Onkyo TX-NR 686 owners thread.

Newish 686 owner here. I'm obviously missing something but I'm stumped. I recently went from DirecTV to Fire Stick 4K and Roku (using both as I prefer the Amazon interface but the family likes Roku). My Fire Stick and Roku are both plugged into my amp directly using the HDMI ports. And then I have an HDMI cable going from the amp to the TV (an older Panasonic plasma without ARC). I have a 5.1 speaker setup and don't use the speakers in the TV.

I have the Roku and the Fire Stick both set to best audio available. Now I know (I think) that a lot of streaming services (like YouTubeTV) only send audio in stereo format. That works fine and I have the amp set to All Channel Stereo so it uses all the speakers. But I have found when using Amazon Prime or Netflix (which both send Dolby Digital signals) I have issues. If I have the amp set to Dolby Digital I get no sound from any speakers except a little tinny noise from my center speaker. When I hit the remote button to switch sound modes it shows both input and output as Dolby Digital. The only way I can get sound is to switch to All Channel Stereo, which obviously is different. This occurs both with the Fire Stick and the Roku, which makes me think I am missing something obvious. I still get the same issue if I force the Fire Stick to output either Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus.
I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that if everything was plugged into the amp I didn't need to worry about ARC. But perhaps I need a TV with either an optical out or ARC ?

Thanks for any help.

2 questions (1 problem 1 question)

1: EQ - I set preset 1 and raise certain frequencies, but I notice absolutely no difference, is there some specific way to get the EQ to work?

2: I have been plagued with screen blinking, I thought it was cables and went through a phase trying new cables, in the end I gave up, I decided to try a different port, before it was in "PC" HDMi port, I moved to "GAME" HDMI port, and magically it's all working, why is there screen blinking on the PC port?

2 questions (1 problem 1 question)

1: EQ - I set preset 1 and raise certain frequencies, but I notice absolutely no difference, is there some specific way to get the EQ to work?

2: I have been plagued with screen blinking, I thought it was cables and went through a phase trying new cables, in the end I gave up, I decided to try a different port, before it was in "PC" HDMi port, I moved to "GAME" HDMI port, and magically it's all working, why is there screen blinking on the PC port?

Q1. Have you tried 'Quick Menu' and selected the EQ (1 to 3) for what ever source you are on.

Q1. Have you tried 'Quick Menu' and selected the EQ (1 to 3) for what ever source you are on.

I haven't! Will give that a try later cheers.

Hey folks, I just set up an Onkyo TX-NR696 (hoeing that it has a similar layout to the 686 and that you could point me in the right direction). I keep getting this message -

“if you are experiencing abnormal Color issue, please go to Menu Display/HDMI EDID to adjust EDID setting. Please go to Menu Display/EDID Reminder to disable the message”

The problem is I cant find this anywhere. Anyone know where to find this? TIA

EDIT:

Turns out it wasn’t the AVR displaying the message but the projector, oops lol

Last edited:
New 686 owner here. Zone 2 low volume issue

My issue is super low volume to the speakers. I have a pair of 6 1/2" all weather speakers wired on that zone. Setting zone 2 volume to full gets me some sound but nothing like I expect for the power available and the speakers used.

I read about the intelli-volume settings and moved those up. Did wonders for my main channels but nothing for zone 2.

To make sure the issue wasn't speaker wire (in wall 12ga speaker wire approx 30' run), i swapped out zone 2 speakers and popped them into the main speaker channels. Bingo bongo I have full sound.

This all tells me I have some settings in the receiver wrong.

Any suggestions?
Hi.
Did you find a solution to the zone 2 low volume?. I'm having the same, issue! or is this just normal !! I do hope not.
My 626 zone 2 was LOUD. Actually the 626 was a very so slightly better raw sound but this 686, is less milk and more cream. Just wish it would give up a little more volume in zone 2.

Question regarding zone 2, but in theory could I wire up my rear speakers twice, once to the rear l/r and then again to the zone 2, and if I set zone 2 to my PC via optical, I can then play stereo through the rear speakers?

Seems odd I know, but the PC/Desk is situation on the rear so the rears would convineitley by stereo.

Question regarding zone 2, but in theory could I wire up my rear speakers twice, once to the rear l/r and then again to the zone 2, and if I set zone 2 to my PC via optical, I can then play stereo through the rear speakers?

Seems odd I know, but the PC/Desk is situation on the rear so the rears would convineitley by stereo.

No, the receiver has independent terminals for the back surrounds and the zone 2 speakers. There's no way to reassign the speakers connected to the back surround terminals as being the second zone speakers. Zone 2 audio would only ever be sent to the terminals earmarked for use by zone 2 speakers.

Regardless of whatever amp assignment you use, the back surrounds cannot be used without the other main room speakers also being engaged.

What if I just wired the back surrounds to zone 2 aswell, so I've got 2 sets of wires going to them.

You cannot do that. THe wires carrying the surround audio would in turn carry the zone 2 signal back into the AV receiver when not actually being used. You'd damage the AV receiver. You;d even risk blowing the speakers if also mistakenly engaging both the back surround output and the xone 2 output simulataneouly.

You'd need to use a physical switch prior to the speakers to differentiate between the outputs being connected to the speakers. You could potentially do this using a conventional speaker switch, but using it in reverse. You'd connect the zone 2 and surround back wires from the AV receiver to what would have been speakers 1 an 2 on such a swich and then the input on the switch out to the speakers. This is in theiry though and most switches include integral circuitry intended to equalise impedance. This would make them insuitable for what I suggested.

What would ideally be needed would be an amplifier selector, This will facilitate connecting both sets of terminals to it and then allowing you to select which set of terminals is fed to your speakers.

Last edited:
I've got an Onkyo receiver but, can't see a thread on my particular model.

So, can I just ask please; does anyone here have Sky Q running through their receiver and if so, are you able to access Sky's HLG HDR content?

I've got an Onkyo receiver but, can't see a thread on my particular model.

So, can I just ask please; does anyone here have Sky Q running through their receiver and if so, are you able to access Sky's HLG HDR content?
@Barney Gumble to try and help you, I decided to see if I could get HLG to run from the YouTube App on my Pana 820 to pass through my 393 and it did with no problem. I know my 393 isn't your model but it does prove that HLG does pass through.

@Barney Gumble to try and help you, I decided to see if I could get HLG to run from the YouTube App on my Pana 820 to pass through my 393 and it did with no problem. I know my 393 isn't your model but it does prove that HLG does pass through.

Wow! That's very generous of you to try and assist.

I've got the same player. Can I ask you for the link of the clip you watched please? I'll try the same to see what happens.

Thanks again.

Anyone else having issues with the controller app? Both android and Apple versions close as soon as opened.

Anyone else having issues with the controller app? Both android and Apple versions close as soon as opened.

App has been updated and seems to work again now.

Hi there, apologies if I am asking this in the wrong place. New member here and have an issue I need some help with if possible.

I have just purchased the 686 (upgraded my NR809) as I have upgraded to a Philips 70” 4K tv. Everything was great with that amp except no HDR.

setting up the amp with my speakers as I usually would, connecting my PC, PS4, Xbox One, WiiU, Apple TV and Xbox 360 as per the instructions and connecting the amp using the ARC option on my tv I get picture and sound from all except my Xbox one and PS4. I get sound but my tv display says there is no signal check HDMI connection and settings.

the hdmi’s work fine when connecting both to the tv and allow HDR options, and I have even tried the hold BD/DVD and standby option and changed to enhance with no joy.

I cannot seem to see an answer on the forums I have looked at.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi, I'm experiencing sound drops with this amp.
The setup is s912 based mediaplayer with coreelec --> amp --> 65C9 oled tv, all connected with hdmi cables, speakers are wharfedale 5.1 with active bass.
With 720p and 1080p movies everything is ok, even with hd sound, but if I watch a 4k movie on the mediaplayer and I pause the movie, then I hét sound drops for 1-2secs every few minutes.
I thought it was a problem with the mediaplayer, but today I started using the tvs netflix app and same thing is happening with 1080p and dd+ movie.
Tv is set to arc and automatic sound.

What can be the problem?

Hi There, I bought a Tx sr605 second hand and it is continually turning off then on again. Have unplugged everything so nothing connected, still does it. Is there a simple fix or would I be better to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing?

Hi There, I bought a Tx sr605 second hand and it is continually turning off then on again. Have unplugged everything so nothing connected, still does it. Is there a simple fix or would I be better to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing?

Is it possible you have any stray speaker strands shorting the receiver? This can cause problems such as the one you've described. If possible, use banana plugs on your speaker cable.

I have a problem with arc on my 686. As in, it just doesn't work. My TV, a Hisense 58" K700 model, detects the receiver through cec and other features such as volume control on both devices and receiver standby when the TV is turned off, work. But when attempting to enable arc through the 686 initial setup menu, it says that no arc device has been detected. I have checked the hdmi settingsiin the Hardware menu, and cec is enabled. Checking the interweb turns up a lot of Onkyo receivers with arc issues, across several generations of models.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I recently upgraded from a NR636 to the NR686 for a good deal. I did the upgrade because the 636 didn’t pass through Dolby Vision. However, the sound on the 686 seems to be very low compared to my 636. I could watch 4K Blu-ray Discs at a volume of 40 and I would be rocking the house. On the 686, I have to put it at 70+ for it to be decent and it only goes up to 80, but still nowhere near where the 636 was at 40. Am I doing something wrong? I’m not the most technologically gifted guy so I could have some setting wrong. I’ve tried using the mic to calibrate, but it seemed to be even lower. Any suggestions?

Haven't owned an NR636, but I too feel that the NR686's volume response isn't the best. It needs to be turned into the 65-75 range but barely do I need to hit 80.

For the max level of 80, there is an option in the settings where you can set the max level and maybe you need to check this? I have personally set it to 85.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom