Onkyo TX-NR 686 owners thread.

Hi, i'm looking to change my NR717 (my 2nd Onkyo after a NR609) to either the NR686 wich is the least expensive on my list (+-370euro )
or denon models x2600(500e)/x3500(650e) eventually a RZ730 (+-700e)

Reason of change :
need 4K pass through & HDR
mostly used on nvidia shield for netflix/prime/iptv that all propose 4K HDR content.
TV is a LG Oled55E8
Beamer Benq W2000
5.0 setup Q Accoustics
usage 90%HC

I'm pretty happy with the NR717, i had to get it repaired once due to a switch that went bad (30e) and didn't have the famous hdmi board problems.

Essential features i need :
-"Late night" function, and as i understand Denon does not have an equivalent. There is a night mode but that only cuts off the Sub, correct me if i'm wrong.
I use this function every time its supported & when the kids are sleeping ...
-4K HDR pass through

NR686 worries : well the AccuEQ sounds a bit crappy and i'm afraid of being disappointed.

Would the NR686 be the good choice ? should i look for a RZ730 instead ? Or a Denon with XT32
Open to any suggestions and recommandations.

Thanks

Edit: also looking at the NR696 priced at 520e

Last edited:
Hi, i'm looking to change my NR717 (my 2nd Onkyo after a NR609) to either the NR686 wich is the least expensive on my list (+-370euro )
or denon models x2600(500e)/x3500(650e) eventually a RZ730 (+-700e)

Reason of change :
need 4K pass through & HDR
mostly used on nvidia shield for netflix/prime/iptv that all propose 4K HDR content.
TV is a LG Oled55E8
Beamer Benq W2000
5.0 setup Q Accoustics
usage 90%HC

I'm pretty happy with the NR717, i had to get it repaired once due to a switch that went bad (30e) and didn't have the famous hdmi board problems.

Essential features i need :
-"Late night" function, and as i understand Denon does not have an equivalent. There is a night mode but that only cuts off the Sub, correct me if i'm wrong.
I use this function every time its supported & when the kids are sleeping ...
-4K HDR pass through

NR686 worries : well the AccuEQ sounds a bit crappy and i'm afraid of being disappointed.

Would the NR686 be the good choice ? should i look for a RZ730 instead ? Or a Denon with XT32
Open to any suggestions and recommandations.

Thanks

Edit: also looking at the NR696 priced at 520e
I have the 686 and it will do all that you are wanting from your setup. I don't bother with Room Eq anyway as there is more to a receiver than Room Eq. Too many people are focusing on Room Eq for purchasing a receiver in my opinion. But that is their choice. My set up includes the 686, LG C7, Sky Q and Panasonic 820 UHD Bluray player and i have zero problems. All my sources are connected with HDMI Premium cables though so that is probably a big help as i tried non HDMI Premium cables in the past and had problems. I think the sound from the the 686 is great and like you HC is about 90%. But if Room Eq is an important feature for you then you have to go with the best Room Eq receiver you can for the money. If you like the sound of Onkyo then i would stick with Onkyo, you just have to work out what model you want between the ones you stated, but as i said i have zero problems with the 686 and think it's a great little receiver.

Brian

hi and thanks for the answers.
I've refined the shopping list a bit:

in order of price:
NR686 /NR696/ x2600 / x3500 /

RZ740 / RZ830 / RZ840 / x3600h

-the 686 really stands out because it offers a lot at this price.
-The 740 is twice the price but opens the door to the atmos .4, the 830 (+ 70e) it looks so good... the 840 is 200e more than the 740 but it's a beast & 2019 model.
-the 'reasonable' choice in the list is the NR696 & x2600h ... these are 200e less than the RZ740 and 200e more than the 686 ...

listening room: rather small with 20m²

hi and thanks for the answers.
I've refined the shopping list a bit:

in order of price:
NR686 /NR696/ x2600 / x3500 /

RZ740 / RZ830 / RZ840 / x3600h

-the 686 really stands out because it offers a lot at this price.
-The 740 is twice the price but opens the door to the atmos .4, the 830 (+ 70e) it looks so good... the 840 is 200e more than the 740 but it's a beast & 2019 model.
-the 'reasonable' choice in the list is the NR696 & x2600h ... these are 200e less than the RZ740 and 200e more than the 686 ...

listening room: rather small with 20m²
Your room size is smaller than mine and my 686 fills my room easily so the 686 would easily fill your room. I would say your room is too small for 4 atmos speakers anyway so you would be wasting money on a receiver that does 4 atmos speakers. I would suggest either the 686/696/2600 or 3500.

Brian

indeed the NR717 has largely enough power for this room size...

why would the room be too small for .4 atmos ?
i'm running a 133" screen with the projector and i tought atmos would be a nice upgrade

indeed the NR717 has largely enough power for this room size...

why would the room be too small for .4 atmos ?
i'm running a 133" screen with the projector and i tought atmos would be a nice upgrade
Sorry i picked you up wrong, i meant you would'nt need 4 atmos speakers in your room size. But you could definitely have 2. So a 5.2.1/2 setup would be a nice upgrade.

Brian

Sorry i picked you up wrong, i meant you would'nt need 4 atmos speakers in your room size. But you could definitely have 2. So a 5.2.1/2 setup would be a nice upgrade.

Brian
i have to say i didn't even think about that point, i'll look into it and thanks for the advice

Question - just picked up a NR686 and trying to setup my Roku Ultra.
The Roku test fails trying to do 4k 60fps HDR when going through the receiver, though direct to the TV it works fine.
Is that normal? I assumed that receiver would pass that through - or is that not expected?

Question - just picked up a NR686 and trying to setup my Roku Ultra.
The Roku test fails trying to do 4k 60fps HDR when going through the receiver, though direct to the TV it works fine.
Is that normal? I assumed that receiver would pass that through - or is that not expected?

Hi, you have to manually switch the receiver to "enhanced hdmi" it's mentioned earlier in this thread.

Hello...I am looking at the 686 but have seen sporadic references to Spotify no longer being supported by Onkyo (or the other way around) -- regardless, I am an avid Spotify user -- can anyone confirm that I can or cannot use Spotify with the 686? Thanks.

Hi all

I have purchased the 686.

I wanted to stream/cast movies directly from my phone or alternatively mirror from my phone.

How can I do this using this av receiver?

Thanks

Just purchased the 686 yesterday. I am using XBox 1 S as “hub” and wanting to be able to control volume using the Talon remote. Went through the Xbox set up however only volume down is working using the Talon remote. That said, what is the remote code for the 686?

Hi all

I have purchased the 686.

I wanted to stream/cast movies directly from my phone or alternatively mirror from my phone.

How can I do this using this av receiver?

Thanks
I could be wrong, but your AV has not much to do in all this.
You're casting to your TV or an Android box directly.

Hi all
I'm a new owner and yesterday I noticed my xbox one s connected via the receiver the HDR was not working even though my TV supports it and had deep colour enabled (LG OLED C8).

After loads of google search I found out by default the HDMI are set to standard. On the receiver itself if you press the BD/DVD button + power button you can set the HDMI from standard to enhanced and now HDR works properly with xbox one s.

Hope this helps someone as it is not on the manual at all?? :facepalm:

Edit: doc for switching hdmi modes https://www.onkyo.com/manual/txnr585/supple_585.pdf

Last edited:
Hi all
I'm a new owner and yesterday I noticed my xbox one s connected via the receiver the HDR was not working even though my TV supports it and had deep colour enabled (LG OLED C8).

After loads of google search I found out by default the HDMI are set to standard. On the receiver itself if you press the BD/DVD button + power button you can set the HDMI from standard to enhanced and now HDR works properly with xbox one s.

It was added in a firmware update in April so wasn't there when the manual was produced mate

It was added in a firmware update in April so wasn't there when the manual was produced mate

Oh right! Thanks, I was having a really hard time finding that shortcut. Could you send me a link where I can keep track of what was added to updates?

Thanks

Go to the Onkyo EU website mate and click on the UK site - pretty straightforward from there

I'm in the USA and in the market for my first 4K receiver and I need some help from the experts...so many models and choices that it's easy to get lost in the choices...

I currently have the Denon AVR-791 from 2010...yes long time...I have an LG C7 OLED (4K, Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG)...I'm still happy with my 5.1 Aperion speakers (6 Ohms, 87 dB, Recommended Power= 50-200 Watts) and I have no intention on getting a 7.1 speaker setup anytime soon...I'm looking for something that delivers excellent price/performance preferably under $500 that supports all the HDR formats (except for HDR10+) and would be a nice upgrade and compatible with my current speakers and OLED...I currently am using my AVR-791 receiver with a digital optical cable connected from my TV to the receiver so I can get 5.1 audio from my TV's built-in apps

mainly I'm looking for a nice upgrade that won't break the bank but delivers great audio (especially for 4K Blu-rays and streaming apps like Netflix etc)...anyone have any recommendations?

I've been online today doing some research and the Onkyo looks really tempting for the price...price almost seems too low...I've found a few others that look promising as well...can someone tell me which one they would choose or recommend another one...I'm looking for one that supports all the HDR formats (HDR10+ doesn't matter to me) along with most or all of the audio formats (although Atmos is not vital for me right now and is more of a future upgrade path)...thanks for any help

Onkyo TX-NR686
Denon AVR-X2500H
Sony STR-DN1080

Last edited:
Hi all

Edit: doc for switching hdmi modes https://www.onkyo.com/manual/txnr585/supple_585.pdf

Nice one, this was driving me mad and I remember reading somewhere about switching hdmi to enhanced but wasn't sure how or if this was related.
Out of interest have you tried Dolby Atmos from the xbox. The av sync on mine is terrible. So much so that adjusting the sync on the receiver doesn't go high enough to compensate.

I've had to change the xbox settings back dd5.1

Nice one, this was driving me mad and I remember reading somewhere about switching hdmi to enhanced but wasn't sure how or if this was related.
Out of interest have you tried Dolby Atmos from the xbox. The av sync on mine is terrible. So much so that adjusting the sync on the receiver doesn't go high enough to compensate.

I've had to change the xbox settings back dd5.1
I've not actually, the only atmos I've had are from netflix (tv app) and ATV itune movies, neither have sync issue but I'm guessing because its coming from a streaming service it must compressed.

Both the Jurassic movies, only 4k BD I have only have DTX

I've not actually, the only atmos I've had are from netflix (tv app) and ATV itune movies, neither have sync issue but I'm guessing because its coming from a streaming service it must compressed.

Both the Jurassic movies, only 4k BD I have only have DTX

I only get Atmos sync issues from the xbox (one x).
I use the tv's built in apps with no issues and have a dedicated 4k bluray player with no issues.

I'll try connecting the xbox direct the onkyo tonight now I know how to change the hdmi settings to enhanced.

I only get Atmos sync issues from the xbox (one x).
I use the tv's built in apps with no issues and have a dedicated 4k bluray player with no issues.

I'll try connecting the xbox direct the onkyo tonight now I know how to change the hdmi settings to enhanced.
Hey how did it go? Interested to know.

I'm wondering because you connected your xbox to the TV then sound via the receiver the problem is due to no eARC support from your tv so the data is not being transferred fast enough hence the delay.

Hey how did it go? Interested to know.

I'm wondering because you connected your xbox to the TV then sound via the receiver the problem is due to no eARC support from your tv so the data is not being transferred fast enough hence the delay.

All good now thanks, no delay from Atmos with the Xbox going through the receiver first.

I'm in the USA and in the market for my first 4K receiver and I need some help from the experts...so many models and choices that it's easy to get lost in the choices...

Onkyo TX-NR686
Denon AVR-X2500H
Sony STR-DN1080

2019 models
TX-NR696 & x2600h, you should find them around 450-499$
You can't go wrong with those

2019 models
TX-NR696 & x2600h, you should find them around 450-499$
You can't go wrong with those

I've been thinking of picking up a TX-NR686 for some time. I just noticed Best Buy has them for $250 now, as part of their Black Friday sale. I have no idea when the sale ends, but if anyone was considering getting one of these, that seems like a pretty decent deal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom