attachment 1789263
finaly this 1rca cable is connected to the A/V on pre out 6 (1. on the picture)
View attachment 1789264

A/V is setup to 5.1 with active sub.

My problem is that after a while the sub does not get any input from the A/V from pre out 6, but if I change the connetion to the subwoofer port (2. on the picture), then it's ok again for a while, then I have to switch it back again to pre out 6 and so on..

But if I get your answer correctly, I can just connect the sub with the 2rca male-2rca male cable simultaneously to subwoofer and pre out (1. and 2. on the picture) and it should be fine?
Why does it "lose" the signal after a while?
Surely you should be connecting to the subs input not output , I've always used one RCA cable from the sub out to the left input
Hope you sort it

Surely you should be connecting to the subs input not output , I've always used one RCA cable from the sub out to the left input
Hope you sort it

That's exactly what I said. Sub out on the avr to the line input on the sub. No need for that additional cable.

Hi all,

I've had the txnr 686 for a few years now and it has been great. I have added a second zone in my office and would like to add a sub.

I'm curious if anyone knows of this can be done. I can't find any information on it in the owners manual and can't not find any setting for adding a second sub. The only setting in can find is a simple yes or no for a subwoofer.

Curious any thoughts on the best way to do this, or if it's even do-able on zone 2.

My plan B is to just do a separate receiver in the office to accommodate the sub.

Curious on any thoughts / feedback

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom